Premed 101 Forums

Conduct Violation

In my first year of university I had an alcohol-related non-academic conduct violation. Is this going to hinder my application to medical schools? I know on Dal's application, they ask about conduct violations. But what about other schools? Is this bad news for me? I have turned my life around since then and my grades and involvement reflect that, but will this hurt my chances?

In my first year of university I had an alcohol-related non-academic conduct violation. Is this going to hinder my application to medical schools? I know on Dal's application, they ask about conduct violations. But what about other schools? Is this bad news for me? I have turned my life around since then and my grades and involvement reflect that, but will this hurt my chances?

As long as you didnt get a criminal record i think you should be fine for ontario schools, but it wouldnt hurt to just email schools your considering

i cant think of how the application process (at least in ontario) would turn up something like a non-academic conduct violation. As previously mentioned , i think so long as there was no criminal conviction then med schools would be blinded to it. But as with everything the final word comes form the admission office/website of the respective schools and you should check with them

i would under no circumstances call the adcoms from your own phone number, this could cause you to be red-flagged. if you really need to call, then call from the google phone to remain anonymous. if it makes you feel any better, im pretty sure they are not able to access this type of personal information, but im not absolutely sure.

i would under no circumstances call the adcoms from your own phone number, this could cause you to be red-flagged. if you really need to call, then call from the google phone to remain anonymous. if it makes you feel any better, im pretty sure they are not able to access this type of personal information, but im not absolutely sure.

and in line with this, if you're going to e mail them and want to be completely safe, i'd either make a new one or one that you're sure they'll never see again (ie if you made one 100 years ago and it's like "kingofpandas@hotmail.com" or something.... and none of the adcoms knew you back then [LOLL at that]). and then there's the IP... but i'm pretty sure that's like invasion of privacy if the adcoms are tracking where you're sending stuff from, LOL. and i don't even think they're capable of doing so.

Why are so many med students paranoid?

I would just call them, I would even give them my name if they asked. Here is the logic:

1) If they don't have a policy about the violation then they won't care if you have one.

2) If they do care, you aren't going to apply there anyway because it is not like you can lie about not having it.

For all you CIA wannabes here is the deal: med schools are giant bureaucratic organizations that receive thousands of phone calls a year asking questions that range from mundane to outright stupid. They have neither the man power nor the desire to maintain records on phone calls or make "red flags" on files for people who have not even applied. Med schools don't share information with each other about who has applied to their individual schools. They are also as "blind" and fair as they can possibly be, this isn't necessarily by choice but its the way it is. There is no file or information kept on you until you fill out and submit an official application (which they receive thousands of). They do not collect extraneous information! There is no facebook searches! They do not call your neighbours! And they do not check their imaginary phone logs to see if you once called asking about a conduct violation and then ASSUME YOU HAVE COMMITTED ONE BEFORE DISPATCHING A CRACK TEAM OF NINJA PRIVATE DETECTIVES TO CONFIRM IT BY KIDNAPPING EVERYONE CLOSE TO YOU AND SUBJECTING THEM TO WATER BOARDING!

Lol, love it.

I would just call them, I would even give them my name if they asked. Here is the logic:

1) If they don't have a policy about the violation then they won't care if you have one.

2) If they do care, you aren't going to apply there anyway because it is not like you can lie about not having it.

For all you CIA wannabes here is the deal: med schools are giant bureaucratic organizations that receive thousands of phone calls a year asking questions that range from mundane to outright stupid. They have neither the man power nor the desire to maintain records on phone calls or make "red flags" on files for people who have not even applied. Med schools don't share information with each other about who has applied to their individual schools. They are also as "blind" and fair as they can possibly be, this isn't necessarily by choice but its the way it is. There is no file or information kept on you until you fill out and submit an official application (which they receive thousands of). They do not collect extraneous information! There is no facebook searches! They do not call your neighbours! And they do not check their imaginary phone logs to see if you once called asking about a conduct violation and then ASSUME YOU HAVE COMMITTED ONE BEFORE DISPATCHING A CRACK TEAM OF NINJA PRIVATE DETECTIVES TO CONFIRM IT BY KIDNAPPING EVERYONE CLOSE TO YOU AND SUBJECTING THEM TO WATER BOARDING!

lol its fair to say im somewhat paranoid. but should your application be red-flagged, this information is in fact shared with all registrars ate all canadian universities. id rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my educational career, whether that includes medicine or not.

Thank you.

I can't imagine what this "conduct violation" would really be, but it can't be worse then med students ending up in the drunk tank or some bringing outside drinks into the lounge, resulting in the suspension of its liquor license.

If you have no criminal record - and especially if this conduct violation doesn't even show up on your transcript - then it shouldn't matter. By all means call the school too. I understand why you'd be worried about what others would think, but I also think that people will be understanding and - in any case - unlikely to remember who specifically called about that issue. Dummy phone numbers or email accounts are going quite beyond what's necessary.

Wait a second.... They don't do that??? Then what the hell happened to me each of the 3 times I applied.....:confused:

;)

Archived