Premed 101 Forums

which practice test should I use?

a2sanche

do you guys recommend AAMC practice tests or examkrackers, kaplan or any other? which one simulates the actual MCAT the most?

and also, is the MCAT completely computerized now? meaning no paper at all? Im writing aug 17th in Mississauga.

thanks

Aamc practice tests are the best tests to use as they were previous passages of previous mcats. How you score on the aamcs (especially the later ones) will predict your true score within 1-2 points. The tests are all computer based.

Which ones are considered the "later ones"? I don't have too much time, so I want to do the ones that are most representative. Are 7 and 8 too early?

11 is apparently the best indicator of your actual score. That should probably be your last test, unless you want an ego boost from one of the easier ones. Otherwise do as many as you can, going in order, working your way to 11. Start at 7 or 8 if you don't have enough time.

11 is apparently the best indicator of your actual score. That should probably be your last test, unless you want an ego boost from one of the easier ones. Otherwise do as many as you can, going in order, working your way to 11. Start at 7 or 8 if you don't have enough time.

This is good advice, try and work up from 7 if you have the time to. 11 is your benchmark, save that for last.

i'm not even sure it's possible to fluke your way into a 15. LOL.

I really think it was a fluke! I never took high school physics and took fake university physics. I did the EK 1001 Physics book and got most of the questions wrong. Ooohh and I also got so, so many of the questions wrong in my Kaplan book. (Although it only had around 35 physics questions. Silly Kaplan. One cannot learn with 35 practice questions.) I'm fairly okay at general chem, but that shouldn't redeem me too much, no?

I really think it was a fluke! I never took high school physics and took fake university physics. I did the EK 1001 Physics book and got most of the questions wrong. Ooohh and I also got so, so many of the questions wrong in my Kaplan book. (Although it only had around 35 physics questions. Silly Kaplan. One cannot learn with 35 practice questions.) I'm fairly okay at general chem, but that shouldn't redeem me too much, no?

Well this gives me hope, because i'm decent at gen chem but I have some glaring weaknesses in physics (**** you fluids!).

For the record: the 15 was a fluke!! :P I did AAMC 9 and got a 13. All is well in the universe.

sorry, but no :P. the difference between 13 and 15 is like 4 questions. i have no doubt that you're def deserving of a 15, and the rest is just chance. so i guess you could say you got lucky, but what i mean is that if you got the 15, you desrved it. it wasnt as if you deserved an 8 and got 15 lol. i'd call THAT a fluke. getting a 15 if you deserve a 13/14.... you're "up there", is my point. (maybe you even deserve a 15 and the 13 was just chance). in any case, keep at it, because thats sweet. and def dont get it into your head that you dont deserve a 15 lol. keep pushing for as high as you can get!

sorry, but no :P. the difference between 13 and 15 is like 4 questions. i have no doubt that you're def deserving of a 15, and the rest is just chance. so i guess you could say you got lucky, but what i mean is that if you got the 15, you desrved it. it wasnt as if you deserved an 8 and got 15 lol. i'd call THAT a fluke. getting a 15 if you deserve a 13/14.... you're "up there", is my point. (maybe you even deserve a 15 and the 13 was just chance). in any case, keep at it, because thats sweet. and def dont get it into your head that you dont deserve a 15 lol. keep pushing for as high as you can get!

Haha okay. And thanks so much for the motivation! Very much appreciated :D

Holy crap FrenchToast! Well done! Did you do a lot of practice passages before doing the FLs? When do you write?

Loooool thanks. I'm hoping they don't go plummeting to the floor with AAMC 10 and 11.. and the actual things obvs.

I did not do a lot of practice passages, unfortunately. My stupid Kaplan Premier book has like 4 passages for each of Bio, Gen Chem, Orgo and Physics. It's so frustrating. So I've mostly been focusing on content review.

I'm supposed to write September 1, but I reaaally hope I can move it to Aug 16 or 17 so I have a teensy break before school.

Well doesn't seem like you need it! I'm writing on Sept 1st too though I'm not nearly as ready as you. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain a little. How did you do content review? Esp for gchem, ochem, and physics?

WOW for not doing grade 12 physics you're doing excellent!

How did you go about learning the physics? Did you only use the Kaplan book?

I shall attempt to answer both of you peeps at once because I am a bit lazy today - sorry!

I went through the Kaplan book and made notes because I'd never learned most of the bio and physics before. These notes were done by hand. Then, I did all 1001 EK physics questions (not the chem or orgo, and only some of the bio). I got maaaaaany many many of them wrong. Then, I felt like I'd forgotten most of the content again. I made a second set of notes by computer. Then I tried to memorize stuff/review for a while, just like I'd do before any test. Then I did a teeny bit of practice. Then I made another set of notes, this time super duper condensed and written by hand. Also, I never looked at all of the EK questions I got wrong again... probably a bad call. The laziness disease prevails again.

I think what I did goes against what all the test prep companies would say though? :confused:

Wow' date=' FrenchToast, that's awesome.

How'd you prep for verbal?[/quote']

Lolzie, thanks. Just EK 1001, you know, the yooj. Wish I could give some actual, innovative advice :P. I always try to be super critical, but also quite general, when I am scrutinizing what I got wrong. I think it helped me get from a 10 on my first few EK tests to usually about a 12 (on EK). The last AAMC one I did (#9) I got a 14 on VR though, so maybe doing the EK has helped? Idk. I think it's mostly luck.

Archived