Premed 101 Forums

OSAP income

I am doing a bit of research in the summer... was happy to do it for no pay, because i wanted some freedom and didn't want to lock myself into a scholarship... initially i was working for no money... but my supervisor recently said that he's going to give me a couple of thousand anyways

in terms of OSAP, and your aid being based partially on income... is it a 1:1 ratio? According to the aid estimator, it seems to be, as i'm quoted around 21k without pay and around 19k with the $2000 summer pay... but i'm not sure how accurate the aid estimator is

if this is the case, and it is 1:1 deduction, i figure i might as well just say no thanks to the $2000, since i will be getting $2000 extra from osap anyways

(kind of a dumb system - benefits vacationers more than summer workers)

But then you would owe $2000 extra to OSAP instead.. which after it goes into repayment has interest against it.. take the earned $2000 that does not have interest against it.. no way will it put you above your personal amount when you claim it on your taxes and it all works out to you having that money anyway..

if this is the case, and it is 1:1 deduction, i figure i might as well just say no thanks to the $2000, since i will be getting $2000 extra from osap anyways

(kind of a dumb system - benefits vacationers more than summer workers)

Had identical situation in Quebec, refusing pay for same reason.

Archived