Premed 101 Forums

I Might need some help on understanding this!!!

Well next Year is my last year of high school.

and So far i made up my Mind on becoming a MD as a career!

This year i'm going to complete these following courses:

Math 30-1

English 30-1

Biology 30

Physics 30.

I was looking into ever university and colleges that allowed these requirement but none have told me anything but all Sciences.

I was wondering do i need Chemistry since i only have grade 11 Chem.

It will be quite hard to squeeze it into my course timetable.

I just need some help on what courses i should need to be done and

What *pre med school* should i look into any where around (Canada).

I want to be a physician or a infectious disease but don't know where to start from or look for!

Math 30-1

English 30-1

Biology 30

Physics 30.

I was looking into ever university and colleges that allowed these requirement but none have told me anything but all Sciences.

I want to be a physician or a infectious disease but don't know where to start from or look for!

Please make an appointment with your guidance counselor.

Math 30-1

English 30-1

Biology 30

Physics 30.

Hey, taking grade 12 chem would be a idea since it will be on the MCAT and you may have to take a chem uni course as part of your degree or as a requirement to apply to (some) med schools

Any school in Canada offering any degree is considered equally. There is no "pre med" school or program in Canada, you just need a 4-year degree (some accept a 3-year degree, I believe, but this is unusual) and to take the Medical College Admissions Test before applying! Some medical schools have certain courses that you need to take a prerequisites, which you can take either as part of your degree or on the side.

http://www.medaholic.com/canadian-medical-schools-prerequisites-summary/

Each med school has different requirements. Some do not require any specific prereq courses, just that you have your degree completed. The average acceptee to a med school in Canada has a 3.8-3.9 GPA, though many get in with a 3.7 and few get in with a 3.6 or lower (though it's possible). All degrees are counted equally, with no preference for science students, so do a degree you love. This will help you get better grades as well, if you care about your courses :) So whether you study biochemistry, music, English or whatever, it all counts!

Most schools like you to have long-term volunteer experience, showing leadership, dedication (which is shown by long-term volunteering) and compassion for people/concern for the community.

Do lots of googling, there's a lot of information out there! Check out school websites (UBC, U of Alberta, U of Sask, Ottawa, McMaster, Dalhousie U, Memorial U, U of Toronto, U of Western Ontario, and others!) and explore this forum a lot! Good luck!

*also, if you take high school physics, chemistry, biology and English, they will help you on the MCAT. Get some MCAT prep books after you graduate high school and it will review that stuff as well as teach you more of what you need to know for it. Some med schools let you apply after only 2 or 3 years of your 4-year degree so you may not even need to finish the full degree.

Math 30-1

English 30-1

Biology 30

Physics 30.

I did all of these courses in high school, and believe me, it isn't very difficult to do.

You should definitely do Chemistry as it is a requirement for Intro CHEM and you will very likely have to do it if you want to go into Sciences.

this is a plus if you want to get in early, i didnt have a couple of those prereqs so i didnt take my mcat until the end of my degree!

Some med schools let you apply after only 2 or 3 years of your 4-year degree so you may not even need to finish the full degree.

Archived