Premed 101 Forums

Best 2 year policy

Hi there,

My last 3yrs have not been so great so I'm thinking of doing an extra year as it would be a 5th yr. So this september I'll be in my fourth year and would not graduate until I finish my fifth year.

That being said will Western, queens, calgary, Dal( lived in NS for 5yrs) and Saskatchewan consider my 5th year as my recent two last years for my gpa calculation.

Thanks in advance.

P.S Also please let me know if I have missed any other schools that look at your last two years.

Hi there,

My last 3yrs have not been so great so I'm thinking of doing an extra year as it would be a 5th yr. So this september I'll be in my fourth year and would not graduate until I finish my fifth year.

That being said will Western, queens, calgary, Dal( lived in NS for 5yrs) and Saskatchewan consider my 5th year as my recent two last years for my gpa calculation.

Thanks in advance.

P.S Also please let me know if I have missed any other schools that look at your last two years.

Calgary changed their policy last cycle. It's now cumulative minus your worst year. In other words, I wouldn't bother applying there. For Dal, Queens, Sask, you'll need to wait until after completion of your 5th year to apply. For Western, you can apply in Sept of your 5th year.

Great, thank you so much, so for western if they do grant you an interview will that be based on your 4th year marks or cumulative years marks since you haven't completed fifth year as of yet.

Thanks

You can get an interview based on your 4th year marks and if you get an acceptance, it'll be conditional upon meeting the grade requirements in your 5th year. If you don't, they rescind the offer...western only requires a 3.7 though, so it's very attainable :)

If you're OOP for Sask I'm afraid the 2 best year policy isn't in place anymore. You now need to hold a degree (or in your final year of completing one) with cGPA > 83%. But once you have that, it's your MCAT score that's going to get you an interview.

From their application manual… (http://www.medicine.usask.ca/education/medical/undergrad/admissions/admissions-information/Applicant%20Information%202013)

"Academic performance for Out-of-Province residents will be based on the MCAT Verbal Reasoning + Physical Sciences + Biological Sciences total score along with a required minimum GPA of 83% over all course work (leading towards a four year degree) that is completed prior to application. Remaining courses completed for the degree after the date of application must minimally average 83%, as well."

"Selection of applicants invited to interview will be based on the MCAT Verbal Reasoning + Physical Sciences + Biological Sciences total score (MCAT Sum), with the Verbal Reasoning score being used to break ties."

BUT these new requirements for OOP haven't been approved yet (pending Oct 20) so you never know, I guess.

Archived