Premed 101 Forums

Quebec - Aide Financiere Aux Etudes participating banks

Do any of the Quebec students here receiving governement financial aid know if there's a way to avoid opening an account with one of the banks participating in the program (RBC, National Bank, Desjardins, BMO and Laurentian) to receive the aid? i.e. can you just present the Guarantee Certificate to one of those banks, but have the funds deposited at a bank that doesn't participate like Scotia or TD?

(Sorry for the repost - Removed this question from the LOC thread)

I'd just keep a chequeing account at of the gov-approved banks and transfer all the deposit money to your primary bank.

Ya, that is of course doable, I'm just wondering if it's necessary. It can be a hassle transferring money between checking accounts at different banks.

Has anyone had success receiving their QC student financial aid direct deposited to, say, TD or Scotia?

It is necessary to open an account with the banks appointed.

Personally, I have a bank account with BMO, it offers great services and the money always arrives on time.

Ya, that is of course doable, I'm just wondering if it's necessary. It can be a hassle transferring money between checking accounts at different banks.

Has anyone had success receiving their QC student financial aid direct deposited to, say, TD or Scotia?

It is necessary to open an account with the banks appointed.

Personally, I have a bank account with BMO, it offers great services and the money always arrives on time.

Ok, thanks! Not the end of the world. Considering the fact that the QC government will do direct deposit to any bank for things like income tax refunds or Solidarity Tax credits (and already have the banking information for many of us on file!), it is a bit of a pain that they wouldn't just do the same for student financial aid, though. But I guess when you're talking about the Quebec government, logic doesn't always prevail.

• 2 months later...

There could be a number of requirements that you must care for, like for example housing, education or foods, along with a large amount of various other every day necessities. Consequently, your main concern must be to select financial assistance for unmarried parents that can accomplish any of your requirements and put your life at ease.

Ok, thanks! Not the end of the world. Considering the fact that the QC government will do direct deposit to any bank for things like income tax refunds or Solidarity Tax credits (and already have the banking information for many of us on file!), it is a bit of a pain that they wouldn't just do the same for student financial aid, though. But I guess when you're talking about the Quebec government, logic doesn't always prevail.

Well, that's because the money does not come from the government but from the bank. Quebec doesn't loan you money, the bank is. It's just that while you're a student, the government is responsible to pay for any interests encounter on your loan.

Archived