Premed 101 Forums

What makes you 'med'

Sure grades and ECAs are important aspects of getting into med school. But out of curiosity, how much does a person's personality matter?

Does someone who is more outgoing, and friendly, have a better chance of getting in than someone who is more shy and reserved given that they are equally hard working? Would interviewers be able to catch on to this? Does it matter at all?

Sure grades and ECAs are important aspects of getting into med school. But out of curiosity, how much does a person's personality matter?

Does someone who is more outgoing, and friendly, have a better chance of getting in than someone who is more shy and reserved given that they are equally hard working? Would interviewers be able to catch on to this? Does it matter at all?

As a physician, your personality and attitude will matter a lot. As for it's importance for getting into medical school, and how its evaluated in an interview, if you're a cocky ******* I couldn't imagine things turning out well. But like most other premeds what do we really know about the admission procedure with respect to something like this. All we can do is speculate, and give blind answers, that hopefully are reassuring to you.

Someone who is more friendly and outgoing will probably be more open about their experiences as opposed to someone more shy and reserved. From my experience as a human, typically humans like friendly people.

diff personalities excel at different specialties i find

I tend to agree with Muse - there is room for most types in medicine. There is a HUGE assortment of personalities in my class.

I would refer you to this hilarious cartoon by Michelle Au: http://www.doctorshangout.com/forum/topics/12-types-of-medical-students (I think everyone knows me as the one-track mind -snerk-)

When it comes to interviews, I guess nobody really knows what they look for - whether all these personalities are really just fine, or if a lot of people manage to fake it. I think that I come off in interviews as more outgoing and confident than I actually am - I am one of the more quiet/shy people in my class.

But we will all be doctors and I suppose we will all find our niche in the end.

I tend to agree with Muse - there is room for most types in medicine. There is a HUGE assortment of personalities in my class.

I would refer you to this hilarious cartoon by Michelle Au: http://www.doctorshangout.com/forum/topics/12-types-of-medical-students (I think everyone knows me as the one-track mind -snerk-)

When it comes to interviews, I guess nobody really knows what they look for - whether all these personalities are really just fine, or if a lot of people manage to fake it. I think that I come off in interviews as more outgoing and confident than I actually am - I am one of the more quiet/shy people in my class.

But we will all be doctors and I suppose we will all find our niche in the end.

That's a relief to hear. From what I've heard, being yourself and being honest are two of the most important qualities during the interview, corny as that sounds.

Outgoing/reserved is a different thing from likeable/unlikeable, trustworthy/untrustworthy, friendly/unfriendly, etc.

oh my, a quick bunch of monologues from life

wow, did he just hug that homeless guy to build rapport, wow, and they're conversing... gasp... my god, why doesn't this person shut up in patient care class or ethics... ughhh, these are the bs classes where i play online poker... you worked in the inner city (the grimy clinic, ot the "we want to help homeless and look good clinic"), wow, i didn't know anyone did that, most people go to the talk the doctor who works there gives, but you must be brave to actually do it... my god, is he talking about prescription heroin... for treatment refractory on methadone... my god, he has sources, a lot of them, in his head... wow, sais one person in er, that student is going to pod __ (where all the acute psychotic people who aren't immediate threats stay) and is conversing with the schizophrenics (usually they sit their along... which is scary if youre hearing voices, lol... you know drug dealers... why do they do it... one guys mom had a stroke, has minor fas... and he wanted to buy her a place to live... whooooaaaa (other person is thinking so theyre not all scumbags)... doctor i'm shaddowing: why don't you do the therapy, we'll pretend you're a resident... lol, o man

Archived