Premed 101 Forums

Research project vs Thesis

brain-storm

At the university I attend, there are two courses that are offered in 4th year for research.

One is the research project course: this is only 1 semester and no presentation is required; all that is required is a submission of a paper.

The thesis course: is two semesters, requires a paper submission, in addition to presentations.

The thesis course shows up on the degree as 'with thesis' but the research project doesn't.

Either way, both show reserach experience. Does one prove to be better than the other for medical school admission? Any insight would be awesome!

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
At the university I attend, there are two courses that are offered in 4th year for research.

One is the research project course: this is only 1 semester and no presentation is required; all that is required is a submission of a paper.

The thesis course: is two semesters, requires a paper submission, in addition to presentations.

The thesis course shows up on the degree as 'with thesis' but the research project doesn't.

Either way, both show reserach experience. Does one prove to be better than the other for medical school admission? Any insight would be awesome!

Thanks.

It depends on what you want to do and how much time you want to spend on it. I am doing a thesis honors but I have been doing research in this lab 2 years prior to this year and this past summer had an NSERC in this lab so it was natural progression for me. You can also look into getting a volunteer or paid research position through grants with any science research profs you might know. I worked part-time for this lab in second and third year. I also took an independent led lab course that was brand new last year got the worst mark I ever have in any course as I was not used to leading myself yet (or writing scientifically), it provided a massive insight into my honors and I think my honors may have flopped had I not had this experience. Talk to the profs/supervisor and see what they have in mind for you. It is really worth it to have more research it may make up in other areas but it is about being well-balanced to. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Look at the pros/cons of both choices:

Choice #1

Pro: No presentation and probably less work

Con: No REAL research involved, therefore doesn't count as research experience in a lab (which is what many schools like, ex. UofT med)

Choice #2

Pro: Actual research position involving real research

High chance of getting a reference letter

Perhaps publications involved

Con: Presentation? + more work? ....But remember if you can't do a presentation, what makes you think you'll be able to do well in an interview?

Therefore I have no idea why most of the other posters say the first choice is a better one. From my point of view, there is no benefit from the first choice, the 2nd choice requires more work but has ALOT more benefit in the long run. If you want to do medical school, don't be afraid of challenges. That's all.

Archived