Premed 101 Forums

being an adult

momo555

Being an adult is difficult.

I was recently hired in a private clinic doing a job that high school grad was doing previously (I have BSc and MSc). However, I am earning ok (I think... put clothes on my back, housing, food) and learning a lot about body part I was interested in.

Most of all, I have never been exposed to an environment such as this and being able to interact with patients is valuable to me.

However, my cousin who lives in Asia, works for a big company (S electronic) and is earning about $65,000. She started working right after she finished BA and in Asia so it's her 4th year now there,,, but now , that's lot of money (If in Canada, that's lot of money, think about in Asia where things are lot cheaper lol).

I admit she is much smarter than I am and I was actually quite disappointed that she chose that life... she could have been much bigger (like in academia, or academia :P ).

So then I started thinking about how much I am earning (which is half of that and no benefit, since its a mid-size clinic therefore not enough employee) and it made me feel little depressed, it wasn't only moment ago that I was perfectly happy with my own income lol.

there are people who makes less money but are happy and there are people who are so-so but makes lot of money imo.

Finding balance seems so difficult.

I'm finding becoming adult little sad and difficult at the moment and continue to doubt myself, if I should keep dreaming or not.

i don't know what not means... do what makes you happy, people at the very top of their field often aren't motivated by money... it pays better to be mediocre, seriously...

Being an adult is difficult.

I was recently hired in a private clinic doing a job that high school grad was doing previously (I have BSc and MSc). However, I am earning ok (I think... put clothes on my back, housing, food) and learning a lot about body part I was interested in.

Most of all, I have never been exposed to an environment such as this and being able to interact with patients is valuable to me.

However, my cousin who lives in Asia, works for a big company (S electronic) and is earning about $65,000. She started working right after she finished BA and in Asia so it's her 4th year now there,,, but now , that's lot of money (If in Canada, that's lot of money, think about in Asia where things are lot cheaper lol).

I admit she is much smarter than I am and I was actually quite disappointed that she chose that life... she could have been much bigger (like in academia, or academia :P ).

So then I started thinking about how much I am earning (which is half of that and no benefit, since its a mid-size clinic therefore not enough employee) and it made me feel little depressed, it wasn't only moment ago that I was perfectly happy with my own income lol.

there are people who makes less money but are happy and there are people who are so-so but makes lot of money imo.

Finding balance seems so difficult.

I'm finding becoming adult little sad and difficult at the moment and continue to doubt myself, if I should keep dreaming or not.

No matter what career you're in, you have to work your way up and build yourself as a marketable employee.

Each job you manage to get, no matter how small, can be used as an opportunity to establish yourself as a valuable employee. Work your ass off, network all.the.time, and build a reputation for yourself to work your way up to where you want to be.

I used to work in staffing and the most bloody frustrating thing is recent grads with little to no experience expecting to somehow immediately have great careers and getting all discouraged when they can't get great jobs right away.

You're absolutely right, being a grown up is incredibly hard because it means being 100% responsible for your own actions and choices and the consequences. There's no one to tell you what to do or how to do it.

If you want a higher paying job, do the research, find out what jobs you think you want, find ways to network with people in those companies, and work like a mad fiend at your current job so that there's proof that you're worth investing in.

It's hard.

Everything worth doing is hard.

The hardest part?

Figuring out what you really want.

Sound advice. Halfway through my M.Sc. I realized that I wasn't going to be happy doing that for the rest of my life. That's when I returned to my pursuit of medicine, if medicine didn't work out I wanted to become a police officer. Those were two careers that I knew I would be happy doing regardless of income. Further, I believe if you're happy doing what you're doing for work you'll work harder, be more productive, and chances are you'll make more money because of it. That's not to say that you can't get promoted in a job you hate, I just think its easier/more enjoyable when its something you like doing.

Archived