Premed 101 Forums

URGENT!! At Intersection of Life

Hi folks,

Let me briefly introduce myself. I am in UTM commerce 2nd year. I got 3.55 in 1st year. Recently, I realized that I wanna be a physician more than i wanna be a banker and my research tells me if I stay in Utm next year, my path of becoming a physician will be tougher than almost anything i have encountered,

since I need to ace almost every single course in next 2 years in UofT (GPA KILLER) to get 3.85, on top of this, I gotta take phy,chem, bio, which I have absolutely no knowledge in (I failed my grade 10 bio and ever since, i didn't any science course).

However, I work very hard and am confident that I will make up my lack of science knowledges within a year. Because the GPA issue in UofT, program constraints, lack of knowledge in every science subject, I think transferring to other 2nd tier schools will give me a better chance. Since it is already mid-july, there only few programs i can transfer to. i.e. York- kin&health sci.

Do you guys think it is a decent program for getting a good gpa for med schools?

1. Do you guys know any other programs that are accepting transfer applicants?

2. Do you think students like me (lack of science knowledge) with tons of effort will succeed in getting into a med school? (I am in a dilemma whether I should keep the pursuit of my doctor dream)

3. Do you know there are better programs than york for a decent gpa that are available?

Any advice will be very much appreciated

Hi folks,

Let me briefly introduce myself. I am in UTM commerce 2nd year. I got 3.55 in 1st year. Recently, I realized that I wanna be a physician more than i wanna be a banker and my research tells me if I stay in Utm next year, my path of becoming a physician will be tougher than almost anything i have encountered,

since I need to ace almost every single course in next 2 years in UofT (GPA KILLER) to get 3.85, on top of this, I gotta take phy,chem, bio, which I have absolutely no knowledge in (I failed my grade 10 bio and ever since, i didn't any science course).

However, I work very hard and am confident that I will make up my lack of science knowledges within a year. Because the GPA issue in UofT, program constraints, lack of knowledge in every science subject, I think transferring to other 2nd tier schools will give me a better chance. Since it is already mid-july, there only few programs i can transfer to. i.e. York- kin&health sci.

Do you guys think it is a decent program for getting a good gpa for med schools?

2. Do you think students like me (lack of science knowledge) with tons of effort will succeed in getting into a med school? (I am in a dilemma whether I should keep the pursuit of my doctor dream)

3. Do you know there are better programs than york for a decent gpa that are available?

You are going into the right program because you will have both BA in kine and BSc in kine students in your core classes. But the reason why its easy is because of the BA students... they don't even know how to use a calculator (for biomechanics)! Since you have literally no science background, it will not be easy for you to get a 3.85+ gpa. And when we say its easy, its easy for the pure science/life sci students. But its a better choice compared to bio or chem at york.

The "easiest" program available at york is kine and psyc but it really depends on your background. Why do you want to do a science degree? Why not stay with business or economics? You don't need a science degree to get into medschool. Also, chem and physics at york are not easy and are the same difficulty as at uoft or even tougher depending on the prof! Don't just assume its going to be an easy path if you switch out. You might also want to consider western if you don't get into york (its pretty late): westerns grade distribution rules are pretty soft so its a good school to get a 3.8+ gpa:

For ex: Averages should be around

70% for Introduction to Psychology

70% for courses in the 2000-2099 range

72% for courses in the 2100-2999 range

75% for courses in the 3000-3999 range

80% for 4000-4999

http://www.psychology.uwo.ca/pdfs/course-instructor-manual.pdf

For ex: Averages should be around

70% for Introduction to Psychology

70% for courses in the 2000-2099 range

72% for courses in the 2100-2999 range

75% for courses in the 3000-3999 range

80% for 4000-4999

http://www.psychology.uwo.ca/pdfs/course-instructor-manual.pdf

WTF I just puked a little

OP, do kin it's easy appearantly. Don't worry about the lack of science knowledge. Assuming you know how to do algebra and calculus you'll be fine in chem and physics, and intro to bio's pretty easy, don't really need background info for it

Thanks for the reply and your infos man. And yes I dont really have a perfreence in any program or uni, I just wanna get a good gpa and get the hell of undergraduate. Do you think the Glendon business program will be a wise choice for gpa? At least, I been told it is one of the crappest also the easiest business programs in Canada. And would med schools evaluate my file differently or there be a difference if I transfer next year ( the end of 2nd year), which I will already have taken 10 credits in u of t because when I transfer, the grades of the 10 credits cannot be transferred. Would it make any difference if there are no grades for half of my courses on My York transcript when I graduate ? Thanks

Thanks for the reply and your infos man. And yes I dont really have a perfreence in any program or uni, I just wanna get a good gpa and get the hell of undergraduate. Do you think the Glendon business program will be a wise choice for gpa? At least, I been told it is one of the crappest also the easiest business programs in Canada. And would med schools evaluate my file differently or there be a difference if I transfer next year ( the end of 2nd year), which I will already have taken 10 credits in u of t because when I transfer, the grades of the 10 credits cannot be transferred. Would it make any difference if there are no grades for half of my courses on My York transcript when I graduate ? Thanks

You have to submit ALL your transcripts (UT and York) to OMSAS once you apply. The med schools that look at cGPA will still take your UT marks into consideration.

and for the prerequisites i.e. organic science, biology, etc. if I use the credit/no credit option on these courses, which there are only "pass" on my transcript, will med schools accept this ?

Depends on which med school. Should contact the ones you are applying to and ask. But it's a good idea to avoid these courses so that you won't experience any complications when it comes to applying to certain med schools.

i didnt take bio or know like ****ing any chemistry going into university, plus took physics like 3 years after i did it in high school... I still remember my grades in those classes because, besides the one bio, they were some of my fave in university.... A+ A+ A+ A- A- A-.... i honestly didn't even know what a nucleus was, no joke... if you work hard, you'll prob do better because all the first year students recognize some of the material (apparently, lol) and think it's very reviewish, and from what i've heard in the middle of the semester most people are like wtf is with all this new stuff... it was all new for me from begining so i took it more seriously... so seriously... you'll ace the prereqs if you're serious

take a generalist program... psych, bio, kinesiology... something like that

Hi folks,

i still don't know calculus... at all, LOL... algebra... good thing i took that in summer, the techer had 8 students and gave everyone a good mark, the lowest was a b+ (me, but he didn't count the midterm i got like 30 percent on, lol... he had an msc and was going into business, and didnt care... playing in same sports league prob also helped, lol... maybe, lol)

WTF I just puked a little

OP, do kin it's easy appearantly. Don't worry about the lack of science knowledge. Assuming you know how to do algebra and calculus

I would say stick to KINE or psych at YorkU.

I am a YorkU - Hons Biology student. And to the person said bio, chem, phys are hard at yorku , that is true. I'd say chem is harder at yorku than U of T. Physics no experience so dont know. When you hit 2nd year or 3rd year, you will know what biology is really like Lol. but if you can grasp biology concepts quickly, memorize, and enjoy animals and ecology or biochemistry, then do biology at yorku.

And yes, DO TAKE it SERIOUSLY! I didn't take my science courses seriously because i had taken all 3 sciences and two maths and english in grade 12 with relatively high marks. So take it seriously. don't fool around thinking its yorku, it'll be easy lol. Trust me, thats not the case.

I was recommend by biol department at yorku, to AVOID pass grade option. It doesn't look good on your transcript.

Kine is easier though, but many complain about it lol. They are not good with calculus, algebra, chem and physics and even biology.

If you are hard working effectively and studying smart, you'd Ace. This is not just for kine, any major. Although Math and Chem major still suffer despite that .

Archived