Premed 101 Forums

No research pubs?

Hey everyone!

There's a whole section on the UC app for research pubs. I haven't a single research pub...this is the same with UBC and UofA I believe.

So essentially I'm just going to be leaving this entire section blank, aren't I? Is that going to affect my application very negatively? Or is it not uncommon to have this whole section blank? (I'm still in my undergraduate program, by the way).

Thanks in advance :)

if you read the "ucan" manual it states that in addition to peer-reviewed publications poetry and prose publications are also acceptable. i'm not sure if this makes a difference for you but it does for me as i have poetry published but not any research. i would presume not having research pubs as an undergrad is not going to significantly impact your application in a negative way. many undergrads (including myself) have participated in research without getting a publication out of it; i would say it's an exception rather than the norm to have a peer-reviewed pub as an undergrad. if you have done research make sure to talk about it in the other sections of your application. adcoms will still be interested in what you did and learned despite not having a pub. if your application is strong otherwise not having anything published is not going to make you or break you IMO. (but then again i'm just another premed) :)

Oh yes, sorry I should have specified that as well, I also do not have any poetry or prose publications.

I do have research experience, but that was a lab volunteer job. Still counts for something though! :D

Thanks for your advice! Just the idea of leaving that whole section blank makes me feel sort of...panicky I guess? But it's good to hear my situation is the rule and not the exception.

By the way congrats on getting poetry published! That's amazing!

EDIT: by the way what does adcom mean? I've seen it around this forum a lot, I'm guessing it's short form for the people who review the med apps? Google didn't help :P

Hey everyone!

There's a whole section on the UC app for research pubs. I haven't a single research pub...this is the same with UBC and UofA I believe.

So essentially I'm just going to be leaving this entire section blank, aren't I? Is that going to affect my application very negatively? Or is it not uncommon to have this whole section blank? (I'm still in my undergraduate program, by the way).

Thanks in advance :)

I think you'll find that there is no right formula for getting admission into Canadian medical schools. Some students are avid researchers, while others don't have any at all. I think it's important to participate in activities that you enjoy rather than what you think looks good to the admission committee and others! And btw I don't think it makes a big deal, I had 3 publications when I had finished my undergrad but didn't get accepted anywhere!

Archived