Premed 101 Forums

applying with these stats?

Guest badkitty79

Guest badkitty79

cumulative average-3.64

pre-req average-3.5

MCAT 10, 11, 8, P

Has anyone got in with an average like this (in prov)? Please give me some hope!!

Guest smokeydx

Hey! bad... Kitty!

I got in off the waitlist with similar stats (in prov)

CGPA - 3.60

PGPA - 3.70

MCAT - 10, 13, 7 P

Cheers,

=.= I was very lucky.

Guest badkitty79

Thanks, Your stats are a bit better than mine but it does give me hope. Everyone on the accepted thread had really high stats!

Guest loud noises

Hey there badkitty,

It also depends on what pile your app would be placed in...my boyfriend has similar (if not worse, but don't tell him I said that;) ) stats for the GPA's (not the MCAT tho), and he got rejected this year...but, he still has a semester to go, so his app wouldn't be in the "degree" pile, which would increase your chances at least 3 fold. I'm sure he'll do better next year, as would you if you have got or will be getting your degree this year.

Of course I've never sat on any admissions committee, but talking to people I know got in...some had lousy (and by lousy, I'm talking in a relative sense to others who are med-hopefuls!- I don't mean to put down anyone's grades here!)grades, but stellar MCAT scoress, while others had the reverse. So if you don't get in on your stats after you have a degree (or even before!) you could try boosting that MCAT slightly.

Good luck!!!:D

Guest bioboy2007

Also, note that if you have an unbalanced academic record (i.e. poor grades in one year with good grades in the others) you may have less to worry about.

For the UofA, all applicants who have completed 4 years or more at the time of application have their lowest annual average dropped from overall GPA calculations.

Guest jgray2

hello kitty,

they've changed the weightings this year to place more importance on the overall gpa and the non-academic sections and less emphasis on the pre-req averages. so that could potentially let more people with lower gpas in as compared to the year earlier.

all i know was that my cum gpa = 3.54, pre req average = 3.51, and my mcat = 35 O. i was rejected without even an interview at u of a, but accepted (no waitlist) at u of c. why not try u of c?

Guest juicyprunes

Hi Badkitty79,

I think your overall GPA is not THAT bad :) . Both of your GPA calculations should be enough to obtain an interview. The way the admissions people obtain a final score for a candidate means that a very strong score in any one section (e.g. interview, MCAT, extra-curriculars) can really help. I do suggest that you rewrite the MCAT, if possible. Since it is worth ~20% (15 + 5, I think), an improvement in both the overall score and the WS can make a really big difference.

Good luck!!

• 4 months later...
cumulative average-3.64

pre-req average-3.5

MCAT 10, 11, 8, P

Has anyone got in with an average like this (in prov)? Please give me some hope!!

Good news I checked my application and my averages are both higher than I had thought. Around 3.7 cum and 3.6 prereq. Anyone else have this happen?

Good luck all!

Good news I checked my application and my averages are both higher than I had thought. Around 3.7 cum and 3.6 prereq. Anyone else have this happen?

Good luck all!

If you're a 4th year applicant, they remove your worst year.

Lucky you. My grades are still not up!

Archived