Premed 101 Forums

AAMC Raw to Scaled scores conversion sheet

Sigg

Does anybody have (or can link me to) the raw to scaled score conversion chart for the AAMC tests?

I've been looking all over the aamc website but can't seem to find them.

Thanks!

ALSO while I have you here - I have two minor logistical questions for test day:

1. So I know you can't bring your own pencils in (is that right?) What kind of pencils do they provide for you? Lol are they the yellow HB type?

2. I'm assuming you can't bring anything in to have by your computer - but can you bring a bottle of water? Also, during breaks how does it work - can you access anything you brought to the test center, like snacks?

Yeah normal pencils...No you can't bring the water inside the actual testing area BUT you can keep it in your locker and get it during breaks. Yes access ANYTHING during the breaks, so yes your study notes or snacks anything you want are accessible during the break. You can even walk outside and get fresh air during that time.

so yes your study notes or snacks anything you want are accessible during the break. You can even walk outside and get fresh air during that time.

Are you sure about this? I would check with your test centre. For sure you can have snacks, but I don't think you can go outside / review.

but that's not the same as something like "examinees are not allowed to study during the breaks"? unless you count a formula sheet as a messaging device (ie it transmits messages from the page to your eyes via vision...?) but it's clear that that sounds ridiculous, so i feel like the quote can't apply to that.

Thanks guys.

But does anybody have those AAMC score conversions??

i'm pretty sure anyone who gets access to the aamc tests should have access to the conversion charts. this is based on the fact that i know one or two prep companies give the charts alongside the tests. i realize the preceding sentence makes it clear that i'm inferring, and thus don't actually know, how the charts are released. but my point is: do any of your friends/peers fall under that category? are any of them taking courses or have any of them bought the tests? maybe they could help you out? it sounds, however, like you have all ready bought the tests, and didn't receive the conversion charts for some strange reason. sorry that i can't help you much more than that. google might be your friend. i don't think i ever saved a screen shot of them on my comp, sorry.

edit: found this over on sdn, as you can tell. as per norm, google had my back. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9466762&postcount=4 . i trust you can find the full thread if anything else interests you... but i figure that's all you were searching for! i believe the "full length" refers to the form of the test when the mcat was longer, and then obviously "practice test" refers to the "shortened" version, which is 52/40/52 like more recent test-takers are used to seeing. i'm not sure, but i'm guessing they just took a representative sample of the original test, and picked the appropriate number of questions? i guess it doesn't matter. the scores are there. screen shots can be taken if you don't have adobe for some reason, lolsy.

Hey thanks markov.

Yeah I did take a prep course which gave me access to the AAMC tests and tells me what scaled score I have, but I wanted to know how far off from the next point I was (ie if I got 1 more question right, would it have moved from a 9 to a 10?). I couldn't find anything that would tell me which raw scores equaled which scaled scores, other than the raw score I received.

I also just wanted to get a general feel for what the trend is like to get 10s or 11s from year to year.

i'm pretty sure anyone who gets access to the aamc tests should have access to the conversion charts. this is based on the fact that i know one or two prep companies give the charts alongside the tests. i realize the preceding sentence makes it clear that i'm inferring, and thus don't actually know, how the charts are released. but my point is: do any of your friends/peers fall under that category? are any of them taking courses or have any of them bought the tests? maybe they could help you out? it sounds, however, like you have all ready bought the tests, and didn't receive the conversion charts for some strange reason. sorry that i can't help you much more than that. google might be your friend. i don't think i ever saved a screen shot of them on my comp, sorry.

edit: found this over on sdn, as you can tell. as per norm, google had my back. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=9466762&postcount=4 . i trust you can find the full thread if anything else interests you... but i figure that's all you were searching for! i believe the "full length" refers to the form of the test when the mcat was longer, and then obviously "practice test" refers to the "shortened" version, which is 52/40/52 like more recent test-takers are used to seeing. i'm not sure, but i'm guessing they just took a representative sample of the original test, and picked the appropriate number of questions? i guess it doesn't matter. the scores are there. screen shots can be taken if you don't have adobe for some reason, lolsy.

Hey thanks markov.

Yeah I did take a prep course which gave me access to the AAMC tests and tells me what scaled score I have, but I wanted to know how far off from the next point I was (ie if I got 1 more question right, would it have moved from a 9 to a 10?). I couldn't find anything that would tell me which raw scores equaled which scaled scores, other than the raw score I received.

I also just wanted to get a general feel for what the trend is like to get 10s or 11s from year to year.

what I did was basically used aamc 3's conversion.

you wanna aim for no more than 10 wrong on ps and bs, and no more than 7 wrong on vs

pretty sure the real thing has a slightly more lenient raw->scale since nerves affect a large number of test-takers. even the aamc test conversions vary a little bit.

Aren't the aamc practice tests based off of real ones that've been administered though? (I was under that impression)

Archived