Premed 101 Forums

5th Year - Can I take 2nd Year Courses?

So as I am looking through these guidelines for my 5th year, I believe it says I can take 2nd year courses as long as they have a pre-req (for example, I could take immunology 2500b but not astronomy?)

I'm just wondering if this is correct for any of those who did a special fifth year, as I am struggling to find 3rd and 4th year courses to fit a schedule (especially when everything else is filled and priorities for me still haven't lifted)?

So as I am looking through these guidelines for my 5th year, I believe it says I can take 2nd year courses as long as they have a pre-req (for example, I could take immunology 2500b but not astronomy?)

I'm just wondering if this is correct for any of those who did a special fifth year, as I am struggling to find 3rd and 4th year courses to fit a schedule (especially when everything else is filled and priorities for me still haven't lifted)?

minor wrinkle - have you actually graduated yet? Technically there is no such thing as a "5th year" - there is a special year which is the first year you take post graduation. I really hate the term 5th year as a result because it is confusing as a result (Western never uses that term).

minor wrinkle - have you actually graduated yet? Technically there is no such thing as a "5th year" - there is a special year which is the first year you take post graduation. I really hate the term 5th year as a result because it is confusing as a result (Western never uses that term).

sorry special year, post graduation. :) Trying to get rid of the 3/5 rule plaguing my 3rd year.

Is it okay to take these courses? Also... I found this:

"Applicants, who have earned a degree from a recognized university, may elect to continue in full-time undergraduate studies (a so-called special year) so that their academic standing may be improved for application to medical school. Only the first special year taken by the applicant will be considered for determination of GPA. (Applicants must already have one undergraduate year that meets the GPA cutoff.) A special year will only be considered if it contains five full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) taken between September and April. First year courses, repeat/antirequisite courses, and second-year courses that do not require a first-year prerequisite are not acceptable in the special year. (Revised and approved by the Medicine Admissions Committee, May 2008)"

So I think that means I am safe to take some second year courses as long as they have a pre-req!

That's correct, I just finished my special 5th year of undergrad at Western.

Even if you are not sure about 2nd year courses that have prerequisites, do not hesitate to just e-mail Western Medicine's admissions office asking if a certain course would be suitable.

For example, I wanted to take 2nd year Physiology during my 5th year, but there was no strict prerequisite. So I simply emailed Western Medicine's admissions office and told them that 1st year Biology was RECOMMENDED for 2nd year Phys. They said that's okay for me to take, and the rest is history. :D

• 3 weeks later...
What about if the course has pre-reqs, but you haven't taken them and are allowed in the course? is that acceptable?

lol. Why do you want to make things complicated for yourself? Just take one that you already have the prereq for. Call admission for that question though.

Archived