Premed 101 Forums

Urgent: Applying to Johns Hopkins and Other top tier med schools from UofT

Hi all, I have my course enrolement time tommorrow and the JH office of admission is not answering my questions because they think I am over complicating things. I am studying neuroscience and physiology/biochem double major (I haven't picked the second major yet, but their required courses are more or less the same except 4th year)

I have 3 major problems.

1) I have an IB transfer credit for MAT135H/136H (calc I A&B), which apparently doesn't count. But because I have the specific credits, I can't take them again. I am taking STA220 next year, but I don't know how to meet the Calculus portion of the math requirement without taking the brutally difficult calculus intended for math majors.

2) The dreaded chem problem. I looked around, and it seems like everyone from UofT has this problem. The 1 year of General Chemistry with lab component. I read that some schools accept CHM220H + CHM247H combination as an alternative, does JH?

3) Writing intensive courses, how do they check that? I took a seminar course "The experience of Music" where the evaluations were done primarily by written assignments, and my professor felt that it was a writing intensive course. But how does the office of admission determine what counts? Since the seminar on the transcript might not have explicit enough description of what we did as evaluations.

As an extra question, do we have a premed advisor on campus that I can go to for help?

Your questions are very specific and you are probably better off just calling them and explaining things clearly... like tell them that U of T condenses General Chemistry into the equivalent of 4 credits not 8, etc. And schools tend to be pretty flexible on writing intensive courses and unless they say EXPLICITLY 'English literature' or anything 'English', you are probably fine. Just tell them its a humanities course about music thats all essay/writing evals.

Thanks everyone for quick replies,

@Lactic Folly: Yeah I realized that at this point... I didn't think they would remember me specifically...

@Blizzah: I have asked them about CHM217H and they said it doesn't seem advanced enough. Or do you mean on top of CHM220&247?

@omz222:I tried to ask them over email over the past month, but it seems hard to pinpoint what course combination will work because for example CHM238 doesn't fit in my schedule.

Archived