Premed 101 Forums

Do posters count as publication?

There are a couple of ways.

You can google your name and key word or two from the title of the abstract/poster.

The confernce was likely linked to a journal or professional body that you could look up online. They usuallly will have a list of conferences they organize . From my experience, there will be a document there where you find the abstracts.

OR, ask your supervisor (they'd probably be a good choice for verifier anyway so you would have to run by them).

Hope that helps. Good luck with the writing.

• 1 year later...

Just as an FYI...in most fields, posters are NOT considered to be a publication. Even if the conference abstracts are published, sometimes in a special issue of a journal (again, this may be field dependent). Posters and abstracts generally do not go through a peer-review process and so would not be considered publications the same way that a journal article would.

Just as an FYI...in most fields, posters are NOT considered to be a publication. Even if the conference abstracts are published, sometimes in a special issue of a journal (again, this may be field dependent). Posters and abstracts generally do not go through a peer-review process and so would not be considered publications the same way that a journal article would.

I wouldn't consider posters as publications. But, if you're not going to mention your poster anywhere else in the application, then why not I suppose.

If it is a poster at an international conference, where your abstract is peer reviewed and subsequently published in the supplements of a prestigious journal, then I would consider it a publication.

If not, then just mention it when describing your research experience.

They some value as research regardless though - even CARMS has a section for them.

So what you're recommending is to put them under the publications section anyways? According to the U of C blog, they are specifically not publications unless published as proceedings in the society's journal.

Archived