Premed 101 Forums

Would you list this as an EC? TV experience

Ok, so I was on a reality TV show - a home improvement one, where the people on the show help you renovate your house. I was on one episode. Being on the show required a LOT of involvement - auditioning, filming, working with the design people etc, we probably spent around 100 hours (yes, 100 hours for a 1 hour show, its nuts) on it.

So I'm wondering, would anyone consider this to be an EC? I mean, its not like anyone other than my family and I benefited, but I did have to get creative in managing my workload (I was working full time during filming), childcare (and even figuring out how to get my son involved) etc...however I'm not sure how I'd be able to "sell" it as an EC.

The reason I'm even considering adding this is because, well, people are interested in things like this and its definitely unique (as in, "what do you guys think of the girl who was on that reality show" as opposed to "that nth girl who did research and volunteered at the hospital). People LOVE to talk about it, I've even been recognized by strangers on the street, asking me about my house and stuff.

But like I said, if I DO add it, I wonder how I can "sell" it to be meaningful on the application...

What do you think?

I would include it. That's definitely something that will set you apart in a stack of applications that could be very similar in nature.

I would spin it as showing how deeply you get involved in activities that are meaningful to you, show your ability to speak publicly, work as part of a team, function well in a high-stress environment. Those kinds of things, but go with what you think feels right :)

Good luck!

Kasiunut you should definitely include your reality TV stint. It'll set you apart from most other applicants in a positive way. If you do include it, they're likely going to ask you about during your interview too. I had an experience that few others had and I was asked about it every single interview.

Didn't want to make another thread so I thought I'd ask here so... would ability to write, read and speak four languages be considered something unique, or should one leave that out?

I'm not on an adcom, obviously, but I think that is an awesome one to include.

Didn't want to make another thread so I thought I'd ask here so... would ability to write, read and speak four languages be considered something unique, or should one leave that out?

I would say so.

Also: the rule of thumb is a good one, but probably more relevant at schools that use a traditional/panel interview :D

I too have 4 languages and this opens the door to communicating with a wider patient population in their mother tongue. I also took extra lessons for years and put this under formal education. I have attended to trauma patients during auto accidents and was the only persson on scene to communicate with the injured and I translated for the police.

I'm not on an adcom, obviously, but I think that is an awesome one to include.

I would say so.

Also: the rule of thumb is a good one, but probably more relevant at schools that use a traditional/panel interview :D

Alrighty. Thank you both. :D

I too have 4 languages and this opens the door to communicating with a wider patient population in their mother tongue. I also took extra lessons for years and put this under formal education. I have attended to trauma patients during auto accidents and was the only persson on scene to communicate with the injured and I translated for the police.

Totally agree with that first statement. Better communication leads to better health care experience for both the doctor and the patient.

Archived