Premed 101 Forums

Is med school a worthwhile investment for women?

Kasiunut

Came across this interesting article regarding whether its worth it (financially) for many women to become doctors:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/is-medical-school-a-worthwhile-investment-for-women/260051/

Essentially, they say that female physicians would be better off financially if they had chosen to be PAs instead of MDs because of the cost of med school vs PA school and subsequent earnings over a life time.

The results were not the same for men (i.e. financially male doctors are better off than male PAs) because of the gender wage gap AND because male doctors typically work more hours than female doctors.

As a female premed, would this change your mind? Say, if you wanted to be a primary care physician and have time for family (so working approx 40 hours/week) would this sway you to opt for PA vs MD?

For me, no, it wouldn't, as its not about the money. There are so many other factors that go with being a physician over a PA that just outweighs the possibility of PA for me.

It's also not about the money for me. That's on the list of why I find medicine an appealing career, but it isn't at the top of the list by any means.

My eventual goal is to be a rural family physician. My husband wants to work on the family farm. These goals are uniquely aligned as my family's farm is in an underserved rural area that has difficulty retaining physicians.

Given that my children will be either in or entering their teens by the time I am a practicing doctor, my family time demands will be significantly different than they would be for the average physician at the start of their careers. Most would be just starting their families, which has a far greater demand on their time, and would significantly impact the early earning potential of a female physician. Our kids will be rapidly approaching their own independence (assuming independence is possible for our son. Too soon to say) and our goal has always been for my husband to be the primary caregiver. The fact that I am a SAHM right now is a fluke, hah.

I think, for me, it is definitely a worthwhile investment, but I think everyone (male and female alike) should consider their life goals and how those may modify their desired career options.

It's not about the money. Med school in Quebec is not expensive anyhow. I have not read the article but it makes no sense to me. I think being a PA is a great profession, never heard of it before joining this forum and had I not been accepted to med school, I would likely try hard to enter the program leading to this profession (provided it is recognized in my province).

It's not about the money. Med school in Quebec is not expensive anyhow. I have not read the article but it makes no sense to me. I think being a PA is a great profession, never heard of it before joining this forum and had I not been accepted to med school, I would likely try hard to enter the program leading to this profession (provided it is recognized in my province).

Yes, this article was written with an American audience in mind. Also I think its a stupid study, most women who become doctors don't have $ as their primary concern...

No. I want to be a doctor, end of story. Well I guess not quite. PA's can't do surgery. They don't have the training or qualifications to do the things I want to do in my career. Also, I want to work like a man not like a womanso the money thing doesn't concern me much.

That may be true for some female doctors (i.e. have a kid and work less hours because they can), but not all of us. Graduates of my program can go on to make half a million dollars soon after graduation by being a clinician scientist and having their own business while still holding clinic hours... [depending on what your PhD is in....of course as an MD/PhD you can go the academic route as well and depending how that goes you can make more money as an academic i.e. being the Dean of a medical school, or less as new faculty like an associate prof makes beans... but if you have a PhD geared towards creation and business i.e. engineering, you can open a business]

I plan to dominate in the salary department.

...but I think everyone (male and female alike) should consider their life goals and how those may modify their desired career options.
I agree. It's really interesting to hear some people say that the only thing they want for their future is to be a doctor. While it may be true for some, others may want a family, another aspect of their life/job, etc. Important things to think about when choosing a career.

Came across this interesting article regarding whether its worth it (financially) for many women to become doctors:

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/is-medical-school-a-worthwhile-investment-for-women/260051/

Essentially, they say that female physicians would be better off financially if they had chosen to be PAs instead of MDs because of the cost of med school vs PA school and subsequent earnings over a life time.

The results were not the same for men (i.e. financially male doctors are better off than male PAs) because of the gender wage gap AND because male doctors typically work more hours than female doctors.

As a female premed, would this change your mind? Say, if you wanted to be a primary care physician and have time for family (so working approx 40 hours/week) would this sway you to opt for PA vs MD?

For me, no, it wouldn't, as its not about the money. There are so many other factors that go with being a physician over a PA that just outweighs the possibility of PA for me.

Of course since the study is based on US data (and has some interesting assumptions as well) it doesn't translate well to canada.

the math is similar to non traditional applicants - it all hinges on there not being enough time to over come the large start up costs. If you are a fall doctor for only 25 years instead of say 35 years that has a big impact.

basic assumption of Economics badly applied though - we economists (can I say that? I have a degree in Economics. Still sounds wrong :) ) use income as a proxy for happiness - actually that is the core assumption in Economics. We cannot measure happiness so simply say people with more money are happier (there is some evidence this to a point is true, trouble is it is not a linear relationship and is wrong is so many other ways). We then base all the math on that. Trouble is that all of that is basically flawed. I took a degree in psychology as well to help myself overcome some of those limitations by adding behavioural models to the mix that can explain things better in my mind just to stay sane - we are just beginning to factor all of that into the field (economics is very, very young).

Anyway this is why you have ignore silly studies like this - economics is ultimately a study of what to do to make you have the most happiness in your life but if you hate the job of a PA and love one of being a doctor then all the math isn't really helping you here :)

Of course since the study is based on US data (and has some interesting assumptions as well) it doesn't translate well to canada.

the math is similar to non traditional applicants - it all hinges on there not being enough time to over come the large start up costs. If you are a fall doctor for only 25 years instead of say 35 years that has a big impact.

basic assumption of Economics badly applied though - we economists (can I say that? I have a degree in Economics. Still sounds wrong :) ) use income as a proxy for happiness - actually that is the core assumption in Economics. We cannot measure happiness so simply say people with more money are happier (there is some evidence this to a point is true, trouble is it is not a linear relationship and is wrong is so many other ways). We then base all the math on that. Trouble is that all of that is basically flawed. I took a degree in psychology as well to help myself overcome some of those limitations by adding behavioural models to the mix that can explain things better in my mind just to stay sane - we are just beginning to factor all of that into the field (economics is very, very young).

Anyway this is why you have ignore silly studies like this - economics is ultimately a study of what to do to make you have the most happiness in your life but if you hate the job of a PA and love one of being a doctor then all the math isn't really helping you here :)

marginal rate of diminishing returns :)

Archived