Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Regrets

5th year IP. (Pharmacy degree)

cGPA as per UA - 3.84, 34Q

Weakish EC - research awards, tutoring, diverse work experience, student organizations involvements, but few volunteer hours

Interview - 4 stations went awesome, and the other four were dreadful.

First time applying. Hopefully I can improve for next year's application (Got straight A+ for 31 credits this year so it should boost my gpa a bit). Meanwhile, I'll be practicing pharmacy. Congratz to those who got in!

Wow... I'm speechless. I don't know how I got in. I have the lowest credentials of any 3rd year who applied, I'm pretty sure!!!

ACCEPTED

3rd Year IP

GPA: 3.73 <-- way below average for a 3rd year

MCAT: 33Q <-- a bit below average for a 3rd year

ECs: Hospital volunteering, hospice volunteer, Vice President of a University Club, 5 years of summer research, singer/songwriter with 13,000 subscribers and millions of views on YouTube and TV show appearance <-- I think the last one might've set me apart from other applicants?

I'm still shocked. Wow. I would never have thought I would get in, cause I was rejected from University of Calgary.

Accepted!

4th yr IP

31O

EC: some standard, some random, some AWESOME (stuff I really like - skateboarding, snowboarding, music, etc)

Interview: Thought it went awesome, except maybe 1 or two stations.

So glad to finally be here. It's my third time applying. First time - Rejected after interview, Second time - Waitlisted, Third time (having completed my degree) - ACCEPTED!!! :)

Accepted!

3rd year IP

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: PS:14 VR:12 BS:15 = 41Q

EC's: Not sure how to evaluate this- no research, just a little hospital volunteering, but volunteered and did activities in many other areas that I enjoy

Interview: Felt pretty good about it- flubbed at least one station, but felt great about others

I only applied at U of A- glad my bet paid off!

Accepted!! (Will probably decline)

4th Year OOP

GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 40O

ECs: Music (ARCT in piano, choir)/theatre, pretty standard volunteering/leadership stuff, research (no pubs)

Interview: Hard to tell. I felt good coming out of it, but started to doubt my performance as time went on...

Accepted

IP

GPA: 3.84

MCAT: 31R

ECs: average

Interview: I prepared a lot for it, and I think it went well

Looking forward to seeing you all next year! For any people applying in the future, I'll be happy to help you with your applications! This forum has been a G-dsend!

Rejected OOP

GPA: 3.9?

MCAT: 13PS/10VR/14BS/Q

EC: Pretty standard, MSc, 3 pubs...

Interview: 3 amazing stations, 2 that I totally blew, the rest ok/good. Figured the bad ones would rule me out as an OOP applicant. Thought their presentation about their program was very good... best of luck to everyone.

Waitlisted (Rural IP)

GPA: 3.4x

MCAT: 32R

ECs: lots of REALLY long term (more than 10 years at most of them), some research, an abstract, etc

Interview: felt extremely confident about it. Felt I was able to convey my points/opinions well :)

Hopefully the waitlist moves enough this time for me! :D

Accepted

GPA 4.0

MCAT 32 (12/9/11) R

Lots of diverse and long term extracurrics (national/international athlete, long term coaching/mentoring, long term hospital volunteering, 2 years of research, 5 yrs of tutoring, personal trainer, lifeguard)

Thought the interview went awesome, only one station where i felt like i was blabbering on about nothing. Made 2 of the interviewers laugh, and felt at home during the entire day. U of A is an awesome school, and they really go out of their way to make the applicants feel welcome.

Got into my first choice (UofT) as well yesterday, so I will be declining my offer to the U of A. It was a tough decision, but I'm going back home! Good luck to everyone in the class of 2016! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Regrets

4th Year IP (1 year of M.Sc. down with another to go now)

cGPA: 3.87 undergrad, 4.0 grad

MCAT: 31S (12 B / 10 P / 9 V)

EC: longterm volunteering and work in healthcare, tutoring, research presentations & awards, a little weak on leadership

Interview: went well for the most part. scored highly on comparison mailed out

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I can post my stats, although they aren't really relevant for this year's pool, but since I'm in the class anyways!

4yr IP

GPA 3.94

MCAT: 35R

ECs: A wide variety of them, with long term and leadership positions

Interview: Went really well

This was my acceptance from last year for the class of 2015. I started school with them, but due to failing health, I had to take a medical leave of absence to get treatment. I'm returning from my leave to start year I over again with the class of 2016. Can't wait to meet you all!

Pretty neat actually I convocated today. Got to start it off with a phone call telling me I got an offer of admission.

Anyways stats which I believe I posted earlier...

GPA:3.82

MCAT: 12/11/12

ECs: Well UBC ranked them slightly below average but UofC thought they were unbelievably good (like 99th percentile good in some cases) so who knows.

Interview: I thought this was the worst of the three but apparently was the best.

Am definitely accepting and I am looking forward to it.

• 11 months later...

Offers are out!

Accepted!

Two year GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 14/12/14/S (40S, UofA score 13.33S)

ECs: lots of long term activities in leadership, research, and volunteering that I enjoyed and was able to excel in (full details posted previously)

Interview: I thought the UofA interview was very well structured and I think it was one of my best. I got along well with the interviewers and just felt great in general. This was my UofA experience, but I also felt horrible about Queen's and was accepted there, so don't go off of your feeling!

UofA is a great school, but I will be declining my offer to accept McGill. Good luck waitlisters!

Accepted, IP!

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 32S (12/10/10/S)

ECs: Pretty good, lots of variety and awards.

Interview: Went well.

Just finished my undergrad at the U of A and will likely be declining the offer. I will really miss this school though - congrats to everyone who got in! The U of A is a great place!