Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Regrets

IP

GPA: 3.66

PA: 12/17

MCAT: 127.50

Interview: Fail

Honestly, I did not even expect an interview invitation with my lower GPA and reasonable but not fantastic MCAT. The weird thing is that I felt like I just nailed the interview. Also, as others have experienced, I felt better at Uofa than UofC. Who knows, maybe my read of interview performance is totally out to lunch and I actually did well at Calgary. We'll see next week.

Sincerest congrats to those with an offer, what a thrill that must be to keep moving forward.

Result: Waitlist

Pool: 3rd year undergrad, IP

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 510

ECs: sports, lots of community work, hospital volunteering, etc.

Interview: Felt pretty mixed about it afterwards (I think I did average on most stations, and not so well on 1-2)

Happy to have gotten this far, and congrats to everyone who got in!! Crossing my fingers for the end of May now...

Waitlist

IP

GPA: 3.96

MCAT: 520

ECs: a little unique but not fantastic I think: some LT volunteering, a lot of team-based service industry work, some travel, clinical research experience, some personal bits

Interview: I think it went okay, but could have gone a lot better. Although I also think as an interviewee I'm a poor judge of my own MMI, other than stations that went either horrible or fantastic.

Accepted!!

OOP

4th year UG

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 522

ECs: Very average but very research heavy (no publications). PM me if you want to know more :)

Interview: Felt very unsure about it, some stations went great others not so much..

Congratulations to all those accepted! I hope waitlisters get some good news soon! And to those who got regrets, don't give up! Keep trying, dreams do come true! :)

Result: Accepted!

IP
GPA: 3.95
Year: graduated UG
MCAT: 516
EC: Lots of community volunteering, research, and other things like sports and travel
Casper: Thought it was horrible
MMI: Felt really good. Very nice people and atmosphere

So excited and still in disbelief. I was rejected from a couple schools post-interview last year and was really discouraged. This time around, I practiced for interviews a lot and I think this is what made the difference for me.

If you received regrets, don’t give up if it’s something you truly want. Hard work eventually pays off and dreams come true! Focus on the weak areas of your application and keep working on improving yourself. This can only make you a better person and more appreciative doctor. 

“Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.”

Good luck and congrats to all accepted!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an Ontario resident, graduated from Biomedical science at UofG in 2015. My GPA was 3.8 and my MCAT scores were:

P/C: 128

CAARS: 130

B/B: 130

P/S: 132

I was accepted by Alberta, Saskatchewan, Western and McMaster. This is my first time applying to med-school. As much as I enjoyed the interviews at UofA, I will be staying home and accepting at McMaster.

Well done to all those who applied! It was a grind.

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted off the waitlist~ (11:15 AM mountain time) - waited so long to post this here :)

IP graduated

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 512 

ECs: nothing exceptional but just long-term commitment in various fields (scientific and clinical research, diverse volunteering on and off-campus, lots of mentoring and TA experience, PM me for details)

Interview: a mix of good, bad, and mediocre stations 

This is my 4th application cycle and 3rd time interviewing at the U of A. To those who did not hear good news this year, all I can say is keep going  and persevere. I know, this is not the greatest advice and I know how soul-crushing it is to face rejections but if medicine is what you really want and you work for it, I believe dreams do come true at the end.

Best of luck to my fellow waitlisters - the list is moving! 

Hi everyone, 

I have been reading these forums for a long time and happy to share that I was accepted off the waitlist a couple days ago! 

IP, graduated from MSc in 2013

GPA: 3.8

MCAT: 509

EC: research jobs, community volunteering, sports, travel - all long-term

Interview: Felt great walking out but started second guessing my answers as time went on. This was my 4th interview and second at UofA so I knew the drill but you never know with the mmi. 

I have been interviewing for the past three years both at UofA and UofC but couldn't seem to break through so I empathize with those of you that keep getting interviews but are not getting the result you want. The difference for me (other than just getting lucky) was finding something outside of applying to medicine that I actually enjoyed and could see myself doing as a career. I really think the interview is an exercise in seeing how confident you are and how well you can communicate and so putting yourself in similar situations whether that is through school, work or ECs will carry over to the interview. Happy to talk to anyone who may be feeling down about this process. I was in a similar position a little over a year ago when I had gotten rejected from two schools, wasn't enjoying my job and was seriously entertaining the international route. 

Also, to those still on the waitlist - the wait is agonizing but I hope there is good news for all of you. I have heard that it moves well into July so good luck :)           

• 1 month later...

Accepted :)

GPA: ~3.75
Year: 4th Year IP (Graduated)
MCAT: 514 
EC: Variety of jobs, lots of mentoring/tutoring, minimal research, no traveling
MMI: Some stations felt really good (I shocked myself with the answers that were coming out of my mouth) and others were okay (meh). 

This was my 4th time applying to U of A and my first and only interview. My application hasn't changed very much over the years except for a slight increase in GPA and more hours for work/volunteering so I'll reiterate the luck aspect of the application.

• 8 months later...

Accepted (IP)

Year: Graduated May 2017

cGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 514 (128, 127, 131, 128)

EC: Long term commitment to one organization. Pretty research heavy with a mentorship/leadership component. Talked about a few unique cultural experiences I've had. 

MMI: Stations were very different from last year when I interviewed and honestly I didn't think that it went too well. Glad to see I was mistaken. The panel was very enjoyable and by far the strongest aspect of my interview. 

This is my second time applying to the U of A. Being on the waitlist last year was painful so I'm happy to not have to go through that again. To those on the waitlist, please take care of yourselves and find something fulfilling to do because the uncertainty can really take a toll. It certainly did on me.

I am posting my stats for future students to know that it is possible to get in with a low GPA.

cGPA~3.6

MCAT: 127 CARS (517 Total)

EC: above average ( scored 95- 99th percentile at U of  C in the previous years).

MMI: Aced my MMIs. Several interviewers told me that I had amazing/awesome answers.

CASPer: did well on it

I MAY decline my offer!! Best of Luck everyone!!! 

Rejected (OOP)

cGPA: 3.88

MCAT: 131 CARS (513 Total, 128.25 avg)

EC: 9.00/17

MMI: Pass. I was pretty tired, because I'd interviewed at Mac the day before, so I felt a bit rambly, but otherwise it felt alright.

Congratulations to everyone who received an offer! I am now crossing all my fingers for the other schools I interviewed at to come through for me lol

Result: Accepted!!!!!!!!  

Year: BSc 2017

MCAT: 517 (131, 125, 131, 130)

GPA: 3.96 (?)

EC: Coaching (~900 hours mixed volunteer/paid, long term, before high school till after graduation), Research (two summers NSERC USRA plus one semester), Various Volunteering (Homeless shelter, school clubs etc. ~300 hours total), Clinic Volunteer (~500 hours over 3 years), Part Time Work during School Year, Athletics (huge part of life), received a 4 out of 17 last year but really tried to write my activities like UofC's Top 10 (what I learned, impact, link to CANMEDS)

MMI: I felt that UofA's MMI was a lot more straightforward and clear than UofC's. That being said, I messed up one station really badly but felt great/good about the other 5. I felt a lot better about UofC's panel but UofA's panel overall did not feel terrible. Keep in mind that my perception of the interview may not be accurate since I got 7 percentile at my only interview last year (UofC, granted I was not very prepared both practice and knowledge wise) and was rejected from both McGill/UofC this year. 

Honestly I am so overwhelmed and happy, after I got my result from UofC, I lost hope and did not know what I was going to do, but somehow I conned UofA into taking me... I'm so happy but also sad that I will have to leave my home (Calgary) but I'm excited for the next stage in my life! 

For those that didn't get the result they want, I know it might not mean much but please stay strong and persevere, I know I am extremely lucky to have received this and I hope that you will be able to feel this in the future.