Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

On 5/13/2019 at 12:13 PM, GHouse said:

I'll start for this year

Result: Rejected

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.79

MCAT: 513, 128 in Cars

Degree: HBSc conferred in 2017

E.C: 10/17, though 12/17 was highest for the cycle so happy about that! A few research projects (no pubs), academic awards and lots of extra curricular activities in undergrad. Post grad, worked at some of the largest start ups in North America and now run my own company. Definitely gained a lot by doing some work post grad, initially was to complete my MPH but will now be doing my MBA.

Interview: Felt pretty good about the majority of the stations. The panel did catch me a tad off guard given the format. Had lost my voice for the entire weekend so happy I pushed through and will relegate my performance to that (rationalization at its finest)

Thanks for all the support on this platform, will be accepting an offer for a medical school in States, so probably no more posts on here for a while, atleast until residency time!

Hey, congratulations on your acceptance in the States. Not sure if you will check this again in time but what university did you apply to? I have been really discouraged to apply to the States coz people keep saying that it is next to impossible if you're not from the States

On 5/15/2019 at 8:50 AM, aquababe123 said:

Result: Accepted

Geography: IP

GPA: Less than 3.5 (undergrad) ....I know right! 

MCAT: 506

Degree: BSc and MSc

E.C: Volunteer with youth, sports and coach and lifeguarding. Last year, I also got an interview.

Interview: This was my second interview at U of A, after being on the waitlist for U of C in 2017 (no subsequent interviews there)! Last year, I was likely low on the list as I was offered an interview after the original offers came out, so I was already lacking confidence going into it. This year, I just went in and was myself. I approached it with the attitude that if they don't like me, I m not going to fit in here. During the interview, it felt really good and afterward I remember second guessing everything I said.

Seriously, this process is so subjective and long! Keep your chin up and surround yourself with encouraging friends. Good luck everyone and I can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Congratulations!!! I am also IP and have a pretty similar GPA and MCAT score but I just finished my undergrad (will be starting Masters in September). Any tips on how to write the E.C. component? I have some very strong and some weak ones.. Some of my stronger ones are a bit old unfortunately :/ I applied this year and got a 6/17. I am re-writing the MCAT so hopefully that can boost my overall score but my E.C. will also need to be much higher 

7 hours ago, nevergiveup1 said:

Result: Accepted off the waitlist yesterday morning!

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.43 (...I know, still reeling from even being considered)

MCAT: 509

Degree: BSc and MPH 

EC: If you want more specific information on this, feel free to contact me but I think this is the part of my application that’s my saving grace considering low GPA and MCAT. I have extensive (~8 years) community outreach volunteering and work experience, particularly with marginalized populations. I have been working for the public service (legislation) for about 2 years now since finishing grad school.

Interview: This is my second year interviewing at the U of A (my 4th time applying). I was waitlisted last year, with no luck. So super stoked to have gotten off the waitlist this year and am really looking forward to meeting others in the Fall!! 

For those still on the waitlist, or reapplying, don’t give up!!!! It WILL happen for you, keep persevering and have faith!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! And thanks for your motivating words :)

am also IP and have a slightly higher GPA and lower MCAT score. I just finished my undergrad (will be starting MPH in September). Any tips on how to write the E.C. component? I have some very strong and some weak ones.. Some of my stronger ones are a bit old unfortunately :/ I applied this year and got a 6/17. I am re-writing the MCAT so hopefully that can boost my overall score but my E.C. will also need to be much higher. 

Result: Accepted off the waitlist today 

GPA: 3.5

MCAT: 524

Degree: BSc x 2

EC: Was not planning on going into medicine when I did my first undergrad, so severely lacking until more recently. I was always interested in learning new things: I learned the piano and a couple of sports on my own, learned computer programming on my own. Cookie cutter ECs: project manager for a club, VP and president of a club, research assistant for 1 year + 1 summer. Was a private tutor, volunteer coach, etc. Clinical employment for 3 years.

Truly, I think the best way to approach ECs is to do something you are passionate about regardless of whether it pertains to medicine. Of course, I think having medically related experiences help you to flesh out your reasons and determination for medicine.

Interview: Thought I killed the panel because I have a very specific reason for medicine with a strong personal experience. MMIs were hit and miss but I am in general pretty good at interacting with people. Probably bombed 1 to 3 stations

Don't give up guys! This is a project and I was ready to reapply again but make sure you do something else as well. I think you should have a backup career in mind and to work towards it. Not only does this give you a fall back but through the process, you gain skills and experiences for your application.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, nevergiveup1 said:

Result: Accepted off the waitlist yesterday morning!

GPA: 3.43 (...I know, still reeling from even being considered)

MCAT: 509

Degree: BSc and MPH 

EC: If you want more specific information on this, feel free to contact me but I think this is the part of my application that’s my saving grace considering low GPA and MCAT. I have extensive (~8 years) community outreach volunteering and work experience, particularly with marginalized populations. I have been working for the public service (legislation) for about 2 years now since finishing grad school.

Interview: This is my second year interviewing at the U of A (my 4th time applying). I was waitlisted last year, with no luck. So super stoked to have gotten off the waitlist this year and am really looking forward to meeting others in the Fall!! 

For those still on the waitlist, or reapplying, don’t give up!!!! It WILL happen for you, keep persevering and have faith!

I just wanted to say as a fellow MPH graduate congratulations!

- G

• 10 months later...

Result: Waitlisted (will decline)

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 521 (130/129/131/131)

Degree: Cellular, Molecular, and Microbial Biology Hons. (UofC)

EC: Two summers of research (one paid, one student research bursary), STEM outreach program for elementary school children (volunteering+exec position), another student club exec position, Japanese speech contest... 

Interview: Felt less nervous than for an MMI since I was sitting at home. I don't think I stepped on any red flags but I was caught off guard by the question about the stuff I wrote in my application... It had been so long I had almost forgotten what I wrote haha.

Congratulations to everyone who was accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist!!  

Result: ACCEPTED (timestamp: 7:09pm est)

Geography: OOP (Ontario)

GPA: 3.95

MCAT: 509 (128 CARS)

Degree: B.A Geography/Anthro/Bio

EC: Im a mature student and had a long term career before embarking on this. I think that may have helped and offered a lot of life experiences. I had other diverse EC's but I never did anything that I wasn't passionate about. I guess I'm trying to say follow your passion rather than any "pre-med roadmap" and be yourself!

Interview: This was my first and only interview after 5 pre-interview rejections last year and 5 pre-interview rejections this year.  ALL YOU NEED IS ONE! This year was obvious a weird interview experience but I felt fine after I was done. I definitely didn't answer everything perfectly and ended up straying from the answer formula I had practiced for months. Overall had a pleasant experience with UofA and I cant wait to meet my classmates!

Who really knows what they are looking for in the end, but all I can say is never hesitate to be yourself!

Result: Accepted!! 

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 516 (wrote 3 times because my cars score was 124 the first two times)

Degree: MSc

EC: Interesting and long-term. Many of my volunteering and extracurricular activities had hundreds of hours because I had started them at the start of my undergraduate degree 4-6 years ago. I really focused on including activities that meant a lot to me personally even if the roles didn't sound impressive, also sprinkled in my interests and hobbies. 

Interview: I felt like I rambled incoherently for 30 minutes... Nevertheless I tried to show them my best self and show off my passion for medicine.

In total shock I never thought I'd ever make one of these posts. This is my third cycle, first application to the UofA and I really didn't think I would get in this year. I'm overjoyed!!

To those that didn't get the response they were hoping for I've been where you are and understand how you feel. I used that time after my second rejection to reflect over my cycle, start my masters, travel, and pursue other interests outside of medicine. Happy to help if anyone has any questions! I think it's important to reflect on your application, see where you could have improved, and talk to people outside of medicine. Give it your best shot, you've got this! 

Result: Invite

Geography: ‘Berta Boy

GPA: 3.61

MCAT: 519

Degree: BSc 

E.C: diverse activities including lots of volunteer work in my cultural community and other settings (e.g long term care centre, Youth group), plus a few jobs including one very unique job. 

Interview: Had mixed feelings about it, but I did practice extensively. 

Thoughts: This journey has been a marathon and a half, but I’m so relieved to be at the end. It takes a village to make a doctor, and I can easily name dozens of people whom I couldn’t have done this without. Now I’m looking ahead to the future and all the challenges and rewards it’ll bring. Good luck to everyone & I’ll be sure to keep frequenting this community for a long time :)

Result: Acceptance!!!!! cannot believe....honestly shaking and crying right now

GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 505 (YES REALLY)

Degree: B.A & Sc. Honours

E.C: employment (20+ hours per week during university), lab work (15+ hours a week for honours), volunteering for Canadian Blood Services (~5 hours per week), humanitarian trip to Africa, 3 month language exchange, founder of Spoon University at my home university, care for my brother and grandmother (both have mental illnesses), volunteering at university (10+ hours per week)...

Interview: visual didn't work so I honestly wasn't expecting an acceptance

Thoughts: I'm so completely overwhelmed and excited. I will be accepting unless I receive an offer from UBC. 

RIP Deadmonton (angry spouse of applicant making this post :D)

Result: Rejected

GPA: 3.87

MCAT: 127.5

Degree: Bsc, Master of Science (Molecular Medicine, Germany)

E.C: 7/17. Lots of Leadership roles throughout undergrad, travel, 1 publication (co author) in Switzerland. Lots of volunteering (first nations and immigrants, also in Guatemala)

Interview: Fail. Felt awkward and the mmi type question was not the best... 

Thoughts: my spouse and I are debating what to do next. It's the 4th try and we are considering St George U Grenada.

• 1 month later...

Having been explicitly told that medical school was "impossible" to get into for an immigrant like myself, I am posting the following as an encouragement to those in a similar predicament.

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: May 11th at 17:09 MT

cGPA: 3.68

MCAT: 515

Degree: B.Sc. x 2

EC: was 9/17 (max 12) last year, might have gone up to 10/17 this time thanks to an added leadership role +more volunteer hours; work in customer service, intense job in frontline harm reduction, research for two years, conference presentations, one second-author publication, international awards for undergraduate assignments, founded and ran a city-wide immigrant club, volunteer math tutor, taught ESL, hospital volunteering (700 hrs), music as a hobby, and travel

Interview: prepared extensively: read a few books on MMI and Doing Right, practiced multiple times a week once I got the invite, and even sought counseling to be able to speak about personal adversity & its relation to medicine without welling up about it (like I did last year); I thought the interview went well overall, found the panel attentive and welcoming, made them laugh three times

The key is to practice A LOT and to seek out someone who has been through the process and knows what they're talking about, it's an excellent idea to practice with other applicants but do not limit yourself to them, they may or may not be giving you helpful feedback.

PS: I felt euphoric when I received the offer, but I also felt drained by years of worry. Many have expressed a similar sentiment on these forums and I will repeat it: I found the entire process of (re)applying highly discouraging and dehumanizing.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:00 PM, PTturnsMD said:

this process has filled me with more self-doubt than anything else in my life

This was my third time applying and second time interviewing.
I have written the MCAT three times because CARS was so low at first (123 --> 128) *am ESL

A word of encouragement to all those who were not accepted this year: it goes without saying that there is an element of luck to this process, you are not defined by your stats, it is only a matter of time, the most important thing is to remain patient and persevere.

I know it is difficult, but I highly recommend you to treat rejection as an opportunity, use this year for something you won't be able to do once you're in med school/residency/full-time workforce. For me personally that meant 8 weeks of travel and starting on a novel that I have been putting off for ages. Also, having a concrete plan B in mind will help your confidence, and it is so easy to crash and burn without one.

• 2 months later...
On 5/11/2020 at 10:15 PM, ballercat said:

Result: Accepted!! 

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 516 (wrote 3 times because my cars score was 124 the first two times)

Degree: MSc

EC: Extensive, diverse, and long-term. Many of my volunteering and extracurricular activities had hundreds of hours because I had started them at the start of my undergraduate degree 4-6 years ago. I really focused on including activities that meant a lot to me personally even if the roles didn't sound impressive, also sprinkled in my interests and hobbies. 

Interview: I felt like I rambled incoherently for 30 minutes and wasn't sure if I connected with anyone... Nonetheless I tried to be my best self and show off my passion for medicine.

In total shock I never thought I'd ever make one of these posts. This is my third application cycle, first application to the UofA and I really didn't think I would get in this year. I'm overjoyed!!

To those that didn't get the response they were hoping for I've been where you are and understand how you feel. I used that time after my second rejection to reflect over my cycle, start my masters, travel, and pursue other interests outside of medicine. I think it's important to reflect on your application cycle, see where you could have improved, and talk to people outside of medicine. Give it your best shot, you've got this! 

wow congrats, Curious to know what your CARS score was the third time around? I got a low score and am discouraged :(

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my admissions decision (rejected).. did anyone get an interview score? The email I received with the scores says "Below we have summarized the main criteria upon which you were evaluated for invitation for interview " but doesn't mention my interview!

2 minutes ago, winston87 said:

I just got my admissions decision (rejected).. did anyone get an interview score? The email I received with the scores says "Below we have summarized the main criteria upon which you were evaluated for invitation for interview " but doesn't mention my interview!

No interview feedback for me either..

Result: Regrets

Timestamp: 9:09 am Mountain Time

GPA: 3.62

MCAT: 125.5

Degree: BSc with Honours in Chemistry, MSc in Organic Chemistry

ECs: 8/15

Interview: I was really thrown off by the delay in starting the Zoom meeting (March 20th at 8:15 am MT), and the different structure compared to the UofC. I felt the MMI stations went well, but did not leave time for follow-up questions in the panel station.

Thoughts: Obviously this sucks, the UofA is a very good school. But, I understand given my GPA and MCAT scores. I was happy to see that my EC score was (slightly) higher than average. It would be nice to get more constructive feedback from the UofA!

3 minutes ago, Hellocarrot said:

No interview feedback for me either..

Thanks for letting me know! I had the thought that they screwed something up and did not log my online interview correctly :/. It's a bit frustrating because they say that once you have the interview, that's what they based your admissions decision on... yet they don't tell us how they scored our interview!

Just now, bekind said:

I am so sad :( 

Didn't get any interview feedback either.  

I am just curious, does anyone know what waitlist letter are usually like? Like they would've sent that with this decision right?

Check your launchpad. I think they'd tell you in the email but launchpad will tell you for sure.