Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Acceptance

Timestamp: 9:29 AM MST

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.53

MCAT: 512 

Degree: Honours Anthropology, minor Bio

ECs: Sorority exec, raised money for food insecurity in Calgary, volunteer with vulnerable populations, Emergency department volunteer

Interview: Went pretty good, felt better about the U of C interview I did. 

Thoughts: Very grateful for a position anywhere, however will likely be declining if accepted at U of C. 

3 minutes ago, boymama20 said:

Timestamp: 9:29 AM MST

GPA: 3.53

MCAT: 512 

Degree: Honours Anthropology, minor Bio

ECs: Sorority exec, raised money for food insecurity in Calgary, volunteer with vulnerable populations, Emergency department volunteer

Interview: Went pretty good, felt better about the U of C interview I did. 

What was your EC score? Sounds like you have a lot of great experiences!

Just now, boymama20 said:

Hey, I could totally check, but I don't know where to see that??

It's your "Raw Personal Activity (x/15)". This is what my rejection email had (but your Acceptance email might be different):

cGPA
(x/4.00)
MCAT
(x/132)
Raw Personal
Activity 
(x/15)
Max Score 4.00 131.25 12.00
Average Score 3.85 128.75 7.92
Your Score 3.62 125.5 8

1 minute ago, winston87 said:

It's your "Raw Personal Activity (x/15)". This is what my rejection email had (but your Acceptance email might be different):

cGPA
(x/4.00)
MCAT
(x/132)
Raw Personal
Activity 
(x/15)
Max Score 4.00 131.25 12.00
Average Score 3.85 128.75 7.92
Your Score 3.62 125.5 8

Oh yeah mine did not say that. It said this:

Your application has been updated.  Please click here to access the UAlberta Launchpad to view this information. 

Sincerest Regards,
University of Alberta

ho.gif

Result: Acceptance!

Timestamp: no email, saw it on the launchpad when I checked

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 519

Degree: 4th year BSc

ECs: PM for details, I would say 50/50 ratio of typical premed to unique, no publications tho. Happy to chat! For the longer essays, 1 was about a personal life experience, 1 was about an EC where I felt I showed alot of growth. 

Interview: I thought it was one of my better interviews. I really liked the questions as I felt they were interesting topics I could speak a lot about and I felt the panel went super well. I had 1-2 where I thought my answers were boring but nothing I thought I bombed. It was one of my later interviews which I think definitely helped because I wasn't super nervous. 

I'm SO GRATEFUL this is insane!!  I'm definitely one of those people who never imagined I'd ever get here. I don't think it has hit me yet, and i found out to check from a friend who got a rejection email so it's been a day of very mixed feelings. 

Result: Acceptance!!!

Timestamp: 9:27 am MT

GPA: 3.83

MCAT: 518

Degree: Graduating from BSc this spring

ECsI filled out 15/16. Some research, club involvement, long-term work experience, lots of hobbies

Interview: I finished the interview feeling like it went really well, but then as time passed I wasn't sure

Thoughts: I'm in complete disbelief and it hasn't really sunk it yet, but I am so grateful and excited for this opportunity

Timestamp: literally didn't get an email yet, just on Launchpad!

Geography: OOP

GPA: 4.0

MCAT: 129/129/130/130

Degree: BScN 2018

ECs: Highlights included 2.5 years of working as an ER RN plus 4 years as a barista/supervisor at a coffee shop during my degree, two RN volunteering gigs, healthcare-related research, one poster presentation. No publications. Essay topics included working at a remote nursing station and overcoming an MVI/concussion to finish my degree. Feel free to PM me for more details! 

Interview: Honestly I was expecting a rejection after the interview - I didn't feel like it went well at all. I had answers to everything but did a lot of rambling. I do have a ton of relevant personal experience, maybe that made up for the lack of coherent structure.

Thoughts: So grateful to get in! I'll be declining if I'm accepted to UBC. 

edit - declining for UBC! So happy to open up another spot!! 

Result: Offer!

Timestamp: No email yet, just checked Launchpad

GPA: 3.95 for UofA

MCAT: 523 (132/129/132/130)

Degree: BSc Biochemistry (UBC) 2020

ECsEmployment: Lifeguard/Swim Instructor, Residence Advisor, Peer Tutor, Clinical Research Coordinator, Leadership: club president, university orientations, hobby group leader, high school activity, Volunteer: working with people who use drugs, hospital, city advisory committee, homeless shelter, Life experiences: travel, 3 research projects no pubs (2 were self-initiated/independent), Personal highlights: elaborated on club president (it's a unique advocacy club I'm quite passionate about), elaborated on my background in lifesaving/first aid/competitive swimming, elaborated on experiences working with people who use drugs, elaborated on my current FT job (working in a medical clinic & doing research during COVID)

Interview: Felt pretty good about it, I actually got feedback from an interviewer after one of my stations who said my answer for the station was excellent! Questions felt very standard and I had actually practiced some of those exact questions during my prep, just from the free question docs I found online. I had my first interview in November though so I was doing questions daily for 5+ months- I did A LOT of prep.

CASPer: Good enough for Mac OOP Invite with 3.65 cGPA and 129 CARS, also got UofM and MUN OOP invites

So incredibly grateful for this acceptance and would love to attend, but will likely decline if I am accepted to UBC.

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 9:27 am MT

GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 521

Degree: Graduating from BSc this year

ECs: Filled out almost all of the activities, had some research with one 2nd author pub and 2 conference presentations, long-term involvement with public health work, some hobbies

Interview: Felt alright, I'm not good at gauging my own performance

Just a question, I was really fortunate to get a scholarship called "Dr and Mrs Hazen Hankinson Dean's Undergraduate Citation in Medicine", but I can't figure out how much it is for, and it would really help to know how much to make my decision. Anybody know anything about it?

Result: Rejected

Timestamp: 9:27am MST

GPA: 3.93

Degree: B.Sc. Honours Psychology and B.Sc. Honours Biology

ECs: Lots of research including one second author publication, a moderate amount of volunteering as a course union executive, research coordinator, and at a family resource center doing counselling related things. Lots of job experiences ie. tutor, supplemental learning leader, TA, hospital unit clerk, financial services manager. The mother to a one year old boy, some travelling, snowboarding etc. 

Interview: Felt like garbage about it compared to other interviews! I got overwhelmed with my classes and didn't have as much time to prepare for this one so I kind of crumbled under the pressure I think. However, I really only felt extremely bad about 2-3 stations. 

Thoughts: I was so surprised to see my personal activities score was below average! Makes me super nervous to hear back from other schools. Although this was the only school I applied to that used Casper and I'm not sure that I did great on it. CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who was accepted!!!! 

1 minute ago, futuredocoverhere said:

ECs: Lots of research including one second author publication, a moderate amount of volunteering as a course union executive, research coordinator, and at a family resource center doing counselling related things. The mother to a one year old boy, some travelling, snowboarding etc. 

Interview: Felt like garbage about it compared to other interviews! I got overwhelmed with my classes and didn't have as much time to prepare for this one so I kind of crumbled under the pressure I think. However, I really only felt extremely bad about 2-3 stations. 

Thoughts: I was so surprised to see my personal activities score was below average! Makes me super nervous to hear back from other schools. Although this was the only school I applied to that used Casper and I'm not sure that I did great on it. CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who was accepted!!!! 

do you have 2 undergrads?? also you got this! its a matter of when not if with those stats!

Just now, justchilling said:

do you have 2 undergrads?? also you got this! its a matter of when not if with those stats!

I did a double honours undergraduate degree! :) I couldn't decide which I liked better so I decided to just do both. It took a long time though but I'm really happy I did it because I have tons of options now (especially if I don't get into med ha!) 

22 minutes ago, futuredocoverhere said:

ECs: Lots of research including one second author publication, a moderate amount of volunteering as a course union executive, research coordinator, and at a family resource center doing counselling related things. Lots of job experiences ie. tutor, supplemental learning leader, TA, hospital unit clerk, financial services manager. The mother to a one year old boy, some travelling, snowboarding etc. 

Don't worry mama you have great stats! You'll get in some where for sure. 

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: No email yet as of 12:53pm MT, but letter is there in Launchpad

GPA: 3.9x wGPA for UofA

MCAT: 52x

Degree: BSc long ago

ECs: Non-traditional background, have worked in an unrelated field for the past decade. Lots of leadership through that, and reasonably involved in my community.

Interview: Felt very good about it, during and afterward

Thoughts: Excited! You are never too old to pursue a dream :)

Result: Accepted!

Timestamp: 9:27AM

GPA: 3.8x 

MCAT: 51x

Degree: BSc and Masters

ECs: a whole jumble of things that represent my interests and things I care about

Interview: I felt good during and after the interview for the most part! Really enjoyed the panel.

Thoughts: just overwhelmingly grateful for this opportunity and for all the people who have made this possible!! Self doubt is real but surround yourself with people who believe in you, and believe in yourself! To those who did not get good news today... don't give up!!! You got this!!  

Result: Waitlist (accepted off waitlist May 17th!!)

Timestamp: 11:27AM (EST)

GPA: 3.8

Degree: Finishing PhD

ECs: filled all entries, lots of research and publications/conferences (10 first-author pubs)

Interview: initially accepted off of interview waitlist, panel felt great but the rest was rough

Thoughts: trying not to get my hopes up...any ideas how much the OOP waitlist moves??

Timestamp: Received an email about a change in the Launchpad status at 9:27 AM

Result: Accepted!

Geography: In Province

Education: Just finished my 4th and final year of a BSc with a double major in psychology and biology

GPA: 3.86, as calculated by the U of A

MCAT: 520 (CP 129/ CARS 130/ BB 130 / PS 131)

ECs: Filled in 16/16 spots. No research or publications. No hospital volunteering. Long-term employment in an allied health field, a long-term hobby/training in the performing arts, non-profit board experience, work as a care-aid, experience with vulnerable populations, strong focus on the arts.

Interview: This was my first interview ever so I really didn’t know how to feel. Prepped hard with friends and family for about 1 or 2 months beforehand using online resources. I left the interview feeling average at best but like I totally blew the panel. Didn’t make a connection with the panelists—it felt awkward and tense. Had low expectations for myself coming out of the interview.

Thoughts: This was my first time applying, and I got interviews at Calgary and U of A. I’m so beyond grateful and I feel very lucky. The last few years, I’ve been convincing myself that I’m just an average applicant, that I shouldn’t get my hopes up, and that there is no way I would get in on my first attempt because it seems like everyone else is so much better.

My friends and family had complete confidence in me, even though I didn’t. This is just a friendly reminder to pave your own way, do things you enjoy, and not get too bogged down by the competition.

Congrats to everyone else who was accepted. For those on the waitlist, I’m rooting hard for you! And for those of you who didn’t get the good news this time around, I’m so sorry. You guys got this. Hang in there — the journey will be worth it! 

9 hours ago, ma17 said:

OOP rejected, above average in each section (3.98 GPA, 130 MCAT, 8 activity score). I thought this was my best interview, too.

I'm also OOP, rejected, above average in each section very similar to your stats (4.00 GPA, 129.75 MCAT, 8 activity score). I also thought this was my best interview which is kind of destroying my hopes for my other interviews... We just have to keep our heads up and stay strong my friend. This is my 4th application cycle btw