Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Result: Acceptance!!

Timestamp: Didn't actually get an email, but opened the letter in launchpad around 9:15AM

Geography: IP

GPA: 3.72

MCAT: 507 (126/125/127/129)

Degree: BScN

ECs:

• Filled out all 16 entries (I'll give the cliff notes)
  • 6 years of emergency nursing experience, as well as employment positions prior to nursing
  • 3 years in a leadership position as a volunteer coordinator and office admin, assisting with vulnerable populations in my community through a social service agency. 
  • 2 years of volunteering with an advocacy center for children and families experiencing abuse/maltreatment
  • 2 years of being on a drug advisory committee for my community centered around harm reduction and prevention strategies. 
  • Video game marathon once a year (4 years running, raised $7000 for the Stollery thus far) 
  • Included hobbies like snowboarding and art, as well as discussed meaningful patient care situations.
  • Overall, I really tried to focus on what I learned from each experience and how it changed me or my perspective. 

Interview: Immediately after I felt fairly good, but as the weeks went on I slowly felt worse and worse about it (I feel like this is very common). I really enjoyed most of the questions, and the whole thing was SO fast! I blinked and it was basically done. Zoom interviewing was also new to me, but the UofA did a really good job conducting the interviews amidst a worldwide pandemic. 

Thoughts: I am so excited and grateful to have been accepted this year. This was my second time applying, and I am also somewhat of a mature student. I feel as though my experiences really affirmed my passion for pursuing medicine, and I did my best to portray that in my application (which, I don't think I did a good job of the first time around). Still a bit shook by the acceptance and probably reread the letter 100 times already. 

For those who received an acceptance today, CONGRATS! This is a huge accomplishment and you should all be so proud. I can't wait to meet you in August! 

For those who did not get in, I am so sorry. I know and have felt that disappointment. This process is long, difficult, and so competitive. There is definitely a lot of luck and good fortune in the process. Remember that you are WORTHY, you are IMPORTANT, and you have worked so hard to make it this far. To even get an interview for medicine is a massive accomplishment. Please give yourself space to feel your feels, and know that how you feel is valid. Take time for self care and connect with your support system. If this is something you choose to continue to pursue, I BELIEVE IN YOU, please believe in yourself <3 YOU GOT THIS. If this was your last cycle applying and are choosing to proceed in a different direction, I admire you wholeheartedly and wish you so much success in your alternate endeavours. Although it doesn't feel like it, medicine is not the "be all end all". If your passion or life path is leading you elsewhere, I wish you the most success.

Sorry for the long ramble, but I just feel like this whole process is... difficult. It is like an emotional rollercoaster! I have always felt comforted by what I read in forums and from chatting with other students in the same boat, so I wanted to possibly provide that for someone else. 

20 hours ago, Catsandstuff said:

Rejected

cGPA: 3.41

MCAT: 127.5

Personal activity: 6

I’m not very surprised, as I know my GPA sucks. I felt good after the interview though so I am disappointed.

We have fairly similar stats... keep your chin up, I know it's hard to figure out where to go from here or spend our time the next year, but I'm hoping next year will work out better. Message me if you want to talk about anything or help going through the process!

Result: Reject

Timestamp: 9:07am

GPA: 3.43

MCAT: 125.5

Degree: BSc in Biology, MSc in Surgery (finishing this spring)

ECs: 8

I was floored I received an interview to begin with. I know I should have spent more time preparing and really grinding before the interview, I didn't think it went horrible but I could have connected overall much better. The panel was my most disappointing performance, I was a bit rattled with it being the first one. I hope to take these experiences and bring more for it next year. I really hope I'm re-offered an interview again. Still wondering if I should attempt the MCAT all over again but that commitment and time makes me want to cry so I'm not sure I'm really ready to sell my soul yet haha. Good luck and congratulations everyone! For those of us that didn't make it this year, there's always another cycle of chances, and many people in the same boat as you. So don't feel alone, we have all put so much work into this.

Timestamp: 9:11

GPA: 3.91

MCAT: 127.75

Degree: BSc in Biology

Interview: I thought it went well

This was my 6th cycle. I am completely and utterly defeated. The previous cycles have left me with glimmers of hope for improvement which has helped me stay resilient. This cycle has ended me and I have no clue what to do moving forward. Medicine is all I want to devote my life to..

On 5/6/2021 at 11:33 AM, PTwhatt said:

Interview: Technical problems meant I had to redo it at the end. I thought it went relatively well the second time around.

This was my 6th cycle. I am completely and utterly defeated. The previous cycles have left me with glimmers of hope for improvement which has helped me stay resilient. This cycle has ended me and I have no clue what to do moving forward. Medicine is all I want to devote my life to..

I am so sorry that you have had to go through this process 6 times, but, if it is any silver lining, that in itself demonstrates incredible resilience and dedication that would serve you well as a doctor.

1 hour ago, PTwhatt said:

Interview: Technical problems meant I had to redo it at the end. I thought it went relatively well the second time around.

6 cycles is brutal, this is hard to read. I don't have any advice to offer except to do all you can to not take the process personally and not to see it as any kind of reflection of yourself or your abilities. Not to take away from the idea of self-improvement and reflection which are obviously important, but often times it's nothing to do with you. Luck plays the biggest role in the process, after a certain point in your stats and experiences; some people get lucky and get in right away, and some people take many tries. All I can say is that I'm sorry the process has been so cruel to you and that I wish you all the best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Hang in there.

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: N/A

GPA: 3.93

MCAT: 511 (128/127/128/128)

Degree: MSc 

ECs: Filled out 16/16. Mix of work experience, research (several publications), tutoring, and community work in immigrant communities. Also spoke about experiences such as living abroad and overcoming some personal challenges in my highlights and how they shaped me. 

Interview: Felt that it went ok overall! Had an awkward moment at my first station, and felt like the panel was a bit rushed. There were 3 stations that I felt I did really well on, while the others felt a bit bland and felt like I didn't offer anything particularly insightful. Compared to previous years I tried to really focus more on structure and going less on tangents, and it seems to have paid off! 

Thoughts: This was my fourth application cycle. Having been waitlisted by UofA all of last summer and rejected from UofC twice post-interview, I feel very relieved to finally be here. To all of you who didn't get the news that you wanted, I don't want to sound cliché but it really is a question of 'when' as opposed to 'if'. I was really frustrated and jaded last year and was wondering if there was something wrong with me, but I realized this whole process including the interview stage is filled with so much luck and chance that it should never be taken personally. If you have any questions about how I prepared differently this year feel free to PM me I'd be happy to help and give some tips! 

2 hours ago, PTwhatt said:

I'm also a multi-time rejected applicant (5 cycles) and I can relate to how you might be feeling. I've moved on and did not interview this cycle, but it's still such an emotional time of the year for me. Even thinking about it sometimes brings tears. I have had some to process all of this and just wanted to share my 2 cents with you.

I'm sorry life gave you this outcome. Know that you are not alone and there are many others like you in this boat, including myself. Many don't even bother posting because of how embarrassing it feels to be a multi-time rejected applicant. But this crowd exists and there's a good number of people in your shoes. 

Life can be unfair, and the medschool admission system in Canada is somewhat unfair (imo at least). The luck element has a big role in the process. And it's not just medschool. There's so much injustice and bs around the world and no matter how much we try, there are certain things we just can't change. The reality is that the admission process for medical school, i.e the system, is extremely competitive and only the cream of the crop will get in. Its unlikely it's something about you. Perhaps there are areas you could improve on, but those may need more time. 

I know you have put an extraordinary amount of effort towards your goal, and it can be baffling to be turned away with the one word 'rejected'. Its normal to be left jaded by it. I hope you take some time to come to your own realizations and keep working towards those things you care about. 

When I first started undergrad back in '10, I was once told by an research supervisor/mentor of mine that a medical resident of his took 7 cycles, i.e 7 years, to get into medical school. I actually couldn't believe it lol. At the time it didn't make sense to me how someone could keep going for so long. But people still do because medicine is their passion. 

Feel free to DM me if you would like someone to talk to. 

Result: Rejected

Timestamp: May 5, 2021

GPA: 3.48

MCAT: 516

Degree: BS 2020

Interview: Felt good while interviewing, although a few questions were a bit tough I felt like a managed. There are areas to improve for sure, like I could’ve spoken about my personal experiences more but in the moment it was hard to think of them on the spot. After the interview all the self-doubt and over analyzing came, but it seems like it’s common though.

Thoughts:  Really disappointed, it’s my second time applying and this was my first and only interview. It’s crazy to me that we work so hard for years to get to this point and sit in suspense full of anxiety waiting just to get a rejection email. Yet I still want to keep trying haha. Getting rejected is not the end of the world, there’s more to life than med school and being a doctor, but it’s disappointing and stressful to say the least.

Congrats to everyone who were accepted! Hopefully I’ll be there to join you another year!

On 5/5/2021 at 1:52 PM, smolandfeisty said:

Result: Accepted!!!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT

Timestamp: 9:11 AM MST

Geography: IP (I believe I qualified as rural)

GPA: 90% average --> 3.79 at U of A, U of C gives me a 3.87! lol 

MCAT: 506 (!!!) 129 CARS

Degree: BSc in Nursing

ECs: Oh gosh this was my strong suit for sure. Message me for details!

Interview: Felt really good about it!!! 1 reviewer said some very positive things to me and that felt awesome. Felt the best of my interviews. 

I SERIOUSLY CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I owe it all to God and my family for all of the support and help over the years, as well as countless others who have helped me along the way. I am very interested in paying it forward so please message me if I can help you!!! 

Don't give up!!! I didn't get ANY interviews last year, got multiple this year and so far 1 acceptance. 

For those of us that got in.... please don't think you're better than anyone else!!! There is so much luck involved in the process. I seriously don't believe that I am better than anyone else. Every year there are 1000's of people that would make excellent doctors, and only a small percentage are successful. I am truly only so so fortunate. 

Best of luck everyone. Sending hugs and support to those that didn't get good news today. 

Congrats!! Out of curiosity, what would you say you changed this year compared to last year? Asking as someone currently in the same boat, this cycle was my first time applying and I got 0 interviews despite having competitive grades and (imo + the opinions of others) some solid ECs so something definitely needs to be changed

On 5/5/2021 at 9:48 PM, AlteplaseStat said:

For those who did not get in, I am so sorry. I know and have felt that disappointment. This process is long, difficult, and so competitive. There is definitely a lot of luck and good fortune in the process. Remember that you are WORTHY, you are IMPORTANT, and you have worked so hard to make it this far. To even get an interview for medicine is a massive accomplishment. Please give yourself space to feel your feels, and know that how you feel is valid. Take time for self care and connect with your support system. If this is something you choose to continue to pursue, I BELIEVE IN YOU, please believe in yourself <3 YOU GOT THIS. If this was your last cycle applying and are choosing to proceed in a different direction, I admire you wholeheartedly and wish you so much success in your alternate endeavours. Although it doesn't feel like it, medicine is not the "be all end all". If your passion or life path is leading you elsewhere, I wish you the most success.

Thank you so much for this! I think that is great to reinforce for all applicants - that medicine is not the only route. There are many other pathways that involve patient care and many other skills required of MDs. And many have their own great benefits!

Congratulations on your acceptance and thank you for this note :D

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: May 5, 2021

GPA: 3.9

MCAT: 519

Degree: BSc 2016, MSc 2020

ECs: filled out all 16, but very diverse. I have lived in 3 different parts of the country, I have been extensively involved with leadership roles in academia and Toastmasters, and spent considerable time pursuing varsity athletics, besides typical volunteering.

Interview: Felt kind of average to be honest, and I thought I blew it on the panel when I spent too much time answering each question. I actually think it goes to show you that we are pretty poor assessors of our own performances, and ultimately all that it matters is that you are genuine and confident with your answers. I have interviewed before at UofA thinking I nailed it, and I ended up getting rejected. So don't give up on this phase if it is holding you back, it is the easiest phase to correct!

Thoughts: absolutely ecstatic, but I admit it has not completely sunken in yet that I have been accepted. This is my 3rd application in 5 years (and it felt like I was getting to a make or break point), and I was about to launch an alternative career in engineering/project management. I opened the letter after a long work day expecting a rejection, and I then suddenly saw Congratulations on the first line and my heart skipped a beat. Family, friends and girlfriend are absolutely thrilled for me (and I think they're more excited than I am right now haha). You really don't know how much I put my heart and soul into making this happen over the past decade (I'm 27 now), and the never-ending, coffee-fuelled hours I spent juggling a crazy schedule of ECs, work, volunteering and school, or having to work my ass off to pull off that MCAT score. Hard work and persistence DO PAY OFF.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, PTwhatt said:

Interview: I thought it went well

Hey man hit me up I'm assuming you got to the interview stage right? For most situations once you get there the interview is the biggest variation among all applicants... sucks to hear but don't let it define you. 

- G

Timestamp: N/A

GPA: 3.32

MCAT: 510 (126/128/128/128)

Degree: BS 2015, 2nd year CMMB

ECs: long and diverse.

Interview: Felt good but looking back I'm sure there is improvement to be made.

Thoughts: 5th cycle. I'm not really sure where to go from here. To all those who didn't get the news you wanted this week. Take time for yourselves and best of luck to everyone who received a waitlist offer. Congratulations to the class of 2025.

Result: Accepted!

Timestamp: May 5, 2021 @ 09:27 a.m.

GPA: 3.59

MCAT: 503

*Brief testimony: I wrote my first MCAT at the end of August and got my results mid-September, only to get a 123 in bio. I put myself on the waitlist to re-write my MCAT to be able to meet the minimum of 124 in each section to apply for UAlberta. Last minute, a slot opened and I re-wrote (with little additional studying).

Degree: BHS (2017), MHS (2021)

ECs: Filled out about 14 or 15 entries. At the time of application, I had about 3 years experience as a nuclear medicine technologist working in different provinces (AB, ON), and in a combination of outpatient medical imaging clinics and for AHS at a Cancer Centre. Volunteer experience with low-income/at-risk youth, with a Military Family Resource Centre, as a club executive for two cultural clubs in university, and with my (then) professional organization in NB. Worked numerous jobs throughout university including as a retail sales associate (which was included, and my former manager there was one of my references). I talked about my experiences with personal health challenges, as an immigrant who moved to Canada alone as a teenager, purchasing my first home, and starting a scholarship fund to pay for the tuition of one secondary school student who attends my church back in my home country (education is not free there).

Interview: I felt pretty confident overall about my interview. Interviewing and public speaking have always been a strong suit for me, and I had put in about 10-12 hours of practice by that point. I had also interviewed for Calgary a couple weeks prior (which was very different!). While the questions of the panel station were appropriate, some caught me off-guard as I was not expecting such straight-forward questions, so I probably could have done better there lol. For my last station, the interviewer mistakenly tried to start the response period only 15 seconds after the reading period began. The facilitator intervened, and we were able to recover from that. Funny enough, my husband and I had discussed a similar situation hypothetically just a few days prior, and so I was able to pull on some of our discussion to support my responses. Overall, I felt like I was able to give a good representation of myself.

Thoughts: It hasn’t sunk in fully yet that I have been accepted. Writing this has helped to make it feel a bit more real. While my last 3 years of my undergrad were 3.7 or above, due to the nature of my program and doing clinicals, I was unable to drop my (very low) first year which led to a lower calculated GPA. Additionally, none of my course-based master’s grades counted either. I had read about so many applicants with strong stats who did not get in and so my confidence was wavering. This was my first year applying, and to even get an interview was such a pleasant surprise, but to get accepted? WOW. I am so excited for the future and to build on my skills and knowledge base to become the best physician I can be. I look forward to meeting all of my new classmates.

For those who were not accepted this year, keep your head up and keep moving forward. You have an excellent opportunity to grow, to learn and to present all the wonderful reasons why you should be accepted next year.

Remember: “A rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success.” – Bo Bennett

Result: Accepted. Can hardly believe it.

GPA: 3.97

MCAT: 508 (124 CARS lol)

Degree: BSc 2018.

ECs: I'm going to include more details for this because I've been lurking on these threads for six years, and I've always wondered what the specifics of everyone's EC's have been. Hopefully this helps!

• Work
    • Worked at a Psychiatry Clinic from 2010 - 2013
    • Worked at Aritzia from 2011 - 2019
    • Worked for the University of Alberta Students' Union from 2017 - 2019 as an Event Coordinator where I executed Week of Welcome, Campus Cup, AntiFreeze, etc, and managed ~200 Senior Volunteers
    • Currently working for the Engineering Association in AB
  • Leadership
    • Volunteered with the Steadward Center with Children with Disabilities from 2015 - 2018 
    • Senior Volunteer (Team Facilitator) with the University of Alberta Students' Union from 2016 - 2017 
    • Day Camp Director with my Aunts Business from 2014 - 2017 
    • Co-President of Bridging Borders Edmonton from  May 2020 - Present 
  • Volunteering
    • Run Day Experience Lead for the CIBC Run for the Cure in 2017 and 2018 
    • Communications Director for Nathan Ip's campaign to become the School Board Trustee in 2013
    • Managed Basketball Teams in Junior High and High school every year from 2008 - 2013 
    • Project and volunteer manager for the YEG Community Response to COVID-19 (we partnered with the food bank, found 130 Edmontonians to be drivers and coordinated daily food deliveries to folks who couldn't afford groceries or were too sick to leave home. delivered almost 500 hampers in total) 
  • Life Experience/Achievements 
    • Talked about how I kept an event from being removed from our annual programming at my UASU job because I finally got 500 students to sign up for it over the course of my time there 
    • Research 
    • Campaign Manager for two student leaders who were running to become the Vice President Student Life and President of the University of Alberta Students' Union (and were both successful) 
    • Instagram account my mom and I run to highlight local coffee shops in Edmonton 

For the essays I wrote about my struggle with dependency on medication I was over-prescribed and unfortunately developed an addiction to, how my perspective on receiving feedback was shaped at a very young age by being a basketball manager, something a bit more personal that I'm not willing to share (my apologies), and how experiencing food insecurity as a child is why I wanted to partner with the food bank/help with deliveries to make sure folks in Edmonton didn't have to worry about experiencing food insecurity during the pandemic.

Interview: Honestly, I felt incredible about the interview. I've interviewed many times and always came out of it feeling meh, but I knew I crushed this one. I prepared every single day for ~two months with some wonderful people I met online (who are also now my classmates and roommates :')!!!!!), so by the time I went into it, there wasn't any topic I couldn't speak to. In fact, I had already practiced many of the questions they asked so I didn't even have to think about my responses. A lot of the stations were also things I was really passionate about, so I kind of went off in some of them and could tell they were a bit taken aback by what I was saying lol. Can't say more without giving away confidential info about the interview. Most importantly though, I didn't hold back my personality in any way. I find that I always tried to be what I thought they'd want me to be in previous years, but this year I spoke like I would to a friend, included a lot of relevant personal experiences, and I was able to connect with the interviewers in a way I never have before. I was also very vulnerable during the panel, in a way that I never have been before, and I could tell that made a difference just by the way the interviewers were reacting. Overall, I would go as far as to say that it was an enjoyable experience.

Thoughts: This was my 6th and final cycle. I have been rejected 5 times by the U of A, 3 times without an interview, and 2 times post-interview with no waitlist. I feel so genuinely grateful that I stuck it out, because I almost gave up at the end of last cycle. I also applied to U of C for the first time this year and interviewed there too, but I've already accepted U of A. Going to U of A has been my dream for 10 years, and it was an absolute no-brainer clicking the accept button.

If you got an R: If you didn't get the news you wanted this year, believe me when I say I know how you feel. This process is painful, and will make you sometimes question your worth. Not only is it hard to get past the rejection, but it feels like letting a whole community down every time you have to ask them to write a reference for you/verify your activities/wipe your tears so you can try again, but the silver lining of that is that when you get in, all those feelings of guilt and sadness are replaced by euphoria. If it makes any of you feel better, some of the people I originally prepped with many years ago are now residents, but I wouldn't have it any other way because I LOVE my new classmates and know we were meant to go through the 4 years together.

Just remember, the field of Medicine deserves people from all walks of life, including those that are currently facing yet another R. So take some time, lick your wounds, but don't give up! You are closer than you may realize.

Result: Acceptance

Timestamp: never got one, only saw the PDF in launchpad on May 5.

Geography: OOP

GPA: 3.8x? (launchpad no longer tells you)

MCAT: 129/128/129/130

Degree: Masters (2018)

ECs: Varsity athlete, years of working in Residence, student government, national recognized awards related to my masters/other career, and other really unique ECs.

Interview: It was a complete disaster, it was the hardest interview out of the 6 I did this year. After it was done I thought I had zero chance considering my low GPA and OOP status. Goes to show, you are a poor evaluator of your own interview performance.

Thoughts: I am writing this for future applicants who have lower GPA and stats, there is hope, keep going if this is what you truly want. I was in your position, and seeing these similar stories gave me just enough hope to continue down this path. I never ever thought in a million years I would have a chance at UofA after messing up my undergrad so badly, you never know until you try (multiple times).

UofA was my dream school growing up and I am still in disbelief. Unfortunately as a 30+ candidate I am leaning towards Mac due to the 3 year program and proximity to my aging parents. Really conflicted :(

Already posted some info above but thought I'd give a full post just so all my info is here.

Timestamp: 11:09am EST, May 5, 2021

GPA: 4.00

MCAT: 131/131/128/129

Degree: BSc 2017, MSc 2019

ECs: 8

Interview: Thought it went really well, I didn't feel like I struggled with any questions and I had lots of experiences to back up my answers. Kind of surprised with the result. 

Congrats to those who got accepted, and good luck to those for whom this journey to med school is not over yet.

Result: Accepted off the WL

Timestamp: May 18, 10:21AM PST

GPA: 3.90

MCAT: 516

Degree: BSc

ECs: Hard to judge this objectively but I think they were diverse and thoughtfully written? 

Interview: I felt the most confident in this one out of all my interviews. Panel felt like it went well even though I only answered their first question the whole time -I can I had a lot to say lol!!

Will be accepting :)

Result: Accepted off the WL

Timestamp: May 21, 1:01PM MDT

GPA: 3.98

MCAT: 517 (130/127/131/129)

Degree: B.Sc 2021

ECs: Only filled 9/16. However, I did include several very long-term activities (1000's of hours).

Interview: Honestly it was a blur. I had spent hours and hours preparing through mock interviews and learning about the healthcare system. So I guess that helped?

Thoughts: I'm still in disbelief! I will be accepting my offer. I look forward to attending U of A in the fall :)!

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here also applied to the ualebrta DDS program and have recently gotten an acceptance letter? Is anyone planning on declining their dental spot for med? 

I just want to get some idea on how likely the waitlist will move for this year.

Any help will be appreciated! 

Thanks,

desperate fellow

• 1 month later...

Hi peeps from Alberta, BC person lurking (looking into my options). I noticed that compared to UBC applicants the GPA is lower (good news for me lol). Are you lot using a canadian 4.33 system for GPA? (For example, what would someone posting a 3.4 GPA be as a percentage at UBC be?)