Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

I'm an Alberta resident in undergraduate studies. I just finished my 3rd year. My GPA was 3.95 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 10

Verbal: 10

Biological Sciences: 13

Written Sample: R

I was waitlisted by Alberta. This is my first time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend U of A as my first choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a AB resident in undergraduate studies (2nd year). My GPAs were 4.0 and my MCAT scores were PS: 14 V: 13 BS: 14 WS: S

Extracurriculars:

-notably, no research.

-4 or so long-term (3-6 years continuous) volunteering stints in a variety of communities (the inner city, refugee youth, my church, and at a summer camp). emphasized leadership roles within all of these.

-2 short term volunteering projects out of the country.

-some minor artistic/musical pursuits.

I have a minor speech impediment that makes it hard to understand me, sometimes. Was convinced I'd bombed the interview.

I was accepted by the U of A & U of C. This was my first time applying to either school.

I chose the U of A.

See you in the fall! Good luck to those still wait-listed. :)

• 8 months later...

BTW, I am IP Yukon, 4.00 gpa, MS.c with publications including first author, spent 2.5 years travelling and volunteering throughout various 3rd world countries across the planet and a bunch of other stuf fthat impressed them I guess. Felt ridiculously good about my interview.

Not as good as I feel right though!!!

Waitlisted!!!

I'm a IP resident in my third year of undergraduate studies. My GPA was 3.95 first year, 3.97 second, 3.8 third, and my MCAT scores were:

I can't even remember the breakdown. I got a 10 in PS, and a 34R overall, can't remember how the scores broke down into BS and V. I think 11 V and 13BS, not sure aside from that.

I was waitlisted by Alberta. This is my first time applying to this school.

This is the only school I applied to.

Oh my goodness...I'm IN!!!! My 1st choice! I can't believe it!

IP

Undergrad in Foreign Language, finished in 2006

Did an extra year to raise my GPA (I was rejected from U of A last year due to my GPA)

MCAT 10-10-12 PS T

U of A overall 3.69 (regular cumulative is 3.58, I think)

U of A pre-req 3.76 (I think)

This is my 2nd and last (YAY!) attempt...:)

I was accepted and am an IP graduate student.

BSc in Science - cGPA around 3.75

Grad GPA - 4.0

MCAT - 12BS, 11PS, 12V, S

ECs - nothing stellar, a lot of short term volunteer stuff, sports teams, conferences, no hospital experience

I applied to U of C, U of A, and Queen's

Interviewed at U of C, U of A, and Queen's

Accepted at U of C and U of A, waitlisted at Queen's

I'm 95% sure that I'm going to U of C

I was accepted and am an IP student. This is my third time applying and I guess it is a charm! For all those that didn't get in, hang in there. I didn't get in last year after graduation, took a year off to work and applied again. Be persistent!

BSc in Science - pcGPA= 3.73 cGPA-3.86

MCAT=33Q

ECs - the usual (hospital, research etc.)

I applied to U of C, U of A

Interviewed at U of C, U of A

Accepted at U of A, waitlisted U of C

I will be attending U of A.

Accepted!!!!

cGPA: 3.83 (according to OMSAS)

preGPA: 3.79

best of 2 years is 3.90

MCAT: 10B 11P 10V S

Extra currics: I'm a walking cliche - soccer for many many years, volunteered in a hospital, went to the Philippines for a month, tons of travelling on my own, and lots of little volunteer things through Rotaract.

I think my interview was really good... for any future readers: just relax and walk in with your head high! :D

This was my first choice so Jochi, I'll be seeing you in September (or Aug31st to be exact!)

I also was waitlisted in UofC and Queens and will be pulling myself from those waitlists ASAP (so guys, it will move! have faith!)

Accepted this morning at 0937!!!

B.Sc. 2008, first application

cumulative GPA 3.83, 3.89 weighted

prereq GPA 3.98

14PS 11VR 13BS R

ECs - hospital volunteering, tutoring, leadership in student groups and church, a year of working in pharmaceutical manufacturing, etc. Most of my stuff was pretty short term, I felt my EC's were weak. Oh yeah, and no research!

Didn't think the interview went particularly well, but looks like it was good enough! Congrats to everyone who got in, and I hope the waitlist moves for those of you who didn't.

Applied Alberta, Calgary, Queen's, Toronto

Interviewed Alberta, Calgary, Queen's

Waitlisted Calgary, Queen's

Accepted in Alberta! 1st choice

Accepted!

IP with a 3.69 CGPA and 3.6? pre-reqs. Graduated with an MBA/LLB a couple of years ago so my extra-curriculars are mostly work experience and a lot of non-traditional stuff. I'm completely floored as I only applied to UofA and UofC and UofC wouldn't even give me an interview... I think I've rechecked the email half a dozen times looking for the "Whoops - we made a mistake".

Hey everyone!

I'm an Alberta resident, just finished my 4th year of undergraduate studies at McGill University. My GPA was 3.74 and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: 11

Verbal: 9

Biological Sciences: 12

Written Sample: T

I was accepted by Alberta. This is my first time applying to med school. Of all the schools I applied to, Alberta is my first choice - McGill being a close second.

Good luck to everyone who was waitlisted, and to those who were accepted: see you in the fall!

Congrats to all accepted.

4th Year IP, first time applying

cGPA - 3.82

pGPA - 3.7

MCAT - PS: 13 VR: 10 BS: 14 WS: Q

EC's - president of student council, tutoring, orientation, church volunteering, 2 published papers, NSERC and AHFMR summer research, mentoring...

Applied: UofA, UofC

Interviewed: UofA, UofC

Interview went well at both I felt.

Accepting: UofA

Guest rpuff

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3rd year IP, first time applying

cGPA 3.9

pGPA 3.9

MCAT: 11PS 11VR 14BS Q

ECs: stuck to stuff I felt passionate about and connected to... worked 2 summers as an aide to a developmentally delayed teen, coached 5 years of special needs baseball, huge fundraising efforts in residence ~$10 000, floor coordinator in first year, worked at family practice and some international choral experience. One paltry semester of a lab course for research experience. Got in without ever working in a lab, volunteering at a hospital or declaring my major!

Applied: U of A, U of C

Accepted: U of A

Waitlisted: U of C

so pumped U of A is my top choice see you in the fall!

Accepted!

IP, graduatee with a B.Sc from UofA spring 2009.

cGPA: 3.74

pGPA: 3.76

(but if they counted my fourth year, these numbers increase by about 0.1 due to a 4.0 in this year)

MCAT:

PS 8

VR 10

BS 12

Q

EC:

Volunteering: 1 year of UofA hospital: wayfinding/ emerg;

3.5 years big brothers big sisters

2.5 years big brothers big sisters (diff program)

Held many jobs since I was young, and had been working as a waiter for the last 2 years.

2 publications (but i dont think i mentioned them... )

2 summers of lab work + 499 (full year honors thesis, even though i'm not in honors)

other random stuff

I was also waitlisted at UofC, but UofA was my first choice and I will happily be accepting and taking my name off the UofC waitlist.

See you all soon!

Accepted off-the-bat.

2nd time applying and interview. Got waitlisted last year without getting off.

Now completing M.Sc.

IP

cGPA 3.97

pGPA 3.73

MCAT 11 11 9VR Q

Pretty good ECs, awards and such.

first aid instructor and examiner

lifeguard

student program coordinator for personal trainers

personal trainer

a couple research assistant positions

a couple of steering committee voluteer positions

some comments about my travels and extracurricular interests like playing piano.

nserc studentship

a few awards and scholarships

Felt like I did well during my interview. I practiced a lot with people I met on this forum. In my last MMI station (the one where you give feedback on the MMI) I asked the guy how I did in my answer to an earlier station with him. He looked at his notes and read that my answers were well stated and organized. He wouldn't tell me how he scored me though :(

Accepted

4th yr IP

pGPA = cGPA = 3.85

MCAT 31Q

EC: volunteering at hospital, nursing home, homeless shelter, big brother; basic research research/lab, tutoring, various intermural clubs (sports, music)

Interview: felt very confident about 2 stations, had no idea what I was talking about for 1 station, and average for the remaining stations

My application should serve as a beacon of hope to those who think their marks are too low to apply here.

5th yr IP, first time applying, accepted at UofA

cGPA: 3.65

pGPA: 3.53

MCAT: 30S

My EC's were MANY and DIVERSE. I knew that getting in with marks alone would definitely be an uphill battle for me, so I focused on things that would make me a stronger applicant in a different area. Doing that, I think, also makes you a better person, and makes you really understand why it is you want to be in Med school.

Served as a major Exec of a few campus groups, was on a campus sports team, volunteered and restructured the role of the ER volunteer, volunteered abroad, worked at a seniors' home, presented at conferences, attained a publication.

I think I also must have done well on my interview.

My advice: do NOT lose hope if you think your marks suck. Don't let the "3.83" average scare you on the Med website either. Remember, it's an average, so there are people above and below that. Take my acceptance as living proof of that.

Don't lose hope, and keep the faith!