Premed 101 Forums

Making up for low undergrad GPA

Hello!

I'm entering 4th year of BScN. The past 3 years have been directionless and I've only just begun to consider pursuing an MD. I spent one semester part-time and have not quite finished the usual pre-reqs (i.e. another org chem) so NTP would be the way to go for me as I'm planning to work as an RN for couple of years before applying to med school.

The first-year science courses and one failed course in my first semester have really held back my GPA and I'll be graduating with a 3.0 at best which, I believe, is considered too low even for NTP.

My questions are, will I be able to make up for my low GPA with some Continuing Studies courses and a high MCAT score for NTP? Or should I do a second Undergrad and apply the "traditional" way? If so, do you have recommendations as to what majors would be more advantageous? I think I should be careful with starting another undergrad as having completed a full-time degree within 3 years would disqualify me for NTP at McGill. And if I do a part-time degree, that would disqualify me for the traditional entry!

Also, the only school I've looked at for NTP is McGill. What other Canadian schools have NTP? Is NTP "unofficial?"

Thank you in advance for your response! I'm really excited and nervous at the same time about this!

you cannot make up for 3.0 GPA with a strong MCAT or retaking courses. I think your best course of action would be a second degree. But before enrolling , i think you might want to try and figure out why your 1st degree didn't go as you would have liked and you need to be certain that it wont happen in your 2ed degree. You need to pick a degree in which you KNOW you can do well (at least 3.75 really), med schools really do not have a preference for what degree you have.

Hello!

I'm entering 4th year of BScN. The past 3 years have been directionless and I've only just begun to consider pursuing an MD. I spent one semester part-time and have not quite finished the usual pre-reqs (i.e. another org chem) so NTP would be the way to go for me as I'm planning to work as an RN for couple of years before applying to med school.

The first-year science courses and one failed course in my first semester have really held back my GPA and I'll be graduating with a 3.0 at best which, I believe, is considered too low even for NTP.

My questions are, will I be able to make up for my low GPA with some Continuing Studies courses and a high MCAT score for NTP? Or should I do a second Undergrad and apply the "traditional" way? If so, do you have recommendations as to what majors would be more advantageous? I think I should be careful with starting another undergrad as having completed a full-time degree within 3 years would disqualify me for NTP at McGill. And if I do a part-time degree, that would disqualify me for the traditional entry!

Also, the only school I've looked at for NTP is McGill. What other Canadian schools have NTP? Is NTP "unofficial?"

Thank you in advance for your response! I'm really excited and nervous at the same time about this!

I'm not sure what NTP is? Is that a Nurse Practioner? If so, I can't speak to what is required for NP, however below are my comments regarding medicine.

1. You seem to be hovering between medicine and NTP (whatever that is) - I think you should pick one and do what is required for that - this will give you the focus and strategy of how many courses to take, new undergrad etc.

2. No, you can't "make up" your GPA with a few courses or high MCAT. Unfortunately, when it comes to med school, GPA is king and with a 3.0 its unlikely a couple courses will bring up your GPA enough - especially since most schools only look at courses that are taken as part of your degree when calculating GPA (Mac doesn't, they look at all courses ever taken, however a 3.0 is unlikely to get you an interview). Same for a high MCAT - its not that easy to get a high MCAT score.

3. If you are serious about med, you will NEED a second undergrad - refer to the sticky for more info on that.

4. As for what degree/major, well you should do something that really interests you, so that you will give yourself a better shot at getting good grades. I agree with the PP that you really need to figure out why your GPA was so low in the first place and what you need to change to get that 3.8+ GPA in the future...

However, since you are graduating with as a nurse, I think that its a good idea to just work for a few years and get a feeling for if you even want to pursue medicine. You will get to see what its really like to be a doctor and this will either solidify your desire or will turn you off.

Archived