Premed 101 Forums

Advice on GPA

Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance for your advice! I have graduated from University and currently have a 3.66 cGPA, thanks to a not-so-great year...Im wondering if I should do some extra course work or schooling to try and bring it up to reach a competitive GPA?

**Writing MCAT in september, have scored from 9-12 on practice so really hoping to get at least a 10!

It is nearly impossible to significantly increase your GPA for McMaster as they look at every course you ever take. IE. 4 years at 3.66 + 2 years at 4.0 = 3.77 (and that's best case scenario of 4.0 over a few years).

Other schools will look at your best 2/last 2 or have other weighting formulas that might benefit from more schooling.

It is nearly impossible to significantly increase your GPA for McMaster as they look at every course you ever take. IE. 4 years at 3.66 + 2 years at 4.0 = 3.77 (and that's best case scenario of 4.0 over a few years).

Other schools will look at your best 2/last 2 or have other weighting formulas that might benefit from more schooling.

Yes I know what you're saying and I wish it were that simple! I only have 1 year of full time studies - I did some part time, plus an exchange program, and then nursing which most schools don't recognize as being full time. So those schools are out for me :( it seems Mac would be most attainable for me but again I'm afraid my GPA will hold me back. I thought I bumped it up even to 3.75 it would be more competitive?? There's a masters option but how much would that really improve my chances?

My advice would be to stop asking what your chances are, and just apply and see what happens! The reality is, no one on these boards knows what your chances are. People have gotten in to McMaster with a similar GPA to you, so just apply. Why not? The worst that could happen is you don't get an interview, which would then be actual concrete evidence that you need to improve your application package (either by improving casper performance, increasing GPA, or increasing VR score).

My advice would be to stop asking what your chances are, and just apply and see what happens! The reality is, no one on these boards knows what your chances are. People have gotten in to McMaster with a similar GPA to you, so just apply. Why not? The worst that could happen is you don't get an interview, which would then be actual concrete evidence that you need to improve your application package (either by improving casper performance, increasing GPA, or increasing VR score).

Very good point thank you :)

Archived