Premed 101 Forums

Calculating GPA for McGill?

ema2iur

Hey everyone,

I am OOP from Ontario and I am just wondering how the GPA is calculated at McGill? I saw from a GPA conversion table that McGill treats an A like an A+ and that this is a 4.0. Can someone please confirm this. Also, is an A- a 3.7?

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I am OOP from Ontario and I am just wondering how the GPA is calculated at McGill? I saw from a GPA conversion table that McGill treats an A like an A+ and that this is a 4.0. Can someone please confirm this. Also, is an A- a 3.7?

Thanks!

yes, you are on the right track.

Wow. Just looked up the statistics for OOP. 9 seats for 923 applicants last cycle. That's discouraging.

I saw that as well. If we're above the average stats for admission from the OOP pool we'll still stand a decent shot though :) (obviously interview, etc will be a big factor)

I saw that as well. If we're above the average stats for admission from the OOP pool we'll still stand a decent shot though :) (obviously interview, etc will be a big factor)

I feel like ECs must carry a tremendous weight if the difference between lowest interviewed / average GPA is so large. I'm at a 3.86, not entirely sure if it's worth applying. But why not right? It's only a couple hundred dollars.

EDIT: 3.86 OMSAS. How exactly does McGill calculate for Ontario, anyways? Didn't find anything on their website.

I feel like ECs must carry a tremendous weight if the difference between lowest interviewed / average GPA is so large. I'm at a 3.86, not entirely sure if it's worth applying. But why not right? It's only a couple hundred dollars.

EDIT: 3.86 OMSAS. How exactly does McGill calculate for Ontario, anyways? Didn't find anything on their website.

As far as I've seen, they use the scale of A+=4.0, A=4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, B=3.0, B-=2.7, etc.

I hope they do cause I'm at a 3.99 cGPA with a 4.0 bsGPA on that scale, if they go omsas style I'm around a 3.96 cGPA and 4.0 bsGPA.

And yeah, I think EC's and interview performance must play a pretty large role. Maybe futuredoc can shed some light on this? I might send a pm and let you know what I find out.

As far as I've seen, they use the scale of A+=4.0, A=4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, B=3.0, B-=2.7, etc.

I hope they do cause I'm at a 3.99 cGPA with a 4.0 bsGPA on that scale, if they go omsas style I'm around a 3.96 cGPA and 4.0 bsGPA.

And yeah, I think EC's and interview performance must play a pretty large role. Maybe futuredoc can shed some light on this? I might send a pm and let you know what I find out.

Cool! Thanks.

Also, definitely like that scale. Bumps me to a 3.91/3.96 c/bs.

Hopefully we'll be 2/9 that make it!

If you are OOP, 3.86 won't cut it whereas if you are IP, you are highly competitive. ECs are very important to McGill, aleythough I know some who surprisingly got in which virtually none. McGill is a black box and can be quite subjective. The autobios are very important.

Even though stats show OOP avg. interviewee GPA at 3.93, and lowest around a 3.5? Hmph.

If you are OOP, 3.86 won't cut it whereas if you are IP, you are highly competitive. ECs are very important to McGill, aleythough I know some who surprisingly got in which virtually none. McGill is a black box and can be quite subjective. The autobios are very important.

Thanks fd :) I'm assuming you're confirming the scale that we mentioned too :) cause it keeps both jmatt and i in the competitive pool!

Even though stats show OOP avg. interviewee GPA at 3.93, and lowest around a 3.5? Hmph.

I think fd meant that 3.86 is on the low end for acceptance as an OOP, but I'm pretty sure you will be a 3.91 cause of the conversion scale, and a 3.96 bsGPA seems like a pretty good spot to me as well.

I imagine that 3.5 is fairly rare and probably had quite awesome ECs, etc.

Where have you seen this? I have always thought that A on a 4.3 scale was converted to 3.9 on McGill's 4.0 scale. I have heard from a few sources... have they changed this recently?

A+ 4.0

A 3.9

A- 3.7

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit confused with this myself. So do you take every individual grade and convert it into its respective GPA then average them all together. Essentially in the same way as OMSAS but using the McGill scale? or do you take your final average on your transcript for your entire major and simply convert that to a GPA?

edit: ehh I'm an idiot. it says right on the website.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I still don't understand. On my (Ontario) university's Academic Calendar it gives this:

A+ 90-100%

A 80 -89%

B 70 - 79%

C 60 - 69%

D 50 - 59%

F below 50%

Does that mean that all of my marks 80% and above are a Mcgill 4.0? Say I got a 79. My university apparently doesn't award B+ and just calls that a B. So is that a Mcgill 3.0?

Archived