Premed 101 Forums

If You Could Go To Any Medical School In Canada, Which Would it be?

Mac for me. I've worked closely with Mac alumni physicians and I notice how their approach to patients are different to other alumni. When you add the fact that it's a 3 year program and PBL teaching style, it's a sealed deal.

UofT will be my second choice, but I do not like the competitive environment and the God complexes the students display. Since I live in Toronto, it will be the most convenient school, but I really do not like the city.

Queens would be my last choice.

interesting to see mac come up so often. esp. with all the mac bashing that goes on elsewhere here

Yeah, I was surprised too :P

For me, I would probably go with UofT just because I was born and raised in the GTA. I'm actually moving even closer to the school soon.

I would definitely choose Mac if I could go to any medical school. The reasons include, that they have an amazing campus, the PBL approach, the program is three years allowing me to save money and start practicing a year earlier, and all of the McMaster alumni I've talked to have nothing but good things to say about Mac.

Gagan

eh, for all yall claimin to wanna go to mac for "pbl approach"..... have you eva had pbl? its purdy sucky if you ask me or any of my classmates.. gets old fast. dun get me wrong, its ok at first but most peeps i talk to and i find it is a very inconsistent way to lern.. very dependent on the grup members n facilitator.. many have crappy groups/facilitator and is nightmare and poor learning..

if i had to choose it would be betwen: u of t, ubc, or alberta, not nec in dat ordr

eh, for all yall claimin to wanna go to mac for "pbl approach"..... have you eva had pbl? its purdy sucky if you ask me or any of my classmates.. gets old fast. dun get me wrong, its ok at first but most peeps i talk to and i find it is a very inconsistent way to lern.. very dependent on the grup members n facilitator.. many have crappy groups/facilitator and is nightmare and poor learning..

if i had to choose it would be betwen: u of t, ubc, or alberta, not nec in dat ordr

I never thought of that :S

I think I'd still choose mac though; I still have some time to think about it though :P

That is exactly what scared me off McMaster....

I had PBL style learning in my business program and loved it. I agree that it depends a lot on the group/facilitator but I still found it was a great way for me to lean.

Calgary because it's closer to my immediate family and friends, very important, I like the 3 yr program, and they have a student-run clinic that serves homeless and underprivileged which is basically what I want to do.

MUN because most of my extended family is in Newfoundland, Newfoundland is AMAZING with tons of totally unique landscapes/things to do/people are ultra-nice/the accent is so fun, and there seem to be a lot of cool opportunities to serve rural, isolated areas (apparently some students have flown in a helicopter to these places!) :)

But every city and every school has its unique opportunities and cool aspects that I don't know about, so I'm more than happy to get in anywhere!

I would definitely choose Mac if I could go to any medical school. The reasons include, that they have an amazing campus, the PBL approach, the program is three years allowing me to save money and start practicing a year earlier, and all of the McMaster alumni I've talked to have nothing but good things to say about Mac.

Gagan

I don't know about the saving money part, but the rest is A-OK.

I don't know about the saving money part, but the rest is A-OK.

tuition is more expensive yes so no savings there, but you save an entire year of rent/living/food/stress. on the flip side, the max OSAP loan is not 7k, but 11k (3-term year instead of 2-term) so you also do lose some grants because of what.

tuition is more expensive yes so no savings there, but you save an entire year of rent/living/food/stress. on the flip side, the max OSAP loan is not 7k, but 11k (3-term year instead of 2-term) so you also do lose some grants because of what.

I stand corrected and ashamed.

interesting to see mac come up so often. esp. with all the mac bashing that goes on elsewhere here
I find it interesting that it seems the #1 reason for choosing mac is for pbl. Pretty much every school has elements of pbl/cbl/whatever the school calls it. It's just a spectrum of how much pbl each school has.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about (I should have specified)

I stand corrected and ashamed.

Haha, no worries :)

Western, Mac, Calgary and MUN would all be about equal for me. I like the cities those schools are in, and, as an older non-trad, the three-year programs at Mac and Calgary have a certain appeal (and at the moment the only really competitive field that interests me is rads, but I admit I haven't had a lot of exposure to different specialties yet). In fact, if I don't get into medical school and end up doing a masters in nutrition/dietetics, Western and MUN would be two of my top three choices for that program (combined Masters/dietetic internship program, also very competitive to get into).

I wouldn't enjoy Toronto or McGill, simply because I'm not fond of big cities. UBC would be okay at one of the regional campuses. Ottawa is starting to get to big a little too big for me, but having grown up there I know I might end up there. Just not where I want to settle down eventually, but I could handle another 4 years there. Other schools I don't know much about.

Eminate ultra competitive keenerness, cold, condescending with a touch of god complex, incapable of conversing about anything other than the MCAT and dear god so sanctimonious

I met a coupla cool ones though but everyone seems to agree uoft med students are more likely to be of the first description

And now I have offended 1000 people

If "ethnics" was a typo for "jerkstore" then you'd be correct :D

100 POINTS FOR GRYFFINDOR!

200px-Harris_Dumbledore_CoS.jpg

Archived