Premed 101 Forums

Another what are my chances (with poor MCAT and good GPA)

Hey Guys,

I posted a "What are my chances" thread a while ago but I didn't have my MCAT scores then and now I finally got my scores today (fairly disappointed too)! :eek:

But here are my stats: 3.93 cGPA, 28S (11/7/10), 300+ hours of volunteering at a hospital, TA, exec on a couple clubs, 2 years of research (no pubs though), did many many science workshops and demonstrations for kids and during frosh week.

Do I have a shot at any MD school this cycle? I am planning on applying to Wayne, Chicago, Oakland, GW, Penn State, Georgetown, and SUNY - is that a good representation given my stats or am I aiming too high?

Thanks for the input :)

FF

Your MCAT puts you out of the running (<30, <8 in any section). If you want to goto a US MD school, you need a >30. But with a 28, you can apply to DO schools. Other people(mashematoo) would be more knowledgeable about DO, shoot them a PM. Your GPA is good for Canadian school. I would advise you try those out (i.e. ottawa) before you try the US. Good luck!

Your MCAT puts you out of the running (<30, <8 in any section). If you want to goto a US MD school, you need a >30. But with a 28, you can apply to DO schools. Other people(mashematoo) would be more knowledgeable about DO, shoot them a PM. Your GPA is good for Canadian school. I would advise you try those out (i.e. ottawa) before you try the US. Good luck!

thanks! I'll probably have to do a re-write in September so hopefully I can boost VR up by a couple points!

Hey Guys,

I posted a "What are my chances" thread a while ago but I didn't have my MCAT scores then and now I finally got my scores today (fairly disappointed too)! :eek:

But here are my stats: 3.93 cGPA, 28S (11/7/10), 300+ hours of volunteering at a hospital, TA, exec on a couple clubs, 2 years of research (no pubs though), did many many science workshops and demonstrations for kids and during frosh week.

Do I have a shot at any MD school this cycle? I am planning on applying to Wayne, Chicago, Oakland, GW, Penn State, Georgetown, and SUNY - is that a good representation given my stats or am I aiming too high?

Thanks for the input :)

FF

I think the lower tier schools like Wayne may give you a chance since your application looks great without the MCAT scores but I'm just speculating here.

You should only expect interviews from schools like Wayne and possibly SUNY. Georgetown and Chicago and the likes are out of the question with a 28. <30 MCAT is like a filthy stain on your app no matter what else you have, unless you are URM.

You should only expect interviews from schools like Wayne and possibly SUNY. Georgetown and Chicago and the likes are out of the question with a 28. <30 MCAT is like a filthy stain on your app no matter what else you have, unless you are URM.

thanks for the input! I figured with a low MCAT my chances will be pretty slim. If I re-write in mid-Aug or early September but submit my application now-ish and get a better score, will that improve my chances? or would it too late by the time scores are released?

Getting into a MD will be pretty hard. But you should be able to get into a DO school. They look at your application holistically and don't reject you if one component of your application is subpar...

thanks! I haven't really considered DO schools yet but I might apply to a few now!

• 2 months later...

Archived