Premed 101 Forums

OOP 4th yr Stats

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows the stats of the accepted applicants from the OOP 4th year pool?

I've seen that the 2 and 3 yr pool is crazy competitive, especially for OOP, so I'm just trying to gauge my chances for acceptance (not just interview).

GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 35R (14-10-11 for PS-VR-BS)

I know not everything can be said from these stats, and will post activities if someone is willing to offer some advice. Thanks.

Will be completing my fourth year this year (done by april 25ish, so I think that puts me in the 4th yr applicant pool).

I'm OOP with lower GPA and MCAT and I got interviewed last cycle. I'm 99% sure you'll get interviewed if ECs and references are at least average.

Thanks for the reply! Would you mind taking a read through my ECs if I PM them to you? Maybe give me your opinion on where they stand? I know it's just one opinion, but any feedback is better than none :)

And my references should be at least average, I hope :P

I hear the chances for OOP are fairly good if you get interviewed. Someone said there are usually ~75 interviewed for 25 spots, with fairly good OOP waitlist movement. Care to comment?

Btw, I also qualify as a rural applicant (lived my whole life thus far in a community of ~3000 ppl that is about 140 km away from the nearest urban centre of 50000+

Sure you can PM me your ECs. I think there were ~65 OOPs interviewed for 23 spots last cycle. I also heard from the admissions dean that the year before they went through the entire OOP waitlist and had to pull in some IPs to fill the 15% OOP quota. So I think OOP post-interview chances are quite good (can't speak from personal experience though).

I think you can qualify as a rural applicant only if you're IP. Double-check this.

Again, obviously it depends also on the rest of your application. But based on MCAT and GPA alone you should be fine. My stats were similar (4.0 [i think this is what it translated to at U of A] and 36) and I got in as a 3rd year OOP applicant. I believe the rest of my app was pretty decent as well though.

• 2 weeks later...
How do you calculate your GPA for the university of Alberta? are they following OMSAS GPA conversion chart? Thank you

Their admissions page says they use the UAlberta 4.0 scale. I searched that in google and found a link from their registrar.

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/My-Personal-Records/Grades/Grading-System-Explained.aspx

It's nicer than OMSAS (A+=A=4.0)

Their admissions page says they use the UAlberta 4.0 scale. I searched that in google and found a link from their registrar.

http://www.registrarsoffice.ualberta.ca/My-Personal-Records/Grades/Grading-System-Explained.aspx

It's nicer than OMSAS (A+=A=4.0)

I emailed them, here is their answer:

Hi XXXX,

Unfortunately, the Registrar's Office does not provide detailed information regarding grade conversion from external institutions and the same situation applies for all applicants who are not from the University of Alberta.

Regards,

XXXXX

I am not sure how do they expect students two apply, not knowing which conversion scale to use? They are not following OMSAS. Thanks for your reply.

I emailed them, here is their answer:

Hi XXXX,

Unfortunately, the Registrar's Office does not provide detailed information regarding grade conversion from external institutions and the same situation applies for all applicants who are not from the University of Alberta.

Regards,

XXXXX

I am not sure how do they expect students two apply, not knowing which conversion scale to use? They are not following OMSAS. Thanks for your reply.

Hmm, I'm guessing based on some other ppl on the forum and what I saw on their site that we can use their scale to convert our letter grades to GPA, might not be right though. I'm just going to apply anyway.

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone knows the stats of the accepted applicants from the OOP 4th year pool?

I've seen that the 2 and 3 yr pool is crazy competitive, especially for OOP, so I'm just trying to gauge my chances for acceptance (not just interview).

I know not everything can be said from these stats, and will post activities if someone is willing to offer some advice. Thanks.

Will be completing my fourth year this year (done by april 25ish, so I think that puts me in the 4th yr applicant pool).

You have to ask?

Your chances are good if you don't bomb the interview / aren't just a numbers applicant.

You have to ask?

Your chances are good if you don't bomb the interview / aren't just a numbers applicant.

I think my EC's are reasonably good, some people here have some amazing stuff, but I know a lot of applicants that have hardly anything as well. I'll post some up as I go through my applications. And hopefully the interview will go well :)

Can I also ask, 4th year applicant, dropping lowest year and using U of A grade conversion, and with all required prerequisite courses, extra-curriculars, and NSERC research, do you think 3.94 GPA and 36Q (12 12 12 Q) MCAT stands a chance for OOP? Would much appreciate any feedback, thanks!

I'm OOP with lower GPA and MCAT and I got interviewed last cycle. I'm 99% sure you'll get interviewed if ECs and references are at least average.

Hi Starhivest, maybe u can help me out... New to this application stuff so just wondering what can be considered under The Diversity of Experience section?

Been asking ppl on the forum but zero response..... Also, ur not suppose to repeat an EC if u feel it falls under two sections right?

Thxs in advance

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

I am OOP as well and my stats aren't as good as everyone's here. I have 3.90 on the alberta scale and 34R on the MCATs.

My EC's include research (two different labs), starting a club on campus, part of many clubs, normal jobs, etc…

Do I have a shot?

I am OOP also. My stat is also not as great. My GPA is 3.96 and my MCAT is 32Q. Does it then depend heavily on how my score is for the ECs? Or do I not even have a shot since my MCAT is not good?

Thanks

LOL!!! 3.96 and you call that "not too great". Then, I have absolutely no chance at all with 3.94 and 34S.

I don't see anything wrong with 32 mcat...

Compared to what most ppl on here have been saying is standard for an OOP applicant, it's a little on the low side. People seem to have a lot of 34s and 35s applying for not that many seats.

I'd imagine it's fine, as long as it's balanced, since they have a 3.96 to go with it , but I see their concern. It's not that there is anything wrong with it, just that the poster is worried that it's not high enough. Nobody said it was a bad score, just maybe a little low for a very competitive OOP pool. They don't release OOP pool stats though, so we don't really know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I just noticed that my cumulative GPA on my online application was sitting at 3.83 (which is my OMSAS GPA, so before A=A+ and dropping of my worst year).

Assuming that U of Calgary has the same GPA calculation formula as U of A, my online GPA for U of C sits at 3.98 after adjustments.

Should I be concerned about how my GPA is currently being reflected in my U of A online application? Or is U of A totally different from Calgary in terms of adjusting GPA.

Thanks for any help!

does anyone know if the extremely high GPA averages for accepted OOP applicants applies to everyone equally, or do students with a MSc etc get any extra leeway in that regard (other than the extra "1 point" or whatever it is added to your final score...haven't applied previously so I don't know if thats being added to total file review score of 100 or some other number)

Hey there,

I think you should be sitting in a pretty good spot my friend. Those are impressive stats! I got accepted as a 3rd year OOP applicant with similar stats(4.0/36). Of course ECs come in to play, and of course the interview. I think my interview was a big factor for me; I didn't get interviewed at all the schools I applied to, but all the schools I interviewed at accepted me. I think you have a great shot at interview, but I recommend putting some work and serious thought into how you're gunna attack that interview. The interview at this point is the only thing in your control, so kill it!

Take care, L

Hey,

Archived