Premed 101 Forums

So I am an applicant from Alberta considering applying to the UoT and NOSM. I began filling out OMSAS application today and I discovered that although schools here in Alberta consider the grades you obtained during a transfer program from a college ( I attended this college in a city that UofA considered a rural community due to it being smaller than 50,000 people when I lived there for 23 years) that OMSAS does not as such... My GPA drops from 3.5 to 3.2. I do have a Masters degree, however I am wondering if with that significant of a drop in my GPA if it is even possible for me to be successful as an applicant at either of these schools. I am aware the UofT lowers the GPA consideration to 3.0 if you have a graduate degree however I do see that the GPA are still quite competitive in this pool. Please advise as to whether it is worth my money and time to continue to pursue either of these schools.

You're quite low on both gpa and mcat score, but as people here always say, it's worth a shot. You can learn a lot from enduring an admission cycle, maybe see it as a test run while you improve your stats. In general you have a moderate chance with a 30 mcat score and some gpa around 3.6-3.7 so if there's any way you can move yourself closer to that goal you'll have a better shot in the future. That's not to say that it's impossible as you are now, but just not likely.

Will OMSAS schools look at my actual transcripts or just base everything on the GPA generated by OMSAS online? As I said if they look at all my university level coursework which is the courses I also took at the college, not knowing I would be penalized for making a financial decision that was better for me at the time, my GPA is about 3.5. Not everyone can afford to take all there education at a university. Is it fair to penalize those of us who needed to take part of their program at a local college due to this fact?

Will OMSAS schools look at my actual transcripts or just base everything on the GPA generated by OMSAS online? As I said if they look at all my university level coursework which is the courses I also took at the college, not knowing I would be penalized for making a financial decision that was better for me at the time, my GPA is about 3.5. Not everyone can afford to take all there education at a university. Is it fair to penalize those of us who needed to take part of their program at a local college due to this fact?

Unfortunately the system is so competitive that there is really no room for these types of considerations.

I'm assuming you have a good amount of ECs in the small area you lived in, since you lived there for 23 years. If that's the case, you may have a shot at NOSM since they care a GREAT deal about applicants with rural backgrounds. I really don't see a chance at UT because your GPA is low, even though you're applying as a graduate student. Many applicants with stellar GPAs do posses graduate degrees because of a free year or 2 they get following their 1st rejection. So you won't really stand out. But I would still suggest you apply, because you never know what happens :)

Good luck :)

Fair or not, it is what it is and you embrace it if you want med school. There are so many things that different people deem as "unfair" - unfair that a much harder program is treated the same as an easier one, unfair that a higher but unbalanced MCAT will be rejected because it doesn't meet cutoffs when a lower, balanced one does, unfair that some universities only consider applicants who did their studies full time when many could only afford part time because they had to work...

It sucks in lots of ways but the current system really IS fair for the majority of applicants, but for that minority for whom it's not well I guess it's a bigger test to see if they really want med and are willing to do what is required to get it.

In any case good luck!

Archived