Premed 101 Forums

1st Year Elective

Guest smokeydx

Guest konverse

cheers for the link

i'm pretty sure tho that we would be able to do an elective in *whatever* we were interested in...? it would be just up to us to *set it up*... meaning talking to dept heads or profs or faculty members and getting all the details etc etc max out all opportunities etc etc

for example, a buddy of mine at uofc, (i know we're talking about uofa but for discussions sake), went to thailand to do a tropical medicine rotation... ended up doing some traveling after so it was like a 2-n-1 for him...

it's funny i don't really know what i'd be interested in yet but when the time comes who knows it may be like being in a candy factory!!

or i maybe i could just spend the summer watching TSN all day... oh shoot... the world cup was this year ;)

Guest summervirus

The 12-hour elective can be arranged in any area as long as someone is willing to take you as a student. In terms of international electives, that's probably best left to the summer time between 1st and 2nd year if you want to do one next year.

Guest summervirus

You will be given specific instructions later this year around Christmas time. The second year students do their electives in the first semester and the first year students in the second semester to avoid overwhelming the doctors with too many people. It makes sense too... after all, an elective isn't that much fun if you don't even know what's going on... so it's good to have some knowledge under your belt first.

There are two ways (as it will be formally explained to you later) on how to arrange these electives. There is a catalogue online of available electives to choose from. You can choose these and set them up based on availability. Alternatively, you can approach any doctor that you're interested in shadowing and ask them to fill out a form for you so that you'll be credited as doing an elective.

Archived