Premed 101 Forums

Residency in Toronto

damn, that's a shame. what are these tiers based on?

I think they are based on PAIRO? I think it's a known fact amongst most clerks that the best IM programs in Canada are Toronto and Mac, both of which have received the PAIRO residency program excellence award at least once (Mac got it in 2010, don't know about Toronto) . That being said, Ottawa's division of cardiology won it last year (2011).

Although I think it's more important to find a program that you like and that you fit into well.

"Known fact"? How exactly do PAIRO excellence awards determine the best programs across the country?

One program director described the Toronto program as somewhat apart from the others due to a fairly extreme focus on research/academics (to the point of awarding extra points for Nature or Science publications). So it isn't necessarily the same kind of clinical training that you might get elsewhere. Otherwise Mac is certainly very well regarded and the other Ontario programs are all good. Alberta and Calgary are very strong; other Prairies are good too. Dal and MUN are both pretty good. UBC is decent but has had some problems in recent years.

Don't know anything about Quebec programs.

They're based on nothing, there is no tier system, only people with big egos.

I agree that there is no tier system, at least not in Canada, but not all programs across the country are equally good. I think a lot of factors contribute to the overall quality of a program, such as resident happiness, research opportunities, learning environment etc.

"Known fact"? How exactly do PAIRO excellence awards determine the best programs across the country?

One program director described the Toronto program as somewhat apart from the others due to a fairly extreme focus on research/academics (to the point of awarding extra points for Nature or Science publications). So it isn't necessarily the same kind of clinical training that you might get elsewhere. Otherwise Mac is certainly very well regarded and the other Ontario programs are all good. Alberta and Calgary are very strong; other Prairies are good too. Dal and MUN are both pretty good. UBC is decent but has had some problems in recent years.

Don't know anything about Quebec programs.

I guess by "known fact" I meant to say that many people that I have spoken to acknowledge both the Toronto and Mac internal programs as being excellent. I also remember asking how programs are ranked and how one is to know a good program from a bad program, and was never really given a direct answer. I was told to go to different places for electives and find out for myself, but that PAIRO distinguishes some programs for their excellence.

Archived