Premed 101 Forums

Official Unveiling: 2012 Med Student Backpacks

That colour looks awesome! I was hoping for green, but I think I like this better!:D

It looks almost more red than burgandy (although, to be fair, I thought burgandy was a brown... or purple... actually, I have no idea wth colour burgandy is:o)!

I can't wait until the end of August for mine! :D

Burgundy is one of the colours those all-but-ubiquitous stackable plastic elementary school chairs came in (the other being navy)... at least that's how I remember it! Forever lodged in my mind.

VIR-9018.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mind the colour but that is just a really stupid looking backpack. It looks like my bag from grade 5 that I got from Walmart. Definitely never wearing that. That being said, is this all just a big joke where everyone pretends to be excited about this super hideous bag???

I feel like a big loser for puting down a defenseles bag but the anonyminity of the internet is too wonderful to pass up speaking my mind about this.

I don't mind the colour but that is just a really stupid looking backpack. It looks like my bag from grade 5 that I got from Walmart. Definitely never wearing that. That being said, is this all just a big joke where everyone pretends to be excited about this super hideous bag???

I feel like a big loser for puting down a defenseles bag but the anonyminity of the internet is too wonderful to pass up speaking my mind about this.

LOL I wrote a post like that somewhere else on the board too in another thread.... here I was just kidding with my comments. I too am never going to wear it and it will be making its way either to 1. my boyfriend's camping pile if he wants it or 2. I just won't take one

LOL I wrote a post like that somewhere else on the board too in another thread.... here I was just kidding with my comments. I too am never going to wear it and it will be making its way either to 1. my boyfriend's camping pile if he wants it or 2. I just won't take one

:o :O take one and give it to me pleaseee? I get the feeling i'll destroy the one i get in some tragic accident

1) You can only get this bag if you are a med student making it a symbol of the accomplishment.

2) Students wear theirs every where they go as a flag to other med students from all years. It is like being in a club, with its own hardships and trials and only people who have been through it or are going through it can truely relate to what it took to get there and through it.

3) You will never be able to make a bag that appeals to everyone and who cares what it looks like, most things in medicine are function over form and this things is designed to be a tool through the experience not a fashion accessory for a Friday night at the meat market.

4) It is free, thanks to MD management, who you will learn are a very valuable resource to med students and practicing physicians.

I hate to sound like a shill, and I know everyone wants to be a non-conformist which requires ragging on everything the herd does, but seriously, who looks a gift horse in the mouth?

Well said. And to answer your question, perhaps a sasquatch looks a gift horse in the mouth :D

I sometimes feel like a goof wearing the same backpack as everyone else, but it was free. I didn't have a backpack prior to med school. It is also very well designed. Why spent 50 bucks when you don't have to?

I plan to retire it either during clerkship or in residency. I will get a side bag/briefcase of sorts.

It does give you that sense of "belonging". I guess some people really like that. I can't fault them for it.

Luckily I am pretty sure they have a lifetime warranty - MD financial will repair them if they break.

The stitching on my bag has resulted in the zipper coming off and a big hole being omnipresent in my bag which is now 3 years old. Does anyone actually know about getting it repaired? Is there actually a lifetime warranty?

The stitching on my bag has resulted in the zipper coming off and a big hole being omnipresent in my bag which is now 3 years old. Does anyone actually know about getting it repaired? Is there actually a lifetime warranty?

Rocky222 if you send me an email I can get that fixed for you. The bags do have a great warranty on them.

You can reach me @ casey.cleland@cma.ca.

3) You will never be able to make a bag that appeals to everyone and who cares what it looks like, most things in medicine are function over form and this things is designed to be a tool through the experience not a fashion accessory for a Friday night at the meat market.

By far my favorite line of this post. Well said.

• 4 weeks later...
I feel like the 2014s were robbed by getting a drab and sullen grey.

Umm I like my backpack! I prefer to think of grey as a distinguished colour :D

Also, people generally seem to be happy with the colour. I remember hearing some grumblings about the olive green backpacks of the 2012s.

Archived