Premed 101 Forums

How did you prepare for the DAT?

Hi, I'm going to be writing the DAT this November and unfortunately I have to study for it with my summer courses and fall courses together. People have told me that the material is not difficult itself and it's all review, but I'd like to know how long people who got in spent studying for it and what was the most effective way for you?

Hi, I'm going to be writing the DAT this November and unfortunately I have to study for it with my summer courses and fall courses together. People have told me that the material is not difficult itself and it's all review, but I'd like to know how long people who got in spent studying for it and what was the most effective way for you?

I studied the whole summer for my MCAT on Sept 2nd. Late Sept I signed up for DAT and started staying for it. I just used Kaplan's blue book and it's practice questions online as well as the DAT manual. I used MCAT books too, though MCAT bio is definitely not enough, nor is Kaplan's blue book.I had to guess some stuff on the test and use some of my general knowledge from university. I also signed up with predds.info for some PAT problems.

For RC, I used a software called EyeQ to help me read and comprehend very very fast. I recommend it to everyone it was amazing. Studying for VR on MCAT using Kaplan and ExamCrackers helped too.

Considering that I just had less than a month to study and all other applications for different schools, I think I did just ok.

Did you have your regular university courses along with DAT prep?

I'm taking summer courses right now so I'll be starting the Kaplan course in late August. I'm thinking of taking a lighter course load in the fall so I can prepare for the DAT better.

I didn't take the Kaplan course for DAT. Frankly I don't even know whether their course is for American DAT to Canadian DAT.

I did take Kaplan MCAT course, but then again I realized I could have studied myself had I just gotten their material.

Instructors in Kaplan classes did not help me as much, because they typically just read over their course manual, which is an extended explanation of the books.

As for courses that I took in university, Cell bio, and general chemistry helped a bit. If you have taken some physiology, and ecology I suppose it could help you depending on the specific course. Personally, I just crammed the h*** out of the animal physiology and plant section of the Kaplan blue book before exam. In fact I thought I wasn't prepared at all, because I did not know some of the species names and what not.

I'de say try to study the general material until your DAT, then a couple of days left to the actual test, try to cram all the specific names as much as possible. It's useless information after DAT anyway, if you don't want to become a zoologist.

I took the Kaplan course. Just use the books they provide, keep up on the homework and make sure you do the online material. I did most of my studying in September (wrote November of 2nd year) so that I wouldn't be bogged down during midterm season. Just make sure going into the first week of November (ie. the last week or two of October), you review the material. I found the most effective method was to break the science material down to fifths and do a fifth a day through the week then PAT/MD/RC on weekends through October, rinse and repeat every week. Overall, its nothing too shocking as long as you stay on top of the studying and prepare your stamina by doing a few practice tests leading up to the actual date. (as a note, I only had to write once using only the Kaplan books provided for the course and my first year Chemistry notes).

Hope this helps.

A friend of mine is taking the Kaplan classes right now and she feels that the instructors aren’t that helpful either. Haha! The funny thing is, I’m probably the most confident about any ecology on it because I was doing an Ecology/Evolution major but I decided to opt out of it for a general Biology major.

I’m just a bit worried about taking the prep course along with my university courses.

But I think I can handle it as long as I follow a fixed schedule.

Thank you!

IMO The Kaplan course is unnecessary. I would skip it and save the 1200 bucks. My AA and PAT scores were 99th percentile and I never took the course. As long as you start well in advance and you're diligent about studying, you should have no problem. The only time I would suggest the course is if someone was a procrastinator or was easily distractable.

Archived