Premed 101 Forums

Miscellaneous Information and Updates!

Guest konverse

Guest konverse

greetings guys and gals :hat

whazzzup

hope everyone is doing well.

so i thought i'd start this little fun <read: geeky> "update" thread to keep us all abreast of what kind of things are happening wrt well, uh... everything uofa med (admissions news, registration procedures, loans/LOC, other miscellaneous tidbits etc)!

for me personally, i've got to get a lot of things going between now and aug 28th, but i'm really looking forward to it! :smokin

anyway, so i spoke with andrea today. they received my confirmation of admission letter (phew!) that i had sent via XpressPost last friday... i was just stressing out because for some reason everytime i entered the tracking number online, canadapost kept on saying "no records found". it was also funny cuz the guy at the post office when i went to ask kept on saying "don't panic don't panic it'll get there". hehe major stress lemme tell ya. :)

but all is well as it has been received. now i just gotta do what i can to keep at least $1000 in my bank account ;) .

for those that are wondering about when the orientation/registrations packages will be sent out, esp for those that have recently been accepted off of the waitlist:

a lady by the name of priscilla is responsible for taking care of this, however she is currently on summer vacation. she is to be back in two weeks and so we should keep our eyes out for this mid July-ish. also no worries about registering early/late, it don't matter, if you've been accepted, there will be a spot for you!

so that's the news for this crazy hot june 27th. also andrea, says to everyone to have a great summer! nice one! :rollin

let's keep this thread alive, peeps.

u all know what to do! :D

i had the exact same problem with xpresspost...

i just got so frustrated with the stupid tracking number that i faxed a copy... only to find out the letter arrived earlier that day...

apparently they only update the website with the number on the day that it's actually delivered.. pretty pointless to have a tracking number if you ask me...

good info about the info packages though...

now it's time to start looking for housing...

Guest smokeydx

Hey Guys,

I live relatively close to the University. But I have to work so I had my girlfriend hand in my confirmation of admission.

Thank Konverse, I've been checking my mailbox for the last two days expecting the information package. Now at least I know approximately when to expect it. I was going to wait until I received the package to register for classes...

I've just been busy with planning out how I'm supposed to pay for this education. Just applied for Student Loans and the amount I've been assessed for seems rather low. So going to look into LOC as well. Sigh, just what I need more debt.

Thinking of buying a used car... but shopping for one is such a pain. All the nice cars I want are RWD >.< but Alberta and its winters won't allow me to have one.

Aside from that also doing some last minute things at work before I quit in August and road trip it to San Franscico =D

Cheers,

Guest CD4CD25

Hey you guys,

Some of us ezboarders from last year arranged to meet for dinner at Earls before orientation week. It was a great idea--I met my closest friends in my class at that dinner! I would strongly recommend that you guys organize something.

Also, here are a few pointers that helped us out last year:

the INTD course: register for the afternoon session as soon as you can, as their is an evening session which many people get stuck with. The rest of the courses don't matter, as there are enough spots for everyone.

Don't worry about buying any textbooks for September. You will get a course pack for intro block, which is more than enough. People will send out emails with books for sale at good prices as well, once you have a class list-serv.

There will be a stethoscope sale sometime in the fall, at much cheaper prices than the bookstore.

You should receive a really nice backpack during o-week, so don't worry about that either. Ours even has a laptop sleeve! Very comfortable, and an on campus 'identifier' as a U of A med student.

I guess that's it. :) CD4CD25

Guest MDmmmsure

Hi CD4CD25,

Nice to see you back on here....I would just like to agree with CD4CD25 on holding a meeting before the "BIG DAY"....it's really great to know a few ppl before starting, and helps to ease the anxiety of the first day!!!! If you guys/gals have any questions, don't be afraid to ask!

Cheers

MDmmmsure

Guest ComplacentTragedy

Let's play "Guess the Screenname" on the day of orientation...

"YOU! Uh... You're Complacent Tragedy."

"Uh, sorry, that's my screenname... you're talking to a tree."

"Oh."

"Yeah, same personality."

We should all go to Earls after the first day of Orientation. It's close, it's familiar, and well, I don't know how to get anywhere else.

All okay with that?

Guest konverse

lol

yanno what's funny

CD4CD25 in their post specifically said that we should go to earls for dinner BEFORE orientation week, and then comes complacent suggesting that we go AFTER... :lol

it's all about listening to those that did it before us, huh? ;)

how's this for an idea...

let's go to earls before AND after orientation! yay! i'm a master negotiator! also why that is an excellent idea is because i'm a big fan of their albino rhino honey lager... :hat

but yah putting screen names to faces will be kinda freaky, but interesting. 8o

cd4 -- thanks for the tips. re: backpack -- i had initially thought of buying a combo laptop/book bag, maybe from MEC or online some place, would you recommend holding off?

smokey -- what kind of wheels are u looking at? yah RWD would mos def be slip-n-slide come winter... but FUN. it's donut time baby!

Guest CD4CD25

Konverse--definitely hold off on buying a backpack.

Trust me, you should meet BEFORE O-week. Last year, there were all of the second years plus the first years in the Snell Hall foyer, which is more than 250 people! I remember seeking out those familiar faces while I was there, and it was *really* nice to know some people to sit with, do small group stuff with, etc.

:) CD4CD25

Guest smurfette99

I think it would be great to meet up before orientation - it would be nice to see some familiar faces on the first day :)

And I looooooooove Earls. :P

Guest Fizz29

I'd be up for drinks before Orientation too. I'm a big fan of Earl's margaritas...nothing like a little tequila to brighten the day :)

Guest smokeydx

Hey guys,

I'm in for Earl's, just give me the date and time. I'll be there. I've been like a hermit for the past year, it would be nice to meet some new people.

Beer =p~~~~~

Cheers,

P.S. Konverse... Mazda RX7... RX7 sigh...

sweet... good chance to meet some people...

any out-of-towners comign in? i'm coming all the way from ontario... thinking of moving down 4 or 5 days in advance just to get a hang of the area and what not...

Guest ComplacentTragedy

Konverse: I'm Oriental, I can't read English. So Earls BEFORE sounds good. That's what, the 27th? At like, um, 6PM??

ap0x: I'm a Sask boy... small town called 'Regina' so we won't be the only outsiders.. in fact, aren't there 17 of us in total or something???

I better go find a good mingling t-shirt... Hawaiian shirts are still cool?

i did take grade 9 geography... haha..

i'm from a small town called 'TORONTO'

on a totally different topic... how many of us are asian?

Guest konverse

u asian kids

go back to your country!!!!!!!!!!

hehehhehhehe i'm completeleyly and utterly joking

do not take that for real ;) hehehehehhehe

that's what a few drinks (read: 10 or so) will do to the system

hip hip hoooraay

hip hip fridaayyy <nite>

aw man gotta work tmrw morn 9am

peace!!!!!!!!!

ps. i did ssay vagina

come on england!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest ComplacentTragedy

Can I be black? Maybe then I won't have to keep saying size doesn't matter...

Oh and zing! I don't even drink and I make racial slurs sound like the Million Man March.

Yeah, well Toronto rhymes with stupid. Face. Hogtown, uh, Poopbrown. Yeah. Med 2010.

Guest slypimpdip

Hah, I love how this topic all of a sudden turned into race wars!

Well I'm asian too, but East Indian. For some reason we don't consider that to be "asian" as we think of it though...

Oh well, everyone likes a little bit of milk chocolate...

Guest muchdutch
Well I'm asian too, but East Indian. For some reason we don't consider that to be "asian" as we think of it though...

haha! this always reminds me of Russell Peters when he says, "when everybody thinks of asians they always think ' ber ner ner ner ner ner na na na' (sung in stereotypical aisan tune - help me out, anybody?) but we Indians are considered asians too". Then he goes into that hilarious bit about which asians chose what distinguishing feature when they were being doled out. HA! He kills me!:rollin :rollin

sorry. back to the topic...

Archived