Premed 101 Forums

PEI Considerations?

Would anyone know how NOSM would consider PEI with respect to context scores?

It has a very small population (~130,000) and it's two largest cities Charlottetown and Summerside are comprised of approximately 35,000 and 20,000 people respectively.

I love PEI and would still be there if it wasn't for the lack of opportunity with regards to employment.

I searched the forum but couldnt find anything about PEI and NOSM.

If you look at the class stats from the past few years 6% (~4 people) have been from rural areas other than northern Ontario. I would imagine PEI with it's small population would be considered in that group, but still few people other than NOs are admitted. Worth a shot, IMO, if the other areas of your application are strong (esp. if you have aborigional volunteer/work experience). Remember interview is 50% of the admissions score, so a weaker context score can more than be made up for by a stellar interview.

I was recently accepted to NOSM medical class for 2012, but have since deferred until september 2013 to complete my Ph.D. I am from PEI (stratford), so yes, they do except students from PEI and do recognize PEI as being majority rural. I recommend contacting NOSM admissions and getting them to answer your question directly.

good luck

Archived