Premed 101 Forums

Thesis defense deadline

I am planning on applying to a 1-year, course-based master program this year after I finish my undergrad degree and am hoping to apply to UWO for the 2014 cycle and I just had one question about thesis defense deadline.

It says that "graduate students are required to have completed all course requirements for their degree. Their thesis (if required) must be submitted for defense to their examination committee prior to registration in the medical program."

Although it is a course-based master, after completing all the courses in Sep-Apr, I have to complete and defend a research project by the end of August. So I was just wondering by "prior to registration in the medical program", does this mean I just have to defend by the start of the program (so late August before the O week and white coat ceremony) or is it before the admissions are given out (in May/June)? I've heard that some universities have a deadline for masters thesis defense in early June and I am wondering if this is the case for UWO.

Thank you so much in advance.

Hi there,

I'm currently finishing up a course-based master's. When you get your acceptance letter, your advisor will be required to submit a letter stating that you will have all your requirements completed before you would start medical school. So you would have to finish before the White Coat ceremony.

I hope this is helpful :)

I just have a small question, for the course-based master, is it offered by all faculties on campus (science, health sci)

Not at all. Many of the science fields do not offer it i.e. Medical Biophysics. It seems to be a more social science kind of thing.

Also, Boto: some people I know actually couldn't defend before school started i.e. couldn't get their defence committee all on one day so they started medical school and defended a few months in (but thats when you are in "thesis defence only" status as a student.... i.e. you submitted your thesis and are just waiting to defend.

Yeah, your acceptance is conditional on you finishing your master's stuff. It's supposed to be all said and done before you start med school, but it has been lenient in the past.

Thank you for the reply, zergling :)

Not at all. Many of the science fields do not offer it i.e. Medical Biophysics. It seems to be a more social science kind of thing.

Also, Boto: some people I know actually couldn't defend before school started i.e. couldn't get their defence committee all on one day so they started medical school and defended a few months in (but thats when you are in "thesis defence only" status as a student.... i.e. you submitted your thesis and are just waiting to defend.

Thank you for your reply, lost_in_space :)

I am hoping to do my masters with a supervisor whom I worked for for the past 2 summers, which will hopefully allow me to start the research project early on so that I can finish by the end of August. But it's relieving to know that the defense can be done later on :P

Archived