Premed 101 Forums

LOC insurance

Hi,

I was just wondering what people generally do in terms of insurance for there LOC. I dont think I would need life insurance since I am single without kids but I was wondering about disability insurance in case for medical reasons I couldn't finish medical school.

Thanks

Scotia has the option to buy into life, disability and/or critical illness insurance. Your monthly premium adjusts to the amount owing on your line of credit so that in the event of illness or death your LOC would be payed off in full. If your LOC is your only form of debt and you are covered somehow for funeral expenses, other arrangements etc it may be an economically sensible idea

Don't you need that if you have a spouse? I don't want to stick my partner with my LOC debt if i kick the bucket.

Unless a debt is jointly held, a spouse is not responsible for the debt of a deceased spouse. However, the creditor can come after assets of the deceased debtor, with a few exclusions, even if those assets are being used by the surviving spouse (eg. If I bought a car under my name only, it could be seized in the event of my death if I had outstanding debts.) So it is a very good idea to have insurance on large liabilities like this if you have a spouse, dependents, or any assets you wish to bequeath to anyone.

Unless a debt is jointly held, a spouse is not responsible for the debt of a deceased spouse. However, the creditor can come after assets of the deceased debtor, with a few exclusions, even if those assets are being used by the surviving spouse (eg. If I bought a car under my name only, it could be seized in the event of my death if I had outstanding debts.) So it is a very good idea to have insurance on large liabilities like this if you have a spouse, dependents, or any assets you wish to bequeath to anyone.

I have to protect my PS3 and Xbox360 so he can use it in case of my death :-) Also, I know some schools won't release to you bursaries unless you have proof of life insurance...

Archived