Premed 101 Forums

Kinesiology vs. Nutrition at York U

Anyone that has taken these could you give any insight to the possible pros and cons of each.

I'm just wondering as I may have to do a second degree, to keep my med school dreams alive, depending on how I do in my 4th year this coming year.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The only universities in Ontario that offer nutrition programs that are accredited by the Dietitians of Canada are Guelph, Ryerson, and Western (Brescia). Other Ontario universities have nutrition programs, but they are not accredited by the Dietitians of Canada, and so do not allow the graduates to apply for dietetic internships (required to become a registered dietitian). U of T, for example, has a nutrition program, but it is not accredited, so graduates cannot become registered dietitians (unless they complete an accredited program afterwards).

The only universities in Ontario that offer nutrition programs that are accredited by the Dietitians of Canada are Guelph, Ryerson, and Western (Brescia). Other Ontario universities have nutrition programs, but they are not accredited by the Dietitians of Canada, and so do not allow the graduates to apply for dietetic internships (required to become a registered dietitian). U of T, for example, has a nutrition program, but it is not accredited, so graduates cannot become registered dietitians (unless they complete an accredited program afterwards).

You forgot Ottawa U?

In fact, Ottawa U is the only Ontario program that is fully integrated with an internship spot.

Ohh lol at me. I think I got confused with another program at York as an option for a 2nd degree, just in case I somehow manage to screw up this year.

I personally would recommend nutrition at Ryerson IF that's honestly an interest for you.

Registration for their program is closed for this year but if you're enrolled in Kin at York you can take some courses to get you up to speed for nutrition at Ryerson which *should* be transferable. Chem, organic chem, physiology 1 and 2 which are all first year courses.

The next two biggies are biochem 1 and 2 as well as a stats course are the year 2 biggie.

Just some info for ya.

I personally would recommend nutrition at Ryerson IF that's honestly an interest for you.

Registration for their program is closed for this year but if you're enrolled in Kin at York you can take some courses to get you up to speed for nutrition at Ryerson which *should* be transferable. Chem, organic chem, physiology 1 and 2 which are all first year courses.

The next two biggies are biochem 1 and 2 as well as a stats course are the year 2 biggie.

Just some info for ya.

Nutrition at Ryerson is easier? For chem and organic chem, I already have those completed so would they most likely be transferable?

Nutrition at Ryerson is easier? For chem and organic chem, I already have those completed so would they most likely be transferable?

Never said it was easier. But there is a definite job opportunity once you are done school should mess not workout or be a delayed process for you.

In terms of transfer credits, each school is different and you don't know what they will accept until you actually apply.

Archived