Premed 101 Forums

Is it wise to buy a car with LOC?

Seriously? A car with LOC? I am still trying to figure out how to spend my LOC as less as possible and maybe evening trying to pay some back as school goes along.... The interest build up is crazy. What's the average debt that med students accumulate then after med school? (including government loans and LOCs)

Remember to consider what owning a car does to your Osap eligibility. It's a big deal.

Btw my family would tell you the '10 Hyundai we have is the worst piece of crap we've ever owned. Currently in process of unloading it so please do keep singing their praises lol.

Learn? I'd hate to have to take a cab to do everything and it gets expensive i.e. $20 cab ride would be $20 gas I'd have to do a crapload of errands with....plus why wouldn't you want your own car to go anywhere you please whenever you please? I don't want to rely on anyone else to get me from point a to b when I need to get there stat.

Because my eyes are not powerful enough for driving...

Repair costs + insurance + fuel + parking costs + regular check-ups + the odd vomit clean-up >>> taxi cost

Right, but who wants to blow a $100 on taxi rides doing multiple errands and have to keep calling the taxi over and over? Like I had to go from the health unit, to the police station, back to the health unit, then to the clinic one day and I'd have to call a taxi each time I did. And that's just one day...I do days like that often. It's just so much more convenient to have my own car and I'd be blowing a lot of money on taxis if I didn't.

If you buy a reasonable car (say $6000), insurance isn't that expensive if you have a multi-car household and can bundle with home and life, fuel is around $50/tank, you can do work on your car yourself (I do almost everything on my car myself) and Groupons can have your car detailed fully (i.e. a SIX hour detailing for $100). Parking can be expensive indeed but you can often figure out an affordable solution or free if you are crafty i.e. I'd park at an apartment building close to campus and walk for free.

I got my learners on my 16th birthday. There's just no way that I can afford NOT to drive. Plus I'm regularly between London and Toronto..... that's a ridiculous taxi cab fare (yes you can take Greyhound etc. but I need to be there on a moments notice sometimes)...

Not having a car can work for some people but I see it as a necessity...plus it's just fun to drive around in your car...

Right, but who wants to blow a $100 on taxi rides doing multiple errands and have to keep calling the taxi over and over? Like I had to go from the health unit, to the police station, back to the health unit, then to the clinic one day and I'd have to call a taxi each time I did. And that's just one day...I do days like that often. It's just so much more convenient to have my own car and I'd be blowing a lot of money on taxis if I didn't.

If you buy a reasonable car (say $6000), insurance isn't that expensive if you have a multi-car household and can bundle with home and life, fuel is around $50/tank, you can do work on your car yourself (I do almost everything on my car myself) and Groupons can have your car detailed fully (i.e. a SIX hour detailing for $100). Parking can be expensive indeed but you can often figure out an affordable solution or free if you are crafty i.e. I'd park at an apartment building close to campus and walk for free.

I got my learners on my 16th birthday. There's just no way that I can afford NOT to drive. Plus I'm regularly between London and Toronto..... that's a ridiculous taxi cab fare (yes you can take Greyhound etc. but I need to be there on a moments notice sometimes)...

Not having a car can work for some people but I see it as a necessity...plus it's just fun to drive around in your car...

I agree with you about having a car makes you free. You can take your own car and go wherever you want anytime you want. Also, a car is worth the expenses (especially for med students who need to travel a lot and who have $$$).

But unless there's something that can allow me to see from far (my glasses aren't enough), I'm ineligible to drive.

Repair costs + insurance + fuel + parking costs + regular check-ups + the odd vomit clean-up >>> taxi cost

ha :) yeah - it is just that people don't like to small small amounts it seems over time rather than a monthly cost.

Insurance is what 2500 a year? The cost of even an old car is 5K+ and won't last forever. Maintenance, repairs, parking, fuel....... it all adds up of course. That and during elective time you paying for a vehicle you may not have access to (I am not driving to UBC for my electives for instance - I am all over the country). Finally my residency could be anywhere in the country as well and I don't have to have to drive (or sell at a loss) a car during that process.

So far this year I spent less than 1000 dollars on cabs (I know, I track it and that includes cabs when I wouldn't want to use my car). That probably under 1/3 of the car cost easily. Now you do have remove on the LOC, you can have the convince of a car etc but to think it is required is a bit of stretch.

oh that is the fun factor - valid reason :) You just accept the extra cost because you want the convenience. If you go outside of the city a lot that is another thing. Of course most clerks during clerkship don't travel that much, we are kind of pinned down.

Oh if I ever had a day like the only you are suggesting I rent a car for 60 dollars. Still overall costs less.

ha :) yeah - it is just that people don't like to small small amounts it seems over time rather than a monthly cost.

Insurance is what 2500 a year? The cost of even an old car is 5K+ and won't last forever. Maintenance, repairs, parking, fuel....... it all adds up of course. That and during elective time you paying for a vehicle you may not have access to (I am not driving to UBC for my electives for instance - I am all over the country). Finally my residency could be anywhere in the country as well and I don't have to have to drive (or sell at a loss) a car during that process.

So far this year I spent less than 1000 dollars on cabs (I know, I track it and that includes cabs when I wouldn't want to use my car). That probably under 1/3 of the car cost easily. Now you do have remove on the LOC, you can have the convince of a car etc but to think it is required is a bit of stretch.

What about flexibility with cabs?

Maybe you're right. I'd ADORE it if I didn't have to deal with a car but at the same time one of the 2014s told me that if you don't have a car you inevitably wind up bumming rides and everyone hates you.

I never do that - I just take a cab, have almost all of my placements within walking distance of my house and those that are not are ones that start at 8:30/9:00 (family, psych) and just bus there. Now I actually went out of my way to set this up - but I generally plan quite a bit ahead.

Again I am not saying don't get a car but this idea you cannot live without one in clerkship is overdone.

I never do that - I just take a cab, have almost all of my placements within walking distance of my house and those that are not are ones that start at 8:30/9:00 (family, psych) and just bus there. Now I actually went out of my way to set this up - but I generally plan quite a bit ahead.

Again I am not saying don't get a car but this idea you cannot live without one in clerkship is overdone.

Good, because from this forum, I was under the impression that I would most likely fail clerkship because I can't drive (if I get into med school).

Good, because from this forum, I was under the impression that I would most likely fail clerkship because I can't drive (if I get into med school).

nope :) Just not true. Actually there at least 3 others that I know of that cannot drive (actually do not have a licence and do not qualify for one).

What about flexibility with cabs?

What about it? I had one regularly scheduled to pick me up in the morning when I wanted on and I work of course at the hospital - there is a line of them outside the front door 24/7. Heck I am home usually before friends of mine are even able to get out of the parking lot often :) Major bus routes also go by both hospitals (which I take depends on how lazy I feel that day)

how do you .. get groceries or bigger stuff like furniture?

Well I rent a furnished room anyway - but any furniture I want I simply have delivered. It isn't like a couch would fit in a typical car anyway :)

I happen to live by a grocery store, have a bike and of course if needed can simply take a cab for that as well. I guess my main point is I can get around via taxi personally by a wide margin for much cheaper and often faster than a car. Ha I even study while being driven around

Archived