Premed 101 Forums

Do Med Schools Actually Look at Your Facebook?

I was recently reading a thread on SDN with the same title and there were a few mixed opinions.

The question asked was do medical schools actually look up your Facebook in order to get a better feel of their potential students.

I personally feel that Med schools should be able to use whatever resources are available to see what kind of students that they might be accepting.

Or just make your account private ;)

I personally wouldn't care. I mean hello....its 2012. If you DONT know by now that you shouldnt have really 'scandalous' pictures as your profile picture....then you kinda gots it coming for you :P Especially if you want to go into a professional career. I mean its not even necessary. If you REALLY want to have pics like that on your facebook then upload them into a private album only your friends can see!

But to answer the question....no I don't think they would. Theres just wayyyy too many candidates to go through and its not worth their time.

But you can sure bet that employers check :P I was helping my last coop placement manager hire students for the next term and she asked me to help her look over facebook profiles of the 10 people she had picked to interview. 2 of them got tossed cause they were girls with the oh so classy duck face and boobs sticking out taken in the oh so classy style of the cellphone-pic-in-bathroom. My manager said that they dont 'fit' into the office atmosphere. Its unfortunate that you could get judged based on that and get passed on good job opportunities but this is the world we live in! Might as well prep for it :P

Interesting..alot of the times we focus on the negatives of facebook. I wouldn't mind snooping on facebook. Most of my stuff is private, and what is public is relatively professional. A nice display picture ;) and a nice cover photo of a hobby im really into...atleast if they snooped that they could see that im really into it.

I don't know about Facebook, but I know that the adcom checks this site and have been able to pinpoint a username to a candidate before.

lol what?

I don't think they can use anything they find on the internet about the applicant as part of their evaluations.. I don't think it would be ethical to the applicant.

did the applicant you speak of get accepted or not?

I have been in employment situations where I've seen people fired over posting things on Facebook and I've heard often enough from people in hiring positions that they check. It's pretty widely known that many employers check now.

While I do not use my legal first name online, because even offline no one calls me by it, it'd be fairly easy for anyone to pick me out in my blog or on here just knowing a few basic details about my life.

Can't say whether adcoms look at Facebook for all applicants (I doubt it, but I could see them doing it for interviewees) but it's simply a matter of common sense these days to be cautious about your online activity, particularly anything directly attached to your name.

I don't know about Facebook, but I know that the adcom checks this site and have been able to pinpoint a username to a candidate before.

That's very interesting.

Oh and I keep hearing people talk about adcoms, what are they? :P I assumed that they are just people on the admissions committee but I wasn't too sure :P

The idea is preposterous. What kind of information could they glean objectively? The systematic bias would be staggering, not to mention the resources and time they would need to waste doing this without any objective way of evaluating it or correlating it with medical outcomes.

Evaluations of ECs are bad enough as they are. This shouldn't even be on the table for discussion IMO. It shouldn't ever happen.

The moment faculties started doing it, people would just censor their profiles anyway and fill them with false garbage. Aside from this filtering out maybe straight up morons that are dumb enough to have pictures of themselves doing illegal and outlandish things on facebook, I don't see how it could even be useful (and there are plenty of idiot safeguards in place already).

What, are they going to have a bunch of folk sit around a table and discuss what they see? "Ah yes, as we can see here Johnny has a strong propensity for binge drinking, especially out of funnels and other assorted gadgets." "Well, that should make him right at home with the rest of the medical students!"

It's probably pretty easy to guess who some posters are for the adcom / faculty...

*cough* Rmorelan *cough*

Heeeeyyyyyy wait a minute :)

I am just a student at western - I am not even one of the admission reps. I do work with the admins a lot (I am the president of the student council) but not anything like that.

Joke of the day. Thank you :D

On the not funny side though, some people may actually take this seriously and stop posting their stats on this forum.

I am just a student at western - I am not even one of the admission reps. I do work with the admins a lot (I am the president of the student council) but not anything like that.

No you misunderstand, one of the posters before said the adcom has found out who posts here in real life. I am merely saying it would be easy for the adcom to find out who YOU are in real life :) (because I found out who you are in real life easily myself!!)

So, I always noticed the "Major tom.. thing on your posts, but were you actually one of the writers for the movie Ground Control?

So, I always noticed the "Major tom.. thing on your posts, but were you actually one of the writers for the movie Ground Control?

rmorelan is David Bowie and he knows about that bad thing you did and hope nobody finds out about. Good thing you didn't post it on facebook, though.

Archived