Premed 101 Forums

Masters vs 5th year undergrad courses

HI guys, just wanted to see if people here could give me some advice on this matter. I am interested in dental school, my GPA is about 3.83 after my 4 year undergrad taking my top 3 years.

Now for next year, I wanted to do a masters, as it boosts your gpa a bit, you make a bit of cash (not a big deal) and perhaps it looks good on an application. But it would take at least 3 years to get in, 2 for the masters, 1 year for the wait after masters is completed.

Now over the last few weeks, I thought about doing a 5th year of undergrad courses. This would of course bump up your gpa, say if you get 3.9 for this new year, would only take 2 years to get into a school, 1 year for the wait after the year of courses is complete.

Has anyone thought of this or weighed the pros and cons? Any advice would be great!

You can apply for dental school in the year leading up to the conclusion of your MSc. You'd still get the "boost" as long as you had a letter from your PI, I believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of people even defend after they're accepted to med/dental school.

You can apply for dental school in the year leading up to the conclusion of your MSc. You'd still get the "boost" as long as you had a letter from your PI, I believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of people even defend after they're accepted to med/dental school.

I applied to medical school before I defended, and defended during the time it took to interview and accept me.

Medical schools for grad students will offer you a conditional offer (i.e. defend before school starts) or if you can't get together your defence committee in time, you can defend during school if you show evidence that you have your thesis complete and are awaiting defence.

Are you referring to some sort of an unofficial advantage by doing a masters?

btw, I believe as long as you have satisfied the requirements of your graduate program by the start of the med/dent classes, you should be fine.

It's not an unofficial boost, many schools (ie. UWO) openly admit that graduate students receive an advantage. I would advise you to consider and weigh each option depending on your current needs. It seems your GPA is fairly competitive and you should get interviews at some schools. If you're confident that you want to persue a career in dentistry, the 5th year is probably your best option as long as you're confident in your DAT scores and interview abilities. This is because it will allow yOu to apply next year rather than wait through your masters. If you're not as confident in your application and are open to the possibility of alternate careers (or would like a safety net to fall on) go through the masters as it will benefit your application and give you an opportunity in research. A hybrid option would be to complete a 1 year Masters course-based program. You'll receive the benefit of having a Masters for dental school as well as save time. I'd caution however that should you choose a career in research, this option may not be the best. Finally, having a Masters does not boost your GPA. This is a common misconception. Most speculation seems to point to graduate students being considers separately. The only school that officially reveals the benefit and how it is applied is UWO. At UWO, the completion of an Honors or graduate degree lead to 'bonus percent' on your APPLICANT SCORE (a weighted percentage based on GPA, DAT and interview scores).

Hope this helps.

Hey, do you mean 5-15% bump on your application overall or is that how much they bump your GPA by? Thanks!

Ok thank you all for the reply, i called UofT and they said a master's degree can give from 5-15% depending on where/what the masters is in

your gpa is near the 'cut-off' but it is still a bit low. However, I think your grades are still good enough that you shouldn't waste your time doing a fifth year. There are 1 year masters programs out there so I'd suggest you do a masters. You can develop much more critical thinking skills that will help you in the long way (compared to undegrad), and of course schools acknowledge that by giving you extra points. Plus, you'll be making some money to get by which is definitely helpful. :)

??

Is this a joke? I didn't say I called today, it was on Friday...

Lol sorry, with your first post I thought that you had no idea before and suddenly had come up with a figure. There's a lot of misinformation on these boards. :) Good to know then.

Hey, do you mean 5-15% bump on your application overall or is that how much they bump your GPA by? Thanks!

UT goes by GPA not % as far as I know. I have no idea what OP is referring to. I'm also unaware of a pre-interview formula for UT.

UT goes by GPA not % as far as I know. I have no idea what OP is referring to. I'm also unaware of a pre-interview formula for UT.

I didn't think they did as well, but now it makes sense, either Western or Toronto does % but I forget which. I called the lady at the admissions office and she said you get a percent boost for having a masters, you guys can call her yourself and post in this thread just to make sure she wasn't just trying to quickly get off the phone.

I read on the forums (don't even know what to trust anymore) that the formula for uoft is 60% gpa 30% interview 10% DAT? 15% is A LOT!!

I didn't think they did as well, but now it makes sense, either Western or Toronto does % but I forget which. I called the lady at the admissions office and she said you get a percent boost for having a masters, you guys can call her yourself and post in this thread just to make sure she wasn't just trying to quickly get off the phone.

It's Western that goes by percentage. So I have no idea what the admission lady meant by 15%

I read on the forums (don't even know what to trust anymore) that the formula for uoft is 60% gpa 30% interview 10% DAT? 15% is A LOT!!

I never knew UT had a formula, but yea if that's in fact the formula, then 15% is insanely high. Even med schools like Mac give only 1% for Masters and 4% for PhD. And I believe med schools care more (or should care more) about graduate degrees and research compared to dentistry.

I'll try to give them a call tmw to ask about the formula and masters bonus to confirm.

It's Western that goes by percentage. So I have no idea what the admission lady meant by 15%

I never knew UT had a formula, but yea if that's in fact the formula, then 15% is insanely high. Even med schools like Mac give only 1% for Masters and 4% for PhD. And I believe med schools care more (or should care more) about graduate degrees and research compared to dentistry.

I'll try to give them a call tmw to ask about the formula and masters bonus to confirm.

Good idea let us know what they said, honest to god she told me "you get a 5-15% bonus (now didn't say to what) depending on where the masters in from."

I gave them a call and apparently the formula that was mentioned earlier looks correct. 60% GPA, 10% DAT, and 30% interview.

The confusing part is that she told me I can gain 5-10% by doing a masters (% depending on the masters). OP was told 5-15%. I think this is sad on part of the admissions. But at least we know 5% is the least you gain by doing a masters, which is a pretty nice boost IMO.

I gave them a call and apparently the formula that was mentioned earlier looks correct. 60% GPA, 10% DAT, and 30% interview.

The confusing part is that she told me I can gain 5-10% by doing a masters (% depending on the masters). OP was told 5-15%. I think this is sad on part of the admissions. But at least we know 5% is the least you gain by doing a masters, which is a pretty nice boost IMO.

Ok so a 5-10% boost for the average which is GPA + DAT + interview, that makes more sense now

• 4 weeks later...

When I called the admission person at UofT, she said we do not have a preference on graduate programs and they are all looked at equally.

So someone wants to confirm this (maybe a uoft dent student?)? I would highly doubt they prefer some masters degree over the other ones!

When I called the admission person at UofT, she said we do not have a preference on graduate programs and they are all looked at equally.

So someone wants to confirm this (maybe a uoft dent student?)? I would highly doubt they prefer some masters degree over the other ones!

Did they also tell you 5-10% bonus? I don't see why they would have a range then, unless they look at productivity (research or GPA) rather than the particular program.

Did they also tell you 5-10% bonus? I don't see why they would have a range then, unless they look at productivity (research or GPA) rather than the particular program.

No, they didn't mention anything about the percentages. But I guess it's bc the quality of applicants varies each year, so they can't give you an exact percent number? That would be my guess.

So when you called them, did they say they would give you 5-10% depending on the type of masters program??

No, they didn't mention anything about the percentages. But I guess it's bc the quality of applicants varies each year, so they can't give you an exact percent number? That would be my guess.

So when you called them, did they say they would give you 5-10% depending on the type of masters program??

Yes. Maybe it's because you didn't specifically ask them about the kind of bonus/advantage you get when doing a Masters! Someone else here was actually told 5-15% depending on the masters. I can't believe their own admissions gives out conflicting answers.

My best guess is a percentage range (whatever it actually is) depending on the productivity in your Masters (be it research or course-based).

Yes. Maybe it's because you didn't specifically ask them about the kind of bonus/advantage you get when doing a Masters! Someone else here was actually told 5-15% depending on the masters. I can't believe their own admissions gives out conflicting answers.

My best guess is a percentage range (whatever it actually is) depending on the productivity in your Masters (be it research or course-based).

Well, I DID ask them what kind of bonus/advantages we would get by having a masters. When I aksed them if there's a difference b/w having a thesis based or course based masters, they explicitly said there was no difference in terms of bonus we're getting.

I think it's just that they're not being consistent with their answers because they clearly said they look at all masters equally. I don't see why they would lie to us too. Someone should contact them to get a clear answer!

Archived