Premed 101 Forums

Pre-req courses

Guest bioboy2007

Guest bioboy2007

Couldn't find any information on this on this board, so thought I would start a new topic:

I noticed that in UofA's pre-req calculation they use the best score for each of your areas (i.e. if you take 2 Bcem courses, they will use the better mark of the 2). I am planning to take a few advanced pre-reqs in the fall and was wondering whether these would be used for calculating for the pre-req if I was to apply this year.

Also, if anyone is at UofC is there another advanced chem course that I can use as a retake for organic chemistry? Would love to know.

Thanks.

Guest juicyprunes

hi bioboy,

Any courses that do not appear on your official transcripts at the time that you apply (e.g. by application deadline) will not be used as part of GPA calculations.

Good luck!

I applied this last cycle, and the better grade in BCEM 443 I took in Fall 2005 was automatically substituted for the BCEM 393 I took in Winter 2005, so I'd say yes. You can see which courses are being used on the application page.

For o-chem, my guess would be Chemistry 453 - Advanced Organic Chemistry (www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/cale....htm#453). I never took it though, and you'd probably want to talk to Admissions about whether or not it would replace Chem 353.

Have a good one!

EDIT: I'm not sure what juicyprunes is basing that information on--all I know is that as of last year, a mark from the transcript received in February was used in place of a mark from the initial two transcripts.

Archived