Premed 101 Forums

Electronic Gadgets

Hey Everyone,

I'll be starting clerkship in september. Sadly, I'm a relic from the old days. I simply use my cell for texts and making calls. No tablet either, only a laptop.

How useful is the iphone for clerkship? I don't own one but I'm guessing it would be handy for looking up doses? What else can it help you do?

I was kind of leaning towards the Ipad? From senior members, would that be feasible to have during clerkship, or a bit too big to carry?

I've also heard new Galaxy note 10.1 looks nice too with it's ability to write on the large screen etc.

Any recommendations?

the ipad is too big. Unless you are obsessive you will likely end up leaving it on a desk or counter somewhere, which I have seen countless times.

Get yourself either an iphone or ipod touch, which fits in your pocket.

We live in a digital world and there are so many apps right now which can make your life easier in clerkship... Not only for medication dosages, but also for interactions, medical calculators, quick reference for pretty well any discipline, etc etc etc...

If you're not into gadgets, then get used to stuffing your lab coat pockets with books and notes like in the good old days.

I have an iphone AND i stuff my pockets with books and notes. I never carry a reflex hammer though.

I don't even carry a stethoscope since I started residency (except ICU). If I need one (rare) I borrow a nurse's.

Don't feel limited to an iPhone. Any smart phone will do fine.

I don't even carry a stethoscope since I started residency (except ICU). If I need one (rare) I borrow a nurse's.

Don't feel limited to an iPhone. Any smart phone will do fine.

weird, ICU is almost the only place I DON'T need a stethoscope lol, the charts, monitors, ventilators and imaging are far better tools of assessment

weird, ICU is almost the only place I DON'T need a stethoscope lol, the charts, monitors, ventilators and imaging are far better tools of assessment

I agree but since all the med residents carries one on ICU (since there are lots of medicine residents doing it with us Surg residents) I wear it to fit in.

ICU rotations = imaging, monitor and lab rotation

Archived