Premed 101 Forums

Do grades really mater?

#YOLO

Cut-offs mean almost nothing. What matters is the average GPA of the people who were interviewed/admitted to medical schools.

Now, if you want to go to Harvard, then that average GPA happens to be close to 4.0. So if you want to go to Harvard and you can get that GPA, take a back seat and form connections.

I personally think it depends on the application. Either component can balance out weakness in the other area, up to a certain point. I think there are successful applicants of both types.

Everyone wants to know the magic formula, but there really isn't one.

It seems that once you hit the cutoff for schools you're fine. Should academics take the back seat to forming connections and ecs with ppl etc? Is it better to have high grades and some ecs or lots of ecs with cutoff grades

If it's GPA you're talking about, the cut off for mac is 3.0, while the entering average is around 3.9

For MCAT it's a different story, people tell me after the cutoffs it doesn't make much of a difference

If it's GPA you're talking about, the cut off for mac is 3.0, while the entering average is around 3.9

For MCAT it's a different story, people tell me after the cutoffs it doesn't make much of a difference

I can see that. It seems once you break 30 in Ontario, you have a good chance with a decent gpa.

Lol, Harvard/Stanford doesn't want a 4.0 future radiologist who'll be a solid doctor, they want thought leaders... you won't like it, but I'm the kind of nut that Stanford would really consider, since Ivey admissions are insanely more wholistic than robotic Canadian schools where everything fits into a box. Sort of like some law schools here, where you have to write long personal statements. Call me an elitist prick, but 4.0 joe is unlikely to have the personality variables, and life experiences to transcend top notch clinician.

They're actually an uber hippy school and love humanities people... believe it or not, I have higher than average admitted scores with a 3.8 and 33t. The reason they have a low admitted GPA is because they're such a wholistic school.

I wouldn't have even got an interview at a ton of Canadian schools though, so yeah, you were saying you don't like slack docs, me neither, but having a 3.8, a vision, and ability and desire to really be a leader is harder than getting a 4.0, which is prob why their acceptance rate is 2.5 percent despite the low average admitted gpa and mcat.

Now, if you want to go to Harvard, then that average GPA happens to be close to 4.0. So if you want to go to Harvard and you can get that GPA, take a back seat and form connections.

Mind = blown

I saw the same document for earlier admissions, I think it was 3.89. Either that or I'm confusing mac for UofT

The average gpa used to be that high when they didn't use to consider VR and casper/ABS wasn't 50%. I think it used to be 66% gpa 33% ABS back in the day.

Archived