Premed 101 Forums

driving in residency?

Depends on how bad it is. My bf has ADHD and there are few things I hate more than being in the car with him when he's driving. He is always like a split second away from running a red light or crashing into something because he's always distracted. I purposely try and avoid talking to him when he's driving because I know he's incapable of talking and paying attention to the road. That said, he has yet to get into an accident. But I'd hate to, say, put my (imaginary) baby in the car with him or something, lol.

The ****? If he really is a split second away from these things, then he is a split second away from killing someone in the near future

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ****? If he really is a split second away from these things, then he is a split second away from killing someone in the near future

I know, but as I mentioned above, somehow he's evaded that to date (driving for at least 6 years, for sure). Mostly it's just me almost having a heart attack every time.

I disagree that it is required for all residencies or medical schools. I did my entire medical school without a car at Ottawa (the bus strike sucked horribly, yay walking to the grocery store and cabbing home). I did away electives in Toronto, Thornhill, Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, and St. John's without a car as well as Carleton Place, Kemptville and Kitchener. I simply walked or took public transport or cabbed as needed. It was definitely a lot harder but it was possible.

I currently own a car because I am in family medicine and my rotations are in two different cities and it would be extremely difficult to use public transport alone to do my rotations. If I was in something like pediatrics or something else where I am only at one site I'd have likely avoided purchasing a car.

But, I always had a license, just in case I needed a car as waiting a year or so to get a license then pass from G2 to G would make it nearly impossible if I got into a residency requiring a car.

I don't think its possible to get away without a car in clekship/residency. IMO its only possible in large cities. Especially dense cities where everything is closeby anyways. Ie. Montreal. And probably Toronto as well depending on where your rotations are. But if you gotta travel distances......you're asking for some serious unecessary pain. Finances should never be the reason not to get a car in clerkship/residency. If you felt smart saving those few $$ that feeling will quickly fade away in residency.

If you just never got a license, med1 and 2 are GREAT times to get one! You won't have to get one in clerkship when you realize its too late. You're gonna be put in many other sink or swim situations in clerkship, learning to drive from scractch is not a major challenge compared to that.

The more hrs you work the more time becomes more valuable than money. And considering there will be A LOT of hrs to put in for clerkship and residency....better to get prepared as much as possible ahead of time.

EDIT: you will barely have time to check your phone in some clerkship rotations. Let alne anything else. Lately my senior resident has been giving me the evil eye cause I'm spending a few seconds a day making calls (trying to sort out student loan issues) that can only be done during business hrs instead of running around like a chicken with my head cut off. :rolleyes:

Archived