Premed 101 Forums

Why are most "PreMeds" so cold?

loki22

I've noticed that almost every person that is aiming at medical school, at least in my pre-req classes, happen to be very cold and borderline mean - this isn't to say that they all are like that, but most.

Why is it that everyone has to let the rest of the class know that they are a "future doctor", and that they "volunteered x amount of hours" in the past year?

Why do they try to go out of their way to put the lower scoring classmates down, and make themselves look superior in every way they possibly can?

I'm sorry if I'm generalizing here, but it's just annoying to see that these people make the rest of us "normal" med school hopefuls look so bad. It's almost embarassing to admit to classmates that I'm hoping to apply to medical school in the future, when most people in my classes would assume I am an ******* because of it.

Sorry for ranting :(

Insecure a-holes act like insecure a-holes, regardless of what career they're in/want to be in.

So, a-holes who want to be doctors act like a-holes about wanting to be doctors. They're the ones you notice.

Trust me, a-hole wannabe lawyers, a-hole wannabe politicians, a-hole wannabe models, a-hole wannabe investment bankers, etc etc all have the same bs attitude problems you're describing.

Anywhere there's competition, there are jerks yammering on and on about how much better they are than everyone else.

That. A few of my fellow students know my goal (desired careers came up on our student board) and while I'm the only one who identified as an aspiring med student, there were a large number of prevets. The application process is similar, nearly identical, to med school applications, and none of us have gotten competitive about it. We've been sharing tips on profs to get to know so we can get research positions, plan to make an MCAT study group, and so on. It's early, but I haven't seen any cattiness, largely because they just aren't jerks I think.

I've noticed that almost every person that is aiming at medical school, at least in my pre-req classes, happen to be very cold and borderline mean - this isn't to say that they all are like that, but most.

Why is it that everyone has to let the rest of the class know that they are a "future doctor", and that they "volunteered x amount of hours" in the past year?

Why do they try to go out of their way to put the lower scoring classmates down, and make themselves look superior in every way they possibly can?

I'm sorry if I'm generalizing here, but it's just annoying to see that these people make the rest of us "normal" med school hopefuls look so bad. It's almost embarassing to admit to classmates that I'm hoping to apply to medical school in the future, when most people in my classes would assume I am an ******* because of it.

Sorry for ranting :(

Most "premeds" want to get into med school for the $$$ and prestige. They see getting into med school like winning the lottery.

However, most of these gunners will never get it. Some won't get an enough high GPA, others will be weeded in the interview.

Undergrad is a competition, not an "experience," unless you are planning on going to grad school. Get your head in the game. Play to win.

Or just do both. Enjoy your undergrad and set yourself up well for med school. It's totally possible. The top grad from my department last year and the year before both partied and chilled out quite a bit, we went out for drinks almost every weekend. They're both in med school, one at Queens and one at Dal. There are a bunch of others like this at my school too, and HOPEFULLY, I will be another one in the next year.

I've helped at least 5 or 6 people study for the mcat that are in the same applicant pool from my school, we're all buddies, we do our best and that's all. No need to hate on each other :)

so true, i get along with ubiquitously everyone but young professionals in the traditional big four fields. being around it all day is nauseating… like if i post about how i think medicine is overly political and that you should skip certain fields if you're not willing to delve in, they think I'm bragging, it's like an a priori assumption. i'm mad cause i've seen the results of paternalistic idiots on people's lives.

it's even worse when you're one of the best students in the class and you don't buy into the whole game thing, omg you were 3 of 400, what do you wanna do… be a psychologist… why limit yourself… oi, looking back you can only laugh eh. lol, whateves, dentistry's the best anyways ;)

i remember transferring to sciences, and the bio classes stood out like crazy, all people talk about is their career, how smart they are, how their prof is giving them a bad mark because he sucked in undergrad and couldn't get into med, guess they don't know him personally, i wish i had those percentage patents, no debt, doing really cool work… he (his ta, lol) gave you a bad mark likely cause you blew the test, and you're not that smart. so when i say i'm a genius I'm being facetious, lol… other sciences rocked though, chem students kicked so much ass.

Insecure a-holes act like insecure a-holes, regardless of what career they're in/want to be in.

So, a-holes who want to be doctors act like a-holes about wanting to be doctors. They're the ones you notice.

Trust me, a-hole wannabe lawyers, a-hole wannabe politicians, a-hole wannabe models, a-hole wannabe investment bankers, etc etc all have the same bs attitude problems you're describing.

Anywhere there's competition, there are jerks yammering on and on about how much better they are than everyone else.

lol, totally, almost none of my friends we're premeds, and the one's that were wanted to be shrinks, i remember asking if someone in a immunology class i was taking was going to shambhala, or the next area tribe party…. they asked if it was budhist… kind of… lol, except the exploration comes on a lot faster, while other things come off… i always felt like saying we should take you guys to anthro of religion, theres 3 guys, one is gay, and the other has intractable female phobia… and everyone's like hot, it'll be a good confidence boost, maybe we could bring atom smasher, he could move up from young, dumb, and full of fun to looks young, deep, nice buns, and doesn't keep saying um… lol. sorry, can't help it.

Being a loser seems to be an inherent trait.

Hang out with arts and engineering students. They know how to drink and dance and play Diablo III.

so true, i get along with ubiquitously everyone but young professionals in the traditional big four fields. being around it all day is nauseating… like if i post about how i think medicine is overly political and that you should skip certain fields if you're not willing to delve in, they think I'm bragging, it's like an a priori assumption. i'm mad cause i've seen the results of paternalistic idiots on people's lives.

it's even worse when you're one of the best students in the class and you don't buy into the whole game thing, omg you were 3 of 400, what do you wanna do… be a psychologist… why limit yourself… oi, looking back you can only laugh eh. lol, whateves, dentistry's the best anyways ;)

i remember transferring to sciences, and the bio classes stood out like crazy, all people talk about is their career, how smart they are, how their prof is giving them a bad mark because he sucked in undergrad and couldn't get into med, guess they don't know him personally, i wish i had those percentage patents, no debt, doing really cool work… he (his ta, lol) gave you a bad mark likely cause you blew the test, and you're not that smart. so when i say i'm a genius I'm being facetious, lol… other sciences rocked though, chem students kicked so much ass.

Chem ftw! Haha, I love our chem department :)

• 2 weeks later...
Jesus christ where did you people go to school?

I can't even comprehend this type of environment and my entire program (BMSc at Western) was pre-med central.

I hear ya, unless things have changed in the last five years I never experienced this commonly in the BMSc program which was pretty much 100% premed. :rolleyes:

Archived