Premed 101 Forums

reading on computer

cis_man

The terrible resolution (probably 1024x768) on the monitor I was using was large enough. I didn't try to increase it because it was already bigger than what I would have preferred.

In my opinion, only practice on the computer for now. You need to become comfortable with it.

The test center has 15 inch monitors which makes the text look so small..you have to put extra energy to focus on reading for verbal..it sucks. I wish they had at least 17 inch monitors.

The text looked giant to me...

I only practiced at 1024x768 on the last practice test that I did before my real MCAT.

Hey, I can give my 2 cents...

try reading The Economist online... it's free, and the articles are long

also, if you have the finances, try 7SpeedReading or Reader's Edge or some other speed-reading software.... it really enables to focus on the computer and allows you to read quickly...

in the test center I was at, we had 17-inch monitors, and the scrolling-bars were all over the place (but no horizontal, thank god)...

yes, Text is HUGE, but I think that when you get to it, you won't be thinking much of it... plus, the physical sciences is probably easier than verbal to you, so you'll get a chance to get used to the size of text before the section that really matters

On another note, can I change the brightness of the monitor? I have found out that when the brightness is too high my eyes get tired really fast, so I was wondering if I could turn down the brightness on the monitors at the test center...

I don't think this would be allowed either. Your best bet would be to go to your test center early and ask them.

I feel like this would be disabled on the computers, but otherwise it would be very easy to adjust.

Archived