Premed 101 Forums

applying to college help with pre req...help!

Decided to apply to college in ontario...but on their admission website it states...

"any grade 12 English ©, (U) or (M)"

What is the difference between ©, (U) and (M)? Sorry I am not from Ontario so isn't exactly sure. I googled it and apparently © stands for college prep and (U) stand for university prep? But what is the real difference?ly

Also is there a difference in difficult between ©, (U), and (M) course? This may sound like prejudging but is © course easier than (U)?

Sorry for sounding so naive, any help would be much appreciated!

The old system was advanced, general and workplace(?)

Essentially Advanced became U(niversity), general became C(ollege)...

Take the U level if you want to keep your options open.

U will be more difficult than C but not by a huge margin. The difference between U and C math is much greater.

The old system was advanced, general and workplace(?)

Essentially Advanced became U(niversity), general became C(ollege)...

Take the U level if you want to keep your options open.

U will be more difficult than C but not by a huge margin. The difference between U and C math is much greater.

Thanks, that helped. So for all courses, U is more difficult? how unfair is that, college education is just as important as university education.

What about for physics, chem, english, bio and all those courses, is U harder for all those too?

Thanks, that helped. So for all courses, U is more difficult? how unfair is that, college education is just as important as university education.

What about for physics, chem, english, bio and all those courses, is U harder for all those too?

The general consensus among my friends was that yes, they are harder, but not by a great deal. Roughly the same material was covered in my (U) classes as my friends' © classes, it jut had a greater depth. Our exams were actually the same except for one page added to the U one.

No, take all U courses unless you are particularly weak in a subject.

You can go to college with U courses but will have shut the door to University by taking C courses.

The difference is so minimal, as stated above, that you will shoot yourself in the foot for essentially no advantage. Plus, having done U level courses will prepare you much better for college.

I hate the way they have made the courses U and C for the very reason that it makes it sound like the smart kids go to university and the dumb ones go to college. Definitely not always the case!

No, take all U courses unless you are particularly weak in a subject.

You can go to college with U courses but will have shut the door to University by taking C courses.

The difference is so minimal, as stated above, that you will shoot yourself in the foot for essentially no advantage. Plus, having done U level courses will prepare you much better for college.

I hate the way they have made the courses U and C for the very reason that it makes it sound like the smart kids go to university and the dumb ones go to college. Definitely not always the case!

Thanks. The college I am applying specifies that I can take either courses. Just to boost my chance, do you know if it is possible to take grade 12 (U) course and grade 12 © course together at the same time? This will not only give me a through understanding of the subject but I have a back up mark as well.

Decided to apply to college in ontario...but on their admission website it states...

"any grade 12 English ©, (U) or (M)"

What is the difference between ©, (U) and (M)? Sorry I am not from Ontario so isn't exactly sure. I googled it and apparently © stands for college prep and (U) stand for university prep? But what is the real difference?ly

Also is there a difference in difficult between ©, (U), and (M) course? This may sound like prejudging but is © course easier than (U)?

Sorry for sounding so naive, any help would be much appreciated!

i get the feeling you from the states where college and university are interchangeable but in canada university is reffered to a educational insititute that grants degrees while college is means community college and instutie thta grants diplomas so i you you want get a degree you would go to a univeristy and take U courses in highschool and when you apply they calculate the average of your top 6 u course and some programs allow for you to have 2 m courses( with means mixed) in that average while if you wanted a diploma you would go to college(community college) where you could have either c or u courses

Archived